Reliever Kyle Zurak Promoted to Advanced-A Tampa
CHARLESTON, S.C. - Right-handed relief pitcher Kyle Zurak was promoted from the Charleston RiverDogs to the New York Yankees Advanced-A affiliate Tampa Tarpons on Thursday after 25 appearances out of the bullpen in his first full professional season, prompting righty Daniel Alvarez to fill the open roster spot in Charleston.
The former Radford University standout moves up after posting a 2-1 record with 10 saves and a 2.51 ERA in 43 innings. The 2017 eighth-round draft selection collected 46 strikeouts while walking just 10 batters and holding his opponents to a .200 batting average. Zurak becomes the 11th RiverDog to be promoted to Advanced-A Tampa this season, eight of which have been pitchers.
The East Amherst, New York native had a stretch of 13 outings which he allowed a total of two earned runs over 18 1/3 frames from May 10-June 30. He made his final relief appearance with the RiverDogs on Wednesday, pitching a scoreless ninth inning and earning his 10th save of the season. Zurak failed to convert just one save opportunity during his time in the Holy City.
Zurak was drafted last year after leading Radford to a Big South Conference title and a berth in the NCAA Tournament. In his debut season, the hard-throwing righty finished 1-2 with a 2.39 ERA in 26 1/3 innings between the GCL Yankees and Rookie-level Pulaski.
Alvarez joins the RiverDogs for the second time this month, after making a pair of scoreless relief appearances with the Dogs on their most recent road trip to Rome. The 2014 international signing from Venezuela threw 2 1/3 innings with two hits allowed and got his first Class-A strikeout against the Braves on July 20. The 22-year-old makes his way to Charleston from Short Season-A Staten Island, where he pitched in nine games, accruing a 1-0 record with a 1.93 ERA in 14 innings.
The RiverDogs are seeking a series win on Thursday against the Augusta GreenJackets as RiverDogs right-hander Miguel Yajure (2-2, 4.31) matches up with Augusta righty Aaron Phillips (3-5, 4.50). First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 and can be heard on "The Big Talker" 1250 WTMA with audio streaming live on riverdogs.com and the RiverDogs TuneIn app. Live video streaming is available on MiLB.tv.
RiverDogs single-game tickets, including options to the Riley Park Club, are now available for the 2018 campaign, the club's 25th season as the RiverDogs and their "175th season in dog years." Ticket information can be secured by contacting the box office at (843) 577-DOGS (3647) or online at www.riverdogs.com/tickets.
Images from this story
Charleston RiverDogs reliever Kyle Zurak
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 26, 2018
- Yajure's Five Shutout Innings Fuel RiverDogs in Series Winner - Charleston RiverDogs
- Suns Sweep 'Birds After Long Layoff - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Two RBIs from Ramos Not Enough - Augusta GreenJackets
- Crawdads Take Down Drive, 5-2 - Greenville Drive
- Matias Powers Legends into First Place - Lexington Legends
- Rheams and Winaker Each Produce Three Hits on Thursday - Columbia Fireflies
- Hoppers Avoid Sweep, BlueClaws Fall 6-2 on Thursday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Power Swept Again Despite Stratton Going the Distance - West Virginia Power
- Reliever Kyle Zurak Promoted to Advanced-A Tampa - Charleston RiverDogs
- Three Game Homestand Starts Tomorrow=21 - West Virginia Power
- Preview: Looking to Avoid a Sweep - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Fireflies Game Notes: July 26 at Rome (Game 100) - Columbia Fireflies
- Riley Park Club to Host Third Installment of Lowcountry Sports Forum - Charleston RiverDogs
- 7eventh Time Down to Perform During Upcoming Legends Homestand - Lexington Legends
- West Virginia Power: Promotional Notes (July 27-29) - West Virginia Power
- WEST VIRGINIA POWER: Game Notes (July 26) - West Virginia Power
- Promo Preview: Dollar Dog Tuesday and More - Hickory Crawdads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charleston RiverDogs Stories
- Rhythm Eludes RiverDogs in Second Straight Loss
- Sanchez Goes Hitless as Dogs Drop Homestand Opener
- Release the Kraken, Gary Sanchez to Make First Rehab Appearance with the RiverDogs on Monday
- Lockridge Bails out RiverDogs for Series Finale Win
- Luis Gil Dominates over Five Innings, Dogs Cough up Ninth Inning Lead in Eventual Extras Loss