Fireflies Game Notes: July 26 at Rome (Game 100)
Columbia Fireflies (14-18, 48-51) @ Rome Braves (15-18, 55-47)
RHP Zac Grotz (1-3, 5.94) vs. LHP Hayden Deal (5-1, 1.86)
Thurs., July 26, 2018 - State Mutual Stadium (Rome, GA) - First Pitch 7:00 p.m. - Game 100
LISTEN: Fox Sports Radio 1400 AM / ColumbiaFireflies.com / iHeartRadio App
ABOUT LAST GAME: Gio Alfonzo smacked two doubles in Columbia's 7-2 loss to Rome on Wednesday at State Mutual Stadium. Tony Dibrell lasted six innings on the mound in his 17th start of the season (5 H, 2 R, 4 K). The righty has absorbed two runs or fewer in eight of his last 10 outings.
ADJUSTMENT: Edgardo Fermin has played 72 games at shortstop this season. However, recently, the 20-year-old has shifted to centerfield. He's only played 11 total games in CF, but three of these have come over his last three games.
STRIKEOUT LEADERBOARD: Tony Dibrell continues to creep closer to the single-season strikeout record in Fireflies history.
1. RHP Joe Shaw (2016) - 134 K
2. RHP Chase Ingram (2016) - 134 K
3. LHP Kevin Canelon (2016) - 119 K
4. RHP Tony Dibrell (2018) - 110 K
GOOD ROOTS: Edgardo Alfonzo's nephew, Gio, has had a great week at the plate for the Fireflies. The 25-year-old is on a four-game hitting streak. Alfonzo has been the ultimate utility player as well. He's been placed at six different positions throughout the season. Alfonzo has committed just three errors since May 15 (30 games).
SUPER SCOTT: Catcher Scott Manea has put together a splendid month of July:
- 20 GP: .288 BA, .420 OBP, 9 R, 8 2B, 3 HR, 17 RBI, 11 BB
His July batting average is the highest on the team and the catcher started in 16 straight games up until game two of Tuesday's doubleheader.
GOOD FORMULA: Columbia's offense has drawn the most walks (318) and has struck out the fewest times (714) in the South Atlantic League.
YOUNG AND SKILLED: Mets top prospect and former Firefly Andres Gimenez was promoted to Double-A Binghamton Monday. The 19-year-old is now the second-youngest player at the Double-A level (Vladimir Guerrero Jr. is the youngest). Gimenez left Advanced-A St. Lucie tied for the league-lead with 28 stolen bases. He also hit .282 in 86 games with the Mets.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 26, 2018
- Yajure's Five Shutout Innings Fuel RiverDogs in Series Winner - Charleston RiverDogs
- Suns Sweep 'Birds After Long Layoff - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Two RBIs from Ramos Not Enough - Augusta GreenJackets
- Crawdads Take Down Drive, 5-2 - Greenville Drive
- Matias Powers Legends into First Place - Lexington Legends
- Rheams and Winaker Each Produce Three Hits on Thursday - Columbia Fireflies
- Hoppers Avoid Sweep, BlueClaws Fall 6-2 on Thursday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Power Swept Again Despite Stratton Going the Distance - West Virginia Power
- Reliever Kyle Zurak Promoted to Advanced-A Tampa - Charleston RiverDogs
- Three Game Homestand Starts Tomorrow=21 - West Virginia Power
- Preview: Looking to Avoid a Sweep - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Fireflies Game Notes: July 26 at Rome (Game 100) - Columbia Fireflies
- Riley Park Club to Host Third Installment of Lowcountry Sports Forum - Charleston RiverDogs
- 7eventh Time Down to Perform During Upcoming Legends Homestand - Lexington Legends
- West Virginia Power: Promotional Notes (July 27-29) - West Virginia Power
- WEST VIRGINIA POWER: Game Notes (July 26) - West Virginia Power
- Promo Preview: Dollar Dog Tuesday and More - Hickory Crawdads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbia Fireflies Stories
- Columbia Stumbles in Opener to West Virginia
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: April 22 at West Virginia (Game 17)
- Dirocie Goes Yard, Columbia Drops Pair of One-Run Games
- Fireflies Game Notes: April 20 Doubleheader vs. Hickory (Games 15 & 16)
- Rain Postpones Friday's Game against Hickory