New England Revolution Hire Richie Williams as Assistant Coach
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. - The New England Revolution have added Richie Williams to the club's technical staff as an assistant coach. Williams, who most recently served as the head coach of D.C. United's USL Championship affiliate, Loudoun United FC, will officially join Sporting Director and Head Coach Bruce Arena's staff in June. New England will give D.C. United an undisclosed amount of compensation for the acquisition of Williams.
"Richie and I have a relationship that dates back nearly 30 years, and I have the utmost confidence that he will bring the same energy, enthusiasm, and expertise of the game to the Revolution that he has throughout each stop of his coaching and playing career," Revolution Head Coach and Sporting Director Bruce Arena said. "I look forward to bringing him onboard and getting him integrated into club as quickly as possible."
Williams, 48, arrives in New England after spending the last 15 years in a variety of coaching roles within Major League Soccer and the United States Men's National Team, including two stints as an assistant to Bruce Arena. He served as an assistant coach on Arena's staff with the USMNT from 2017-18, as well as the New York Red Bulls from 2006-07. In addition, Williams served as an assistant coach with Real Salt Lake from 2015-16, head coach of the United States Under-18 National Team from 2011-12, and head coach of the United States Under-17 National Team from 2012-15.
Most recently, Williams served as the first ever head coach of USL Championship side Loudoun United FC. He led Loudoun to a 2-3-4 record in its inaugural season before departing to join the Revolution's coaching staff.
Williams, a native of Middletown Township, N.J., enjoyed a successful playing career prior to entering the coaching ranks. He played under Arena at multiple stops during his career, including at the University of Virginia from 1988-91, D.C. United from 1996-98, and the United States Men's National Team from 1998-2002. Together, Arena and Williams won an NCAA Championship at the University of Virginia in 1991, before helping D.C. United to three consecutive MLS Cup appearances, including championships in 1996 and 1997. Williams also earned 20 international caps with the USMNT under Arena, highlighted by a CONCACAF Gold Cup title in 2002. He also spent time with the Richmond Kickers in 1993 and 2004-05, Scottish side Ayr United FC from 1993-94, and the New York/New Jersey MetroStars in 2001 and 2003.
Richie William's Coaching Background
New England Revolution (Assistant)
Loudoun United FC
United States Men's National Team (Assistant)
Real Salt Lake (Assistant)
United States U-17 Men's National Team
United States U-18 Men's National Team
New York Red Bulls (Assistant)
New York Red Bulls (Interim Head Coach)
New York Red Bulls (Interim Head Coach)
University of Virginia (Assistant)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 30, 2019
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club to Face Saint Louis FC in the Fourth Round of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup - Chicago Fire
- Timbers Weekly Update: May 30, 2019 - Portland Timbers
- Timbers Travel to Face Seattle Sounders FC in Fourth Round of Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup - Portland Timbers
- Atlanta United Draws Charleston Battery in U.S. Open Cup Fourth Round - Atlanta United FC
- LAFC Draws Real Salt Lake in the Fourth Round of the U.S. Open Cup - Los Angeles FC
- LA Galaxy to Host Orange County FC in Fourth Round of 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup - LA Galaxy
- Earthquakes to Host Sacramento Republic FC in Fourth Round of Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup on June 11 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Revolution to Face New York Red Bulls in 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Fourth Round Match - New England Revolution
- Orlando to Play Memphis 901 FC in Fourth Round of Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup - Orlando City SC
- Tickets to Campeones Cup to Go on Sale as Atlanta United Look to Capture Their First International Trophy - Atlanta United FC
- FC Cincinnati to Host USL Championship's Louisville City FC in USOC Fourth Round - FC Cincinnati
- Tickets to Campeones Cup to Go on Sale as Atlanta United Look to Capture Their First International Trophy - MLS
- FC Dallas Hosts OKC Energy FC in Fourth Round of 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup - FC Dallas
- Dynamo to Begin Defense of Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Title against Austin Bold FC on June 11 - Houston Dynamo
- New York Red Bulls to Host Fourth Round of US Open Cup at MSU Soccer Park - New York Red Bulls
- New York City FC to Host U.S. Open Cup Match against North Carolina FC at St. John's University on June 12 - New York City FC
- Goaaaaaalllll: Discovery en Espanol Brings Audiences Inside the World of Major League Soccer with New Series "Acceso Exclusivo" - Houston Dynamo
- Loudoun United FC Appoint Former D.C. United Academy Director Ryan Martin as Head Coach - D.C. United
- Three Toronto FC Players Called to Canadian National Team CONCACAF Gold Cup Squad - Toronto FC
- Zachary Brault-Guillard and Samuel Piette at the Gold Cup - Montreal Impact
- Sounders FC to Face Portland Timbers in Fourth Round of 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup - Seattle Sounders FC
- New England Revolution Hire Richie Williams as Assistant Coach - New England Revolution
- D.C. United Announce the Departure of Loudoun United Head Coach Richie Williams - D.C. United
- Gerard Nijkamp Hired as FC Cincinnati General Manager - FC Cincinnati
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 2, Sporting KC 0 - Wednesday, May 29, 2019 - LA Galaxy
- Sporting Falls 2-0 to LA Galaxy - Sporting Kansas City
- D.C. United Draw Chicago Fire 3-3 at Audi Field - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New England Revolution Stories
- New England Revolution to Host Drive-In Watch Parties on Gillette Stadium Field for MLS Is Back Tournament
- Shalrie Joseph Added to New England Revolution Academy Coaching Staff
- Special Olympics Massachusetts and New England Revolution Announce 2020 Unified Team for "Unified We Play" Virtual Competition
- Revolution's Full Broadcast Schedule for MLS Is Back Tournament Revealed
- Andrew Farrell Re-Signs with New England Revolution