Hoppers Avoid Sweep, BlueClaws Fall 6-2 on Thursday
LAKEWOOD, NJ - Marcos Rivera's two-run home run in the fifth inning broke a 2-2 tie as Greensboro topped the BlueClaws 6-2 on Thursday night at FirstEnergy Park.
Jose Devers had four hits while Rivera and Isael Soto had three apiece as the Grasshoppers (15-18/49-53) avoided a sweep of the four-game series.
Lakewood (21-12/62-40) was looking for their first four-game sweep of the season.
After an Isael Soto first inning RBI single, the BlueClaws took the lead in the bottom of the first on a 2-run double up the right-centerfield alley from Matt Vierling.
Greensboro tied the game in the fourth inning when Soto come home on a double-play groundout by Harrison DiNicola. They took the lead in the fifth on Marcos Rivera's 10th home run of the season, a two-run shot onto the grass berm in left field.
The Grasshoppers added two runs in the eighth off Ismael Cabrera on a SAC frly from Harrison DiNiCola and an RBI single from Christopher Torres.
BlueClaws starter Damon Jones (7-5) allowed four runs on eight hits over six innings of work.
Grasshoppers starter Scott Sebald (2-3) gave up two runs in the first, but nothing else over five innings, and retired the last 13 hitters that he faced.
Simon Muzziotti and Matt Vierling each had two hits for the BlueClaws.
The BlueClaws open a FirstEnergy Park series with Hagerstown on Friday night at 7:05 pm.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 26, 2018
- Yajure's Five Shutout Innings Fuel RiverDogs in Series Winner - Charleston RiverDogs
- Suns Sweep 'Birds After Long Layoff - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Two RBIs from Ramos Not Enough - Augusta GreenJackets
- Crawdads Take Down Drive, 5-2 - Greenville Drive
- Matias Powers Legends into First Place - Lexington Legends
- Rheams and Winaker Each Produce Three Hits on Thursday - Columbia Fireflies
- Hoppers Avoid Sweep, BlueClaws Fall 6-2 on Thursday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Power Swept Again Despite Stratton Going the Distance - West Virginia Power
- Reliever Kyle Zurak Promoted to Advanced-A Tampa - Charleston RiverDogs
- Three Game Homestand Starts Tomorrow=21 - West Virginia Power
- Preview: Looking to Avoid a Sweep - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Fireflies Game Notes: July 26 at Rome (Game 100) - Columbia Fireflies
- Riley Park Club to Host Third Installment of Lowcountry Sports Forum - Charleston RiverDogs
- 7eventh Time Down to Perform During Upcoming Legends Homestand - Lexington Legends
- West Virginia Power: Promotional Notes (July 27-29) - West Virginia Power
- WEST VIRGINIA POWER: Game Notes (July 26) - West Virginia Power
- Promo Preview: Dollar Dog Tuesday and More - Hickory Crawdads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.