Rheams and Winaker Each Produce Three Hits on Thursday
ROME, GA - Zach Rheams and Matt Winaker each recorded three hits on Thursday at State Mutual Stadium. However, the Braves outlasted the Fireflies 14-5 in a slugfest. Rheams also drove in three runs and Winaker scored three times.
Rome jumped on Columbia early with eight runs in the first two innings. Down 8-1 in the third, Hansel Moreno provided a quick spark for the visitors. The 21-year-old crushed his second home run of the season - a solo shot off the left-field foul pole. The Fireflies added a second run in the frame when Rheams knocked in Winaker with a single. The home team plated one run in the bottom half and led 9-3 after three stanzas.
SCORING SUMMARY (From Fourth to Ninth Inning)
Top 5: Rheams drove in Moreno with a groundout. Jose Brizuela singled and, on the same play, Winaker scored on an error from second baseman Derian Cruz. ROM 9-5
Bottom 6: William Contreras, Jean Carlos Encarnacion, and Derian Cruz each produced run-scoring hits. ROM 12-5
Bottom 7: Contreras smashed a two-run double, scoring Greyson Jenista and Brendan Venter. ROM 14-5
Contreras finished with four hits and five RBIs on Thursday evening.
Zac Grotz (L, 1-4) made his seventh start of the season and lasted five innings. The righty allowed six earned runs on 12 hits, but did not give up a run in his final two frames. Joshua Payne tossed a scoreless eighth and registered one strikeout.
The Fireflies resume their road trip on Friday night in North Augusta, SC. First pitch against the Augusta GreenJackets is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. at SRP Park. RHP Marcel Renteria (2-1, 4.89) makes the start for Columbia. You can listen to the action live on FOX SPORTS Radio 1400 AM or online at columbiafireflies.com.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 26, 2018
- Yajure's Five Shutout Innings Fuel RiverDogs in Series Winner - Charleston RiverDogs
- Suns Sweep 'Birds After Long Layoff - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Two RBIs from Ramos Not Enough - Augusta GreenJackets
- Crawdads Take Down Drive, 5-2 - Greenville Drive
- Matias Powers Legends into First Place - Lexington Legends
- Rheams and Winaker Each Produce Three Hits on Thursday - Columbia Fireflies
- Hoppers Avoid Sweep, BlueClaws Fall 6-2 on Thursday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Power Swept Again Despite Stratton Going the Distance - West Virginia Power
- Reliever Kyle Zurak Promoted to Advanced-A Tampa - Charleston RiverDogs
- Three Game Homestand Starts Tomorrow=21 - West Virginia Power
- Preview: Looking to Avoid a Sweep - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Fireflies Game Notes: July 26 at Rome (Game 100) - Columbia Fireflies
- Riley Park Club to Host Third Installment of Lowcountry Sports Forum - Charleston RiverDogs
- 7eventh Time Down to Perform During Upcoming Legends Homestand - Lexington Legends
- West Virginia Power: Promotional Notes (July 27-29) - West Virginia Power
- WEST VIRGINIA POWER: Game Notes (July 26) - West Virginia Power
- Promo Preview: Dollar Dog Tuesday and More - Hickory Crawdads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbia Fireflies Stories
- Rasquin Leads Chicharrones to First Walk-Off Win
- Fireflies Game Notes: April 18 vs. Hickory (Game 14)
- Rasquin, Mauricio Lead Fireflies to Victory and Series Win
- Fireflies Game Notes: April 17 at Rome (Game 13)
- Butto Shines, But Columbia Falls in Middle Game of Series