Rheams and Winaker Each Produce Three Hits on Thursday
ROME, GA - Zach Rheams and Matt Winaker each recorded three hits on Thursday at State Mutual Stadium. However, the Braves outlasted the Fireflies 14-5 in a slugfest. Rheams also drove in three runs and Winaker scored three times.
Rome jumped on Columbia early with eight runs in the first two innings. Down 8-1 in the third, Hansel Moreno provided a quick spark for the visitors. The 21-year-old crushed his second home run of the season - a solo shot off the left-field foul pole. The Fireflies added a second run in the frame when Rheams knocked in Winaker with a single. The home team plated one run in the bottom half and led 9-3 after three stanzas.
SCORING SUMMARY (From Fourth to Ninth Inning)
Top 5: Rheams drove in Moreno with a groundout. Jose Brizuela singled and, on the same play, Winaker scored on an error from second baseman Derian Cruz. ROM 9-5
Bottom 6: William Contreras, Jean Carlos Encarnacion, and Derian Cruz each produced run-scoring hits. ROM 12-5
Bottom 7: Contreras smashed a two-run double, scoring Greyson Jenista and Brendan Venter. ROM 14-5
Contreras finished with four hits and five RBIs on Thursday evening.
Zac Grotz (L, 1-4) made his seventh start of the season and lasted five innings. The righty allowed six earned runs on 12 hits, but did not give up a run in his final two frames. Joshua Payne tossed a scoreless eighth and registered one strikeout.
The Fireflies resume their road trip on Friday night in North Augusta, SC. First pitch against the Augusta GreenJackets is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. at SRP Park. RHP Marcel Renteria (2-1, 4.89) makes the start for Columbia. You can listen to the action live on FOX SPORTS Radio 1400 AM or online at columbiafireflies.com.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 26, 2018
- Yajure's Five Shutout Innings Fuel RiverDogs in Series Winner - Charleston RiverDogs
- Suns Sweep 'Birds After Long Layoff - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Two RBIs from Ramos Not Enough - Augusta GreenJackets
- Crawdads Take Down Drive, 5-2 - Greenville Drive
- Matias Powers Legends into First Place - Lexington Legends
- Rheams and Winaker Each Produce Three Hits on Thursday - Columbia Fireflies
- Hoppers Avoid Sweep, BlueClaws Fall 6-2 on Thursday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Power Swept Again Despite Stratton Going the Distance - West Virginia Power
- Reliever Kyle Zurak Promoted to Advanced-A Tampa - Charleston RiverDogs
- Three Game Homestand Starts Tomorrow=21 - West Virginia Power
- Preview: Looking to Avoid a Sweep - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Fireflies Game Notes: July 26 at Rome (Game 100) - Columbia Fireflies
- Riley Park Club to Host Third Installment of Lowcountry Sports Forum - Charleston RiverDogs
- 7eventh Time Down to Perform During Upcoming Legends Homestand - Lexington Legends
- West Virginia Power: Promotional Notes (July 27-29) - West Virginia Power
- WEST VIRGINIA POWER: Game Notes (July 26) - West Virginia Power
- Promo Preview: Dollar Dog Tuesday and More - Hickory Crawdads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.