Timbers Weekly Update: May 30, 2019
PORTLAND, Ore. - The Portland Timbers return to Providence Park for their 2019 home opener on Saturday, June 1, following an MLS-record 12-game road trip to begin the season, playing host to Los Angeles FC. Beginning at 7:30 p.m. (Pacific), the match will feature a national television broadcast on ESPN2 with local radio broadcasts on 1029 and 750 The Game (English) and La GranD 1150AM/93.5 FM (Spanish).
Portland (4-6-2, 14pts) posted a record of 4-1-1 in its last six games to wrap up its extended road trip. During that span, the Timbers scored multiple goals in four matches, outscoring their opponents 11-6 during the six-game stretch. It marks the third time in the MLS era that the club has won four or more matches over the span of six away games. Portland's four away wins is tied for the third-most road wins the club has had in a single MLS season, behind the 2014 and 2015 seasons. Additionally, after conceding 17 goals in their first six matches, Portland has allowed just six goals in their last six matches.
Return to transformed Providence Park
The Timbers return to home to play their first match in the freshly transformed Providence Park on Saturday. As part of the ambitious eastside expansion of Providence Park that is set to debut on June 1, a variety of important programming and guest amenities have been added or amended to enhance the supporter experience at Providence Park.
Additionally, the home opener on June 1 is the same day as the annual Rose Festival Starlight Parade and Run. As a result, road closures will be in effect for a number of streets in downtown Portland and near Providence Park. Please plan on arriving early to the match early to avoid delays.
The Timbers will play 17 of their last 22 matches at Providence Park, following their extended road trip to begin the 2019 season. Portland concluded its 2018 home campaign unbeaten in its last seven matches (5-0-2) at Providence Park, including playoffs, while registering five shutouts during that span. The Timbers posted a record of 14-2-5 in all competitions at Providence Park in 2018.
Saturday's match marks the fourth meeting all-time in MLS regular-season play between Portland and LAFC. The Timbers won the first-ever match between the two sides on May 19, 2018, at Providence Park, recording a 2-0 win, while the two teams played to a scoreless draw on July 15, 2018. LAFC won the first meeting in 2019 at Banc of California Stadium on March 10. LAFC is unbeaten in its last seven matches (4-0-3) and enters the week with the best record (10-1-4, 34pts) in MLS. Carlos Vela leads the league in both goals (15) and assists (9) in 2019.
The Timbers return to league play on Saturday, June 22, when they play host to the Houston Dynamo at Providence Park. Beginning at 8 p.m. (Pacific), the match features a local television broadcast on ROOT SPORTS with local radio broadcasts on 1029 and 750 The Game (English) and La GranD 1150AM/93.5 FM (Spanish).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 30, 2019
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club to Face Saint Louis FC in the Fourth Round of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup - Chicago Fire
- Timbers Weekly Update: May 30, 2019 - Portland Timbers
- Timbers Travel to Face Seattle Sounders FC in Fourth Round of Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup - Portland Timbers
- Atlanta United Draws Charleston Battery in U.S. Open Cup Fourth Round - Atlanta United FC
- LAFC Draws Real Salt Lake in the Fourth Round of the U.S. Open Cup - Los Angeles FC
- LA Galaxy to Host Orange County FC in Fourth Round of 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup - LA Galaxy
- Earthquakes to Host Sacramento Republic FC in Fourth Round of Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup on June 11 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Revolution to Face New York Red Bulls in 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Fourth Round Match - New England Revolution
- Orlando to Play Memphis 901 FC in Fourth Round of Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup - Orlando City SC
- Tickets to Campeones Cup to Go on Sale as Atlanta United Look to Capture Their First International Trophy - Atlanta United FC
- FC Cincinnati to Host USL Championship's Louisville City FC in USOC Fourth Round - FC Cincinnati
- Tickets to Campeones Cup to Go on Sale as Atlanta United Look to Capture Their First International Trophy - MLS
- FC Dallas Hosts OKC Energy FC in Fourth Round of 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup - FC Dallas
- Dynamo to Begin Defense of Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Title against Austin Bold FC on June 11 - Houston Dynamo
- New York Red Bulls to Host Fourth Round of US Open Cup at MSU Soccer Park - New York Red Bulls
- New York City FC to Host U.S. Open Cup Match against North Carolina FC at St. John's University on June 12 - New York City FC
- Goaaaaaalllll: Discovery en Espanol Brings Audiences Inside the World of Major League Soccer with New Series "Acceso Exclusivo" - Houston Dynamo
- Loudoun United FC Appoint Former D.C. United Academy Director Ryan Martin as Head Coach - D.C. United
- Three Toronto FC Players Called to Canadian National Team CONCACAF Gold Cup Squad - Toronto FC
- Zachary Brault-Guillard and Samuel Piette at the Gold Cup - Montreal Impact
- Sounders FC to Face Portland Timbers in Fourth Round of 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup - Seattle Sounders FC
- New England Revolution Hire Richie Williams as Assistant Coach - New England Revolution
- D.C. United Announce the Departure of Loudoun United Head Coach Richie Williams - D.C. United
- Gerard Nijkamp Hired as FC Cincinnati General Manager - FC Cincinnati
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 2, Sporting KC 0 - Wednesday, May 29, 2019 - LA Galaxy
- Sporting Falls 2-0 to LA Galaxy - Sporting Kansas City
- D.C. United Draw Chicago Fire 3-3 at Audi Field - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Nashville SC Selects Defender Zarek Valentin No. 4 Overall in 2019 MLS Expansion Draft
- Portland to Host eMLS League Series Two in February
- Major League Soccer Terminates Brian Fernandez Contract
- Jeremy Ebobisse Named to U.S. U-23 Men's National Team Roster
- Four Timbers Players Called in for International Duty