Sounders FC Unveils New Primary Rave Green Kit for 2020-2021 Seasons
SEATTLE, WASH. - Seattle Sounders FC today unveiled, in conjunction with Major League Soccer and adidas, its newest Rave Green kit, which will serve as the club's primary jersey for the 2020 and 2021 MLS seasons. Officially dubbed "Forever Green," the kit includes special elements recognizing Sounders FC's commitment to preserving the natural beauty of the region, while including a league-wide celebration of MLS' 25th season with retro '90s features. The jersey is currently available at Sounders FC Pro Shops and at MLSStore.com.
One of the most noticeable elements of Forever Green is its distinctive wave pattern across the front panel. The waves serve as both a nod to the club's historic pre-MLS logos while also symbolizing the team's dedication to sustainability, including respecting the waters of the Puget Sound. In 2019, Sounders FC became the first professional sports team across the five major men's professional sports leagues - MLS, NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL - and the first professional soccer team in North America to become carbon neutral, putting into practice the team's stated commitment to environmental causes.
The team's crest features two stars this season: a permanent silver star commemorating the 2016 MLS Cup Championship, as well as a larger gold star located above the silver star in recognition of Sounders FC's status as defending champions following the 2019 MLS Cup title.
The jersey's jock tag (right) and back neck transfer (below left) are also unique to Forever Green and symbolize the club's love and respect for its homeland. The jock tag now features an outline of the state of Washington, paying homage to Seattle's place in the Pacific Northwest.
The neck transfer displays the Cascadian flag, one of the primary symbols of the Cascadia bioregion. Designed by Alexander Baretich in 1995, this tricolor flag consists of horizontal stripes of blue, white and green, with a Douglas fir tree centered on top of the bars. The colors represent the blue of the sky, lakes, Pacific Ocean and Salish Sea; the white of clouds and snow; and the green of the region's fields and evergreen forests. The fir tree symbolizes endurance, defiance and resilience. In its entirety, the flag was designed to represent the interconnected nature of the bioregion and the various forces that are reflective of the special area. Sounders FC worked directly with Baretich for permission to include the flag on the Forever Green kit as part of the club's desire to show its passion for the region and its dedication to preserving the unique ecosystems therein.
As MLS celebrates its 25th season in 2020, kits league-wide feature distinctive retro elements, including three bold stripes across the right shoulder and wider cuffs and collars. Additionally, all jerseys feature a new font in 2020. The official MLS name and number jersey font for 2020 is a dynamic, energetic and bold graphic typeface that introduces a layering tri-line effect. The font was designed in collaboration with MLS by Rick Banks, lead designer and typographer of Face37, an award-winning graphic design studio based in Manchester, England.
The popular Nightfall, introduced last season, remains Sounders FC's secondary option in 2020. The unique black kit with striking pink accents was designed by the club and adidas using inspiration from the evening sky over CenturyLink Field during an iconic match in Sounders FC history, as Seattle faced rival Portland in front of 64,207 home fans on July 13, 2014. The pink sky highlighted an amazing game in which Clint Dempsey and Marco Pappa led the team to victory with a goal apiece.
Zulily enters its second season as Sounders FC's jersey sponsor in 2020, following an inaugural season that saw the team claim its second MLS Cup Championship. A global retailer dedicated to delivering a curated, discovery-driven and fun shopping experience to millions of customers since 2010, Zulily is headquartered in Seattle.
Sounders FC continues its preseason training with a trip to Mexico City this week, where the team is training until departing for a Thursday, February 20 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League matchup against Honduran side Olimpia in San Pedro Sula. The club then returns to Seattle to host Olimpia at CenturyLink Field on Wednesday, February 27 before kicking off the MLS season hosting Chicago Fire FC on Sunday, March 1 at 12:00 p.m. PT in a nationally televised matchup on ESPN.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 5, 2020
- Preseason Game Report #2: Montreal Impact 0-1 Philadelphia Union - Montreal Impact
- New York Red Bulls and Ninja Unveil 2020 Dark Mode Kit - New York Red Bulls
- Major League Soccer and adidas Reveal 2020 Jersey Collection at Star-Studded FORWARD25 Event - MLS
- Minnesota United Presents 2020 Wing Kit - Minnesota United FC
- Orlando City SC Reveals 2020 Heart & Sol Away Kit Presented by Orlando Health - Orlando City SC
- First-Ever Inter Miami Jersey Revealed by Academy Players - Inter Miami CF
- Sporting Unveils New Secondary Jersey - Sporting Kansas City
- Colorado Rapids Unveil New 2020 Primary Kit at FORWARD25 Event - Colorado Rapids
- Nashville SC Launches First Major League Soccer Away Jersey - Nashville SC
- Your Jersey Is Here: Inter Miami CF Unveils Inaugural Away Jersey "The RosaNegra" - Inter Miami CF
- Major League Soccer, adidas reveal Atlanta United's King's Kit at #FORWARD25 celebration - Atlanta United FC
- LAFC Unveils New Primary Black Jersey for 2020-21 Seasons - Los Angeles FC
- Whitecaps FC Unveil the Wave Jersey for 2020 Season - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Chicago Fire FC Unveils the 2020 Homecoming Kit - Chicago Fire
- Major League Soccer and adidas Reveal New 2020 Club Jerseys at #forward25 Celebration - D.C. United
- Impact Unveils New Secondary Kit - Montreal Impact
- FC Dallas Unveils the Legacy Kit for 2020 Season - FC Dallas
- Sounders FC Unveils New Primary Rave Green Kit for 2020-2021 Seasons - Seattle Sounders FC
- "BOLD": Introducing FC Cincinnati's primary 2020 kit - FC Cincinnati
- Alashe nets decisive goal in FCC's final match in Arizona - FC Cincinnati
- Sounders FC Earns 6-2 Win over Sacramento Republic FC in Preseason Friendly at CenturyLink Field - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy Sign Defender Nick DePuy - LA Galaxy
- Colorado Rapids 2020 Preseason Roster Update - Colorado Rapids
- Sounders FC Signs Defender Yeimar Gomez Andrade - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy to Host Victoria Block Party at Dignity Health Sports Park this Saturday, February 8 - LA Galaxy
- FC Cincinnati Sign Moroccan Midfielder Adrien Regattin - FC Cincinnati
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Seattle Sounders FC Stories
- Sounders FC Opens MLS Is Back Tournament with Scoreless Draw against San Jose Earthquakes
- Sounders FC and JOEtv to Produce Live Post-Match Show During MLS Is Back Tournament
- Schedule Changes for Sounders FC Announced in MLS Is Back Tournament
- Sounders FC Announces WaFd Bank as Jersey Sleeve Patch Partner for 2020 Season
- RAVE Foundation and Seattle Storm Unite with Symetra Life Insurance Company to Renovate Public Multi-Purpose Recreation Space for Youth