Yajure's Five Shutout Innings Fuel RiverDogs in Series Winner
CHARLESTON, S.C. - Right-hander Miguel Yajure dealt five scoreless frames with six strikeouts as the Charleston RiverDogs won their third straight and claimed the four-game series against the Augusta GreenJackets, 4-2, in front of 4,128 at Riley Park on Thursday night.
The Venezuelan hurler faced two over the minimum in the effort with no walks and struck out the side in the fifth to end his night at 61 pitches. Yajure (3-2) capped off a phenomenal series for RiverDogs (50-50, 17-15) starters, who combined for 23 innings, two runs, 27 punchouts and no walks.
Charleston's offensive charge was led by shortstop Wilkerman Garcia and designated hitter Jason Lopez, who both went 3-for-4 and combined for three of the Dogs' four RBI. Garcia doubled home second baseman Welfrin Mateo for the game's first run in the third inning. Lopez roped one his two doubles in the next at-bat off Augusta (50-52, 13-21) starter Aaron Phillips (3-6), plating Garcia to make it 2-0.
The Holy City added an insurance run in the sixth on a Leonardo Molina knock, scoring Jason Lopez after his second two-bagger. Mateo scored his second run in the seventh on Garcia's third hit, a single off reliever John Russell. Garcia, Lopez, Molina and Mateo went a combined 10-for-15, accounting for all of Charleston's offense.
Righty Alexander Vargas threw three innings out of the bullpen, surrendering both Augusta runs but keeping the Dogs' lead intact. Reliever Braden Bristo shut the door with a pair of strikeouts in a scoreless ninth, earning his ninth save and lowering his ERA to 1.96.
With the victory, Charleston claimed its first series victory since taking two of three in Columbia on July 7-9. The series finale defeat in Columbia snapped the RiverDogs' four-game winning streak, and the Dogs had not won at least three straight since.
It was a Budweiser Thirsty Thursday presented by 95SX down at The Joe. Fans enjoyed dollar beers in the Budweiser Ashley View Pub and bopped to the beats of DJ Natty Heavy.
The RiverDogs next welcome the Boston Red Sox Class-A affiliate Greenville Drive for a three-game weekend set. Friday's series opener features Charleston right-hander Janson Junk (4-2, 3.90) and southpaw Jhonathan Diaz (6-6, 3.69). The contest can be tuned into on "The Big Talker" 1250 WTMA with audio streaming live at riverdogs.com and the RiverDogs' TuneIn radio station, and live video on MiLB.tv.
RiverDogs single-game tickets, including options to the Riley Park Club, are now available for the 2018 campaign, the club's 25th season as the RiverDogs and their "175th season in dog years." Ticket information can be secured by contacting the box office at (843) 577-DOGS (3647) or online at www.riverdogs.com/tickets.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 26, 2018
- Yajure's Five Shutout Innings Fuel RiverDogs in Series Winner - Charleston RiverDogs
- Suns Sweep 'Birds After Long Layoff - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Two RBIs from Ramos Not Enough - Augusta GreenJackets
- Crawdads Take Down Drive, 5-2 - Greenville Drive
- Matias Powers Legends into First Place - Lexington Legends
- Rheams and Winaker Each Produce Three Hits on Thursday - Columbia Fireflies
- Hoppers Avoid Sweep, BlueClaws Fall 6-2 on Thursday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Power Swept Again Despite Stratton Going the Distance - West Virginia Power
- Reliever Kyle Zurak Promoted to Advanced-A Tampa - Charleston RiverDogs
- Three Game Homestand Starts Tomorrow=21 - West Virginia Power
- Preview: Looking to Avoid a Sweep - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Fireflies Game Notes: July 26 at Rome (Game 100) - Columbia Fireflies
- Riley Park Club to Host Third Installment of Lowcountry Sports Forum - Charleston RiverDogs
- 7eventh Time Down to Perform During Upcoming Legends Homestand - Lexington Legends
- West Virginia Power: Promotional Notes (July 27-29) - West Virginia Power
- WEST VIRGINIA POWER: Game Notes (July 26) - West Virginia Power
- Promo Preview: Dollar Dog Tuesday and More - Hickory Crawdads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charleston RiverDogs Stories
- RiverDogs Announce Valentine's Day Packages
- Mosquera Returns as RiverDogs Manager in 2019
- RiverDogs Seeking to Fill More Than 200 Gameday Positions at Upcoming Job Fairs
- Smoak, Singleton & Veeck to Join Johnny Damon at RiverDogs Hot Stove Banquet
- RiverDogs Add Four to Front Office Staff Heading into Season