Matias Powers Legends into First Place
MCCORMICK FIELD (Asheville, NC) - Seuly Matias set a new Lexington Legends single season franchise record for home runs (29) with two long balls in the series finale against the Asheville Tourists. With the victory, the Legends now move into first place in the Southern Division of the South Atlantic League with a second season record of 18-14.
The Legends scored first in the top of the first inning. Kyle Isbel drew a leadoff walk then was joined on the base path when Nick Pratto drew a walk. Matias then doubled them both home and Lexington led 2-0.
In the top of the third, Cristian Perez doubled to left field. Pratto then was walked and MJ Melendez blasted a three-run homer to right centerfield. Manny Olloque then hit a solo homer to left field and the Legends led 6-0.
Lexington continued scoring in the top of the fourth inning. Cal Jones singled to left field then Ricky Aracena hit a two-run home run to left centerfield.
In the top of the fifth, Matias smacked a leadoff home run, extending Lexington's lead 9-0. Melendez then singled to centerfield and moved to third on a double by Jeison Guzman. Aracena then hit an RBI single to left field allowing Melendez to score.
Matias hit his second homer of the ballgame in the top of the sixth inning with two outs. His 29 home runs is a new single season home run franchise record for the Legends. Matias finished the night 3-5 with two runs and four RBI.
Daniel Lynch was awarded the win for Lexington tossing 5.0 shutout innings allowing six hits while striking out three. Nick Kennedy was given the loss pitching 5.0 innings allowing ten runs on 11 hits while walking three and striking out five.
The Legends now welcome the Rome Braves for a three-game series beginning tomorrow, July 27 at 7:05 p.m. Both pitchers are TBD. Our #stachetastic friends at T-Mobile will be hosting Veterans Appreciation Night at Whitaker Bank Ballpark on Friday, July 27 during the Legends game against the Rome Braves. The night will consist of events honoring all branches of the military and learning more about the program T-Mobile unveiled this season. Before the game, all military personnel can stop by the Legends Box Office with their identification and receive a FREE ticket to the game! #HatsOff4Heroes is a program that'll see T-Mobile donate $1 to Team Rubicon every time anyone uses the hashtag #HatsOff4Heroes on Twitter and Instagram. The hashtag counts whether you're a T-Mobile customer or not, and T-Mobile says that they donate a minimum of $1 million. Following the game, the Legends will have sensory-friendly fireworks sponsored by AARP that will not produce the normal amount of noise that traditional fireworks set off.
The Legends, a Class A affiliate of the Kansas City Royals and member of the South Atlantic League, play all home games at Whitaker Bank Ballpark in Lexington, Kentucky. For ticket information, call (859) 422-7867 or visit LexingtonLegends.com.
Images from this story
Seuly Matias at bat for the Lexington Legends
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 26, 2018
- Yajure's Five Shutout Innings Fuel RiverDogs in Series Winner - Charleston RiverDogs
- Suns Sweep 'Birds After Long Layoff - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Two RBIs from Ramos Not Enough - Augusta GreenJackets
- Crawdads Take Down Drive, 5-2 - Greenville Drive
- Matias Powers Legends into First Place - Lexington Legends
- Rheams and Winaker Each Produce Three Hits on Thursday - Columbia Fireflies
- Hoppers Avoid Sweep, BlueClaws Fall 6-2 on Thursday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Power Swept Again Despite Stratton Going the Distance - West Virginia Power
- Reliever Kyle Zurak Promoted to Advanced-A Tampa - Charleston RiverDogs
- Three Game Homestand Starts Tomorrow=21 - West Virginia Power
- Preview: Looking to Avoid a Sweep - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Fireflies Game Notes: July 26 at Rome (Game 100) - Columbia Fireflies
- Riley Park Club to Host Third Installment of Lowcountry Sports Forum - Charleston RiverDogs
- 7eventh Time Down to Perform During Upcoming Legends Homestand - Lexington Legends
- West Virginia Power: Promotional Notes (July 27-29) - West Virginia Power
- WEST VIRGINIA POWER: Game Notes (July 26) - West Virginia Power
- Promo Preview: Dollar Dog Tuesday and More - Hickory Crawdads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.