First-Ever Inter Miami Jersey Revealed by Academy Players
The first-ever Inter Miami away jersey, "The RosaNegra" was just revealed to the world at the FORWARD25 event in New York City. The event saw superstars, celebrities and other prominent individuals present each MLS team's jerseys for the upcoming season. Inter Miami, however, was represented by Axel Perez, 13, and Fernando Sanchez, 14.
Why did the Club pick two Academy players to be the face of such a momentous occasion?
Inter Miami is committed to the development of South Florida's own. One of the pillars of the Club is to foster the growth of the region's local talent and create a pipeline for kids hoping to represent their city at the professional level. Before the First Team was even assembled, Inter Miami launched its Academy consisting of 160 youth players. In short, South Florida's youth are a priority for the Club.
Perez and Sanchez are two standout Academy players who were selected to showcase the jersey as they represent the city's unique culture and flair. Both players are Miami-Dade born Cuban-Americans who have starred for the Inter Miami U-14 team that has gone undefeated in U.S. Soccer Development Academy league play to this point. They were also among the first players to ever wear the Inter Miami badge, participating in the first Academy training session in June 2019 and the first matches in South Florida in September 2019.
The U-14 teammates also helped guide their team to successful results in the International Champions Cup Futures tournament in December. The team faced the likes of LA Galaxy, FC Barcelona and Juventus FC in the tournament, emerging victorious against both the Galaxy and Juventus.
Perez has stood out as one of the country's best players born in 2007; the midfielder was selected to represent the U.S. Men's Youth National Team U-14s despite being just 12 years old at the time.
Sanchez is a natural-born leader who has captained the Inter Miami U-14s. The defensive midfielder/center back is a confident young player who never shies away from a challenge and energizes his teammates.
For these reasons, among others, they were the perfect candidates to model Inter Miami's first-ever away jersey.
"I'm super proud to represent Inter Miami," said Sanchez. "I'm really excited to wear the first-ever jersey. I think the crest is beautiful and the colors really represent South Florida."
"I think that choosing Academy players to reveal the jersey really shows how the Club is committed to showing South Florida's talent and how committed they are to developing the players of the Academy."
Perez shared a similar sentiment, expressing an admiration for the Club's focus on its stars of the future.
"This is a big milestone for Inter Miami and to show that they picked Academy players is also such a big experience for us and shows that the Academy is going to be a big part of Inter Miami and the future is going to be invested in it," said Perez.
The pair stood on stage surrounded by high-profile individuals at Penn Plaza Pavilion in New York City as representations of Inter Miami's values. They brought South Florida's boldness to a national stage and wore the colors proudly.
"The jersey shows Miami's style," said Perez. "Pink, black, it shows the culture here in Miami, the fashion. It shows Miami all over."
The two of them also shared what stands out to them about the jersey and why they were so excited for the world to get to see it.
"My favorite part of the jersey is the colors and how they mix," said Perez. "The style of the jersey, the way it feels, it's just super nice. I love it."
"One thing I really like about the jersey is the herons and I love that it says, 'freedom to dream.' That really shows what the Academy is about and a lot about our Club," added Sanchez.
With less than a month remaining until the Club makes its worldwide debut, the excitement continues to build. Fans had been eagerly awaiting the release of the inaugural jersey, but that only excited Perez even further.
"Inter Miami is a worldwide Club," said Perez. "To represent Inter Miami as an Academy player is such a huge experience. To wear the First Team jersey of this Club is something I'll never forget."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 5, 2020
- Preseason Game Report #2: Montreal Impact 0-1 Philadelphia Union - Montreal Impact
- New York Red Bulls and Ninja Unveil 2020 Dark Mode Kit - New York Red Bulls
- Major League Soccer and adidas Reveal 2020 Jersey Collection at Star-Studded FORWARD25 Event - MLS
- Minnesota United Presents 2020 Wing Kit - Minnesota United FC
- Orlando City SC Reveals 2020 Heart & Sol Away Kit Presented by Orlando Health - Orlando City SC
- First-Ever Inter Miami Jersey Revealed by Academy Players - Inter Miami CF
- Sporting Unveils New Secondary Jersey - Sporting Kansas City
- Colorado Rapids Unveil New 2020 Primary Kit at FORWARD25 Event - Colorado Rapids
- Nashville SC Launches First Major League Soccer Away Jersey - Nashville SC
- Your Jersey Is Here: Inter Miami CF Unveils Inaugural Away Jersey "The RosaNegra" - Inter Miami CF
- Major League Soccer, adidas reveal Atlanta United's King's Kit at #FORWARD25 celebration - Atlanta United FC
- LAFC Unveils New Primary Black Jersey for 2020-21 Seasons - Los Angeles FC
- Whitecaps FC Unveil the Wave Jersey for 2020 Season - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Chicago Fire FC Unveils the 2020 Homecoming Kit - Chicago Fire
- Major League Soccer and adidas Reveal New 2020 Club Jerseys at #forward25 Celebration - D.C. United
- Impact Unveils New Secondary Kit - Montreal Impact
- FC Dallas Unveils the Legacy Kit for 2020 Season - FC Dallas
- Sounders FC Unveils New Primary Rave Green Kit for 2020-2021 Seasons - Seattle Sounders FC
- "BOLD": Introducing FC Cincinnati's primary 2020 kit - FC Cincinnati
- Alashe nets decisive goal in FCC's final match in Arizona - FC Cincinnati
- Sounders FC Earns 6-2 Win over Sacramento Republic FC in Preseason Friendly at CenturyLink Field - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy Sign Defender Nick DePuy - LA Galaxy
- Colorado Rapids 2020 Preseason Roster Update - Colorado Rapids
- Sounders FC Signs Defender Yeimar Gomez Andrade - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy to Host Victoria Block Party at Dignity Health Sports Park this Saturday, February 8 - LA Galaxy
- FC Cincinnati Sign Moroccan Midfielder Adrien Regattin - FC Cincinnati
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Inter Miami CF Stories
- Matchday Guide: Inter Miami CF vs. Philadelphia Union
- Match Preview: Inter Miami CF to Face Philadelphia Union in Second MLS Is Back Tournament Match
- Diego Alonso: "We Defend a City That Rises Every Day to Work with the Goal of Being BetterÃ¢ÂÂ
- Morgan: "We'Ve Got Enough Talent and Enough Desire to WinÃ¢ÂÂ
- Ambrose, Argudo, Carranza and Chapman Make Inter Miami Debuts