Alashe nets decisive goal in FCC's final match in Arizona
TUCSON, Ariz. - FC Cincinnati defeated El Paso Locomotive FC, 1-0, this afternoon at Kino North Stadium. Fatai Alashe's 81st-minute strike secured the win for the Orange and Blue, while PrzemysÅaw TytoÅ earned his first shutout of preseason.
Following a scoreless first half, FC Cincinnati made a mass substitution in the 62nd minute, bringing nine new players on the pitch for the remainder of the match. El Paso's best chance at breaking the deadlock came in the 64th minute, when TytoÅ made a key save on Locomotive FC's Marios Lomis, who got behind the backline and had only the keeper to beat.
FCC scored the lone goal of the match late in the second half, when Alashe capitalized from close range on a deflection from a ball crossed into the box from Tommy McCabe.
Tomorrow, FC Cincinnati will return from a 19-day training trip in Tucson, and will resume their preseason schedule when they travel to Bradenton, Fla. on Monday, Feb. 10. The Orange and Blue are scheduled to play the Philadelphia Union (Feb. 12), Nashville SC (Feb. 16) and KR Reykjavik and Sarasota Metropolis FC (Feb. 21, split-squad games) to close out their preseason slate.
FC Cincinnati will return to the field for their second MLS season on Sunday, March 1, when the team opens the season on the road against the New York Red Bulls. After a road game at Atlanta United FC on Saturday, March 7, FCC will open their 2020 home slate on Saturday, March 14, when the team hosts D.C. United at Nippert Stadium in a 5:30 p.m. game.
Season Ticket Memberships are still available for purchase and start at $230 per ticket. A 2020 Season Ticket Membership also secures fans' place on the club's priority list, which will be utilized when sales begin in the new West End Stadium for the 2021 season. Information about all 2020 ticket options - season tickets, multiple-game options, group tickets and individual-game tickets - is available at fccincinnati.com/tickets or by calling 513-977-5425 (KICK).
For up-to-the-minute information about FC Cincinnati, visit the team's official website at fccincinnati.com, or follow the team on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook at @FCCincinnati.
FC Cincinnati 1, El Paso Locomotive FC 0
Kino North Stadium | Tucson, Ariz.
Wednesday, February 5, 2020
CIN - Fatai Alashe (unassisted) 81'
FC Cincinnati: PrzemysÅaw TytoÅ, Mathieu Deplagne (Zico Bailey 62'), Maikel van der Werff (Nick Hagglund 62'), Kendall Waston © (Saad Abdul-Salaam 62'), Greg Garza (Andrew Gutman HT), Haris Medunjanin (Tommy McCabe 62'), Allan Cruz (Caleb Stanko 62'), Frankie Amaya (Fatai Alashe 62'), Joseph-Claude Gyau (Jimmy McLaughlin 62'), Brandon Vazquez (Joris Ahlinvi 62'), Yuya Kubo (Rey Ortiz 62')
Bench: Bobby Edwards, Spencer Richey, Darren Mattocks
El Paso Locomotive FC (First Half): Logan Keterrer, Bryam RebellÃ³n, Fabrice Fokobo, Chiro N'toko (Trialist #2 31'), Moses Makinde, Distel Zola, Richie Ryan (Drew Beckie 31'), Nick Ross, Alexy Bosetti (Saeed Robinson 31'), Trialist #1 (Trialist #3 31'), Omar Salgado (Marios Lomis 31')
El Paso Locomotive FC (Second Half): Jermaine Fordah, Bryam RebellÃ³n, Drew Beckie, Chiro N'toko (Guillermo Diaz 62'), Andrew Fox (Moses Makinde 62'), Trialist #1, Richie Ryan (Distel Zola 62'), Nick Ross (Fabrice Fokobo 62'), Alexy Bosetti (Trialist #3 62'), Saeed Robinson, Omar Salgado (Marios Lomis 62'),
ELP - Moses Makinde (caution) 24'
ELP - Distel Zola (caution) 71'
Weather: 46 degrees, mostly cloudy
Today's game was FC Cincinnati's third preseason game of 2020 ... FCC are currently 2-1-0 through three preseason contests
Fatai Alashe is FC Cincinnati's fourth goalscorer of preseason ... Andrew Gutman, Joseph-Claude Gyau and Tommy McCabe have also tallied for FCC through three preseason matches.
PrzemysÅaw TytoÅ was the only FCC player to play all 90 minutes in tonight's contest
Kekuta Manneh (shoulder/limited participation) and Tom Pettersson (groin/limited participation) were unavailable for today's match
The Orange and Blue will resume their preseason schedule next week when they travel to Bradenton, Fla. ... FCC are scheduled to play the Philadelphia Union (Feb. 12), Nashville SC (Feb. 16) and KR Reykjavik / Sarasota Metropolis FC (Feb. 21, split-squad games)
FC Cincinnati Head Coach Ron Jans
On the match
"The first half, I was pretty pleased what we created. We were much better. We dominated the game, but we didn't reward ourselves. It should've been two or three-nil. They had no chance in the first half. The second half, I think it was a little more open and after 60 minutes we changed the team. I think the goal we scored with Alashe was a deserved win, but the second half was much more sloppy from both sides. I was satisfied with the first half and now we can go home."
On if he was satisfied on chances created against El Paso
"Yeah, we created so many chances. I wrote them all down. I think we had 300% chances and maybe eight or nine opportunities to score a goal. And when you don't score, you do something wrong. Also, in the first and the second game, we are still not efficient enough and we have to work on that and we keep doing that."
On the preseason trip to Arizona
"Yeah, it was a good trip. We got to know each other, the players. I think we worked very hard, so in two and a half weeks, they got stronger and physically it was good. We did a lot of tactical stuff and now it's about finishing. We have three more friendly games and then it's going to New York."
FC Cincinnati Midfielder Fatai Alashe
On scoring a goal
"It was good. I think it was a good game for the guys, just trying to build more chemistry and stuff like that. Work on our shape and our tactics. Obviously, it was nice for me being able to play 30 minutes and obviously score a goal. It's always good to see the ball go into the back of the net."
On if today's match was a nice conclusion to the preseason trip
"Yeah, I think it's important not to focus too much on the results in preseason. I think we're just doing a lot of trying to work on ourselves - obviously you want to win every game you play - but, I think the most important thing is focusing on building and figuring out the way we want to play and executing it."
On if he feels like the team has come a long way during the first preseason trip
"Yeah, it's been a long two and a half, almost three weeks, so I think the biggest thing is just trying to build chemistry in the group. Guys are still getting to know each other, building relationships on the field as well as off the field. I think we've come a long way and I think we'll look forward to building more when we get to Florida."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 5, 2020
- Preseason Game Report #2: Montreal Impact 0-1 Philadelphia Union - Montreal Impact
- New York Red Bulls and Ninja Unveil 2020 Dark Mode Kit - New York Red Bulls
- Major League Soccer and adidas Reveal 2020 Jersey Collection at Star-Studded FORWARD25 Event - MLS
- Minnesota United Presents 2020 Wing Kit - Minnesota United FC
- Orlando City SC Reveals 2020 Heart & Sol Away Kit Presented by Orlando Health - Orlando City SC
- First-Ever Inter Miami Jersey Revealed by Academy Players - Inter Miami CF
- Sporting Unveils New Secondary Jersey - Sporting Kansas City
- Colorado Rapids Unveil New 2020 Primary Kit at FORWARD25 Event - Colorado Rapids
- Nashville SC Launches First Major League Soccer Away Jersey - Nashville SC
- Your Jersey Is Here: Inter Miami CF Unveils Inaugural Away Jersey "The RosaNegra" - Inter Miami CF
- Major League Soccer, adidas reveal Atlanta United's King's Kit at #FORWARD25 celebration - Atlanta United FC
- LAFC Unveils New Primary Black Jersey for 2020-21 Seasons - Los Angeles FC
- Whitecaps FC Unveil the Wave Jersey for 2020 Season - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Chicago Fire FC Unveils the 2020 Homecoming Kit - Chicago Fire
- Major League Soccer and adidas Reveal New 2020 Club Jerseys at #forward25 Celebration - D.C. United
- Impact Unveils New Secondary Kit - Montreal Impact
- FC Dallas Unveils the Legacy Kit for 2020 Season - FC Dallas
- Sounders FC Unveils New Primary Rave Green Kit for 2020-2021 Seasons - Seattle Sounders FC
- "BOLD": Introducing FC Cincinnati's primary 2020 kit - FC Cincinnati
- Alashe nets decisive goal in FCC's final match in Arizona - FC Cincinnati
- Sounders FC Earns 6-2 Win over Sacramento Republic FC in Preseason Friendly at CenturyLink Field - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy Sign Defender Nick DePuy - LA Galaxy
- Colorado Rapids 2020 Preseason Roster Update - Colorado Rapids
- Sounders FC Signs Defender Yeimar Gomez Andrade - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy to Host Victoria Block Party at Dignity Health Sports Park this Saturday, February 8 - LA Galaxy
- FC Cincinnati Sign Moroccan Midfielder Adrien Regattin - FC Cincinnati
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent FC Cincinnati Stories
- Head coach Jaap Stam to join Friday's Braxton Brewing Co. Virtual Happy Hour on Friday
- Final West End Stadium Seat Design Released; Choice Determined Via Fan Vote and Feedback
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: May 26, 2020
- Jaap Stam Named FC Cincinnati Head Coach
- FC Cincinnati expand club's player development pyramid