Dynamo to Begin Defense of Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Title against Austin Bold FC on June 11
HOUSTON - The Houston Dynamo will kick off the defense of their Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup championship against Austin Bold FC at BBVA Compass Stadium, U.S. Soccer announced today. The matchup was determined in a draw at Soccer House in Chicago, with results posted live on Twitter through the official Open Cup account, @opencup.
The match will take place on Tuesday, June 11, with kickoff set for 7 p.m. CDT. It will be live streamed exclusively on ESPN+ through a new comprehensive multi-year broadcast and streaming partnership between ESPN and U.S. Soccer.
Houston Dynamo Season Ticket Members will receive tickets for this match as part of their Membership. Information regarding pricing and on-sale date for tickets to the general public will be announced in the near future.
The Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup is a single-elimination tournament to determine the champion of American soccer. Teams from every level of soccer are included, from local amateur and semi-pro sides up to Major League Soccer. Each MLS club received a bye until the fourth round of the tournament. Founded in 1914, the Open Cup is the oldest national soccer competition in the United States and the second-oldest team championship in American sports. The 2019 tournament is the 106th edition of the competition.
The Dynamo captured the 2018 U.S. Open Cup, the club's first title in the tournament, with a 3-0 win over the Philadelphia Union on September 26 at BBVA Compass Stadium. Forward Mauro Manotas bagged a brace in the final, earning him the Golden Boot as the tournament's top scorer with six goals in five games.
The Open Cup title was the third domestic championship in Dynamo history and first since the club's back-to-back MLS Cup titles in 2006 and 2007. It was the first title under the leadership of head coach Wilmer Cabrera, who took charge of the team in 2017.
Austin Bold FC advanced to the Fourth Round by defeating FC San Antonio 4-2 at Bold Stadium in Del Valle on Wednesday night. Founded in 2018, Austin Bold FC is competing in its inaugural season in the USL Championship, a Division II sanctioned league in the U.S. Soccer Federation hierarchy comprised 36 teams in the United States and Canada. Led by head coach Marcelo Serrano, the club has a 4-5-3 record in USL Championship play behind the play of veteran Brazilian strikers Kleber and André Lima, who each have three goals on the year. Former Los Angeles FC, Seattle Sounders and Montreal Impact midfielder Calum Mallace and former Dynamo defender Jermaine Taylor are two of many Austin Bold players who have Major League Soccer experience.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 30, 2019
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club to Face Saint Louis FC in the Fourth Round of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup - Chicago Fire
- Timbers Weekly Update: May 30, 2019 - Portland Timbers
- Timbers Travel to Face Seattle Sounders FC in Fourth Round of Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup - Portland Timbers
- Atlanta United Draws Charleston Battery in U.S. Open Cup Fourth Round - Atlanta United FC
- LAFC Draws Real Salt Lake in the Fourth Round of the U.S. Open Cup - Los Angeles FC
- LA Galaxy to Host Orange County FC in Fourth Round of 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup - LA Galaxy
- Earthquakes to Host Sacramento Republic FC in Fourth Round of Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup on June 11 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Revolution to Face New York Red Bulls in 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Fourth Round Match - New England Revolution
- Orlando to Play Memphis 901 FC in Fourth Round of Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup - Orlando City SC
- Tickets to Campeones Cup to Go on Sale as Atlanta United Look to Capture Their First International Trophy - Atlanta United FC
- FC Cincinnati to Host USL Championship's Louisville City FC in USOC Fourth Round - FC Cincinnati
- Tickets to Campeones Cup to Go on Sale as Atlanta United Look to Capture Their First International Trophy - MLS
- FC Dallas Hosts OKC Energy FC in Fourth Round of 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup - FC Dallas
- Dynamo to Begin Defense of Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Title against Austin Bold FC on June 11 - Houston Dynamo
- New York Red Bulls to Host Fourth Round of US Open Cup at MSU Soccer Park - New York Red Bulls
- New York City FC to Host U.S. Open Cup Match against North Carolina FC at St. John's University on June 12 - New York City FC
- Goaaaaaalllll: Discovery en Espanol Brings Audiences Inside the World of Major League Soccer with New Series "Acceso Exclusivo" - Houston Dynamo
- Loudoun United FC Appoint Former D.C. United Academy Director Ryan Martin as Head Coach - D.C. United
- Three Toronto FC Players Called to Canadian National Team CONCACAF Gold Cup Squad - Toronto FC
- Zachary Brault-Guillard and Samuel Piette at the Gold Cup - Montreal Impact
- Sounders FC to Face Portland Timbers in Fourth Round of 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup - Seattle Sounders FC
- New England Revolution Hire Richie Williams as Assistant Coach - New England Revolution
- D.C. United Announce the Departure of Loudoun United Head Coach Richie Williams - D.C. United
- Gerard Nijkamp Hired as FC Cincinnati General Manager - FC Cincinnati
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 2, Sporting KC 0 - Wednesday, May 29, 2019 - LA Galaxy
- Sporting Falls 2-0 to LA Galaxy - Sporting Kansas City
- D.C. United Draw Chicago Fire 3-3 at Audi Field - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dynamo Stories
- Houston Dynamo and Rio Grande Valley FC among seven teams in Texas to compete in new MLS initiative
- Houston Dash to Conduct Voluntary Individual Workouts this Afternoon, Dynamo to Begin Thursday
- Houston Dynamo Fall to FC Dallas in eMLS Tournament
- MLS, Houston Dynamo to Begin Individual Player Workouts May 6
- Dynamo Classic Rewind Looks at Fourth MLS Conference Title in Club History