Dynamo Play to Draw with Real Salt Lake
HOUSTON - Houston Dynamo FC and Real Salt Lake played to a scoreless draw at BBVA Stadium this evening. Although the contest finished goalless, it featured plenty of action, as the teams combined for 26 shots, with both goalkeepers stepping up to make spectacular saves throughout the night.
The draw gave Houston at least a point in seven of their last eight matches and in 12 of 16 outings on the season. It also kept the Dynamo undefeated at BBVA Stadium on the year at 3-0-4.
Real Salt Lake created the first dangerous chance of the evening in the 11th minute. After a Dynamo clearance fell to midfielder Maikel Chang, his right-footed shot bounced toward goal but was palmed to the side by Houston goalkeeper Marko Mariæ. The ball caromed off the right post and back out to the penalty spot, where RSL midfielder Damir Kreilach attempted a diving header. Maric easily collected the second shot to snuff out the threat.
It was Houston's turn to hit the woodwork in the 33rd minute when midfielder Memo Rodriguez caught the right post with a curling effort after a full-field counterattacking move. Forward Mateo Bajamich, making his first start in MLS, raced down the right flank before playing the ball inside to Rodriguez at the top of the penalty area. The Houston Homegrown's shot beat 'keeper Zac MacMath but was a few inches too far right and caught the post.
Mariæ came up big again in first-half stoppage time, making a diving save to parry away a shot from midfielder Justin Meram and keep the game scoreless going into intermission. The Croatian goalkeeper finished the night with four saves en route to his second clean sheet in three matches and his third of the season.
Salt Lake caught the post again in the 50th minute as Rusnák ran onto a ball behind the Dynamo back line and fired a quick shot from eight yards that caught the outside of the near post and ricocheted out for a goal kick.
Rodriguez made Club history with his 100th appearance in all competitions, becoming the first Dynamo Academy alumnus to reach the century mark for the Club. Additionally, Bajamich earned his first start in MLS play, while newcomer Corey Baird, acquired via trade from Los Angeles FC on Friday, made his Dynamo debut when he came on for midfielder Joe Corona in the 62nd minute.
Baird nearly combined with forward Tyler Pasher in the 67th minute after he raced onto a ball behind the RSL defense and played a centering pass to Pasher, but MacMath was quick off his line and was just able to beat Pasher to the ball.
Pasher and Baird combined for another dangerous chance in the 71st, this time reversing roles. It was Pasher who ran onto the ball along the left flank before curling a centering ball into the path of Baird at the six-yard box. Baird was able to get to the ball, but his first-touch effort whistled over the crossbar.
Real Salt Lake nearly found their opener in the 78th minute when defender Aaron Herrera whipped a ball in from the right flank that pulled Mariæ off his line. The ball carried across the face of goal to forward Anderson Julio, who had an open look at goal but put his shot wide of the target.
The visitors were reduced to 10 men in the 87th minute when centerback Justen Glad received a second yellow card for a foul off the ball. The man advantage nearly paid off for Houston in stoppage time as Baird laced shot following a corner kick that forced a leaping save from MacMath to push the would-be winner over the crossbar.
The Dynamo begin a two-game road trip on Wednesday in the state capitol against Austin FC at Q2 Stadium. This will be the first regular season meeting between both teams and the first of three games this season. The Dynamo travel to Allianz Field on Saturday to face Minnesota United to close the road trip.
Houston Dynamo FC (3-4-9; 18 pts.) 0-0 Real Salt Lake (5-4-6; 21 pts.)
MLS Regular Season - Week 16
BBVA Stadium - Houston, Texas
TEAM 1H 2H FT
Houston Dynamo FC 0 0 0
Real Salt Lake 0 0 0
Houston Dynamo FC: Marko Mariæ; Zarek Valentin, Tim Parker, Teenage Hadebe, Sam Junqua; Darwin Cerén, Matías Vera, Joe Corona (Corey Baird 62); Griffin Dorsey (Derrick Jones 84), Mateo Bajamich (Tyler Pasher 62), Memo Rodriguez
Unused substitutes: Michael Nelson, Alejandro Fuenmayor, Ian Hoffmann, Boniek Garcia, Maynor Figueroa, Adam Lundkvist
Total shots: 15 (Memo Rodriguez 5); Shots on goal: 8 (Corey Baird 2); Fouls: 10 (Matías Vera 3); Offside: 2; Corner kicks: 9; Saves: 4 (Marko Mariæ 4)
Real Salt Lake: Zac MacMath; Ashtone Morgan, Marcelo Silva, Justen Glad, Aaron Herrera; Justin Meram (Anderson Julio 75), Damir Kreliach (Erik Holt 90+1), Nick Besler, Maikel Chang (Jonathan Menéndez 64); Albert Rusnák (C) (Everton Luiz 90+1); Bobby Wood (Rubio Rubín 74)
Unused substitutes: Justin Portillo, Andrew Putna, Pablo Ruiz, Donny Toia
Total shots: 11 (Albert Rusnák 4); Shots on goal: 4 (Maikel Chang, Damir Kreilach, Justin Meram, Albert Rusnák 1); Fouls: 12 (Justen Glad 4); Offside: 1; Corner kicks: 4; Saves: 4 (Zac MacMath 4)
RSL: Justen Glad (caution; foul) 40
RSL: Justen Glad (second caution, ejection; foul) 87
RSL: Erik Holt (caution; dissent) 90+2
Referee: Guido Gonzales Jr.
Assistant Referee: Nick Uranga
Assistant Referee: Jeff Hosking
Fourth Official: Kevin Broadley
VAR: Sorin Stoica
Weather: 93 degrees, cloudy
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 31, 2021
- 'Caps, MNUFC draw as Dájome buries late PK in last home match in Utah - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Austin FC Falls 0-1 to Colorado Rapids - Austin FC
- Takeaways: Payback in Austin, Homegrowns Give Added Layer of Depth - Colorado Rapids
- Sporting Falls 2-1 to FC Dallas - Sporting Kansas City
- Dynamo Play to Draw with Real Salt Lake - Houston Dynamo FC
- Real Salt Lake Plays to Scoreless Draw at Houston - Real Salt Lake
- Inter Miami CF Earns 2-1 Victory over CF Montréal - Inter Miami CF
- FC Dallas Defeats Sporting Kansas City 2-1 at Children's Mercy Park - FC Dallas
- D.C. United Draw 0-0 against FC Cincinnati on the Road - D.C. United
- Quakes defeat top team in Western Conference, extend unbeaten streak to five - San Jose Earthquakes
- Revolution Defeat New York Red Bulls, 3-2 - New England Revolution
- New York Suffers 3-2 Defeat to New England Revolution - New York Red Bulls
- Sounders FC Falls for the Second Time in as Many Matches Following 1-0 Loss to San Jose - Seattle Sounders FC
- What to Watch for as Nashville SC Travels North to Take on Toronto FCÃÂ ÃÂ - Nashville SC
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- Orlando City SC Signs Goalkeeper Adam Grinwis - Orlando City SC
- Goalkeeper Brandon Austin Returns to Tottenham Hotspur - Orlando City SC
- Earthquakes Face Seattle Sounders FC Today - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sounders FC Hosts the San Jose Earthquakes on Saturday Afternoon at Lumen Field - Seattle Sounders FC
- Whitecaps FC Acquire Scottish Attacking Midfielder Ryan Gauld from SC Farense - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo FC Return to Bbva Stadium After Two-Game Road Trip - Houston Dynamo FC
- LA Galaxy Earn 4-1 Win over the Portland Timbers at Dignity Health Sports Park on Friday Night - LA Galaxy
- Timbers Fall on the Road to LA Galaxy - Portland Timbers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dynamo FC Stories
- Houston Dynamo FC Partner with Firat Education to Support Academy Players
- Four Houston Dynamo FC Players Named to FIFA World Cup Qualifying Rosters
- Dynamo Fall to Sporting KC 4-2
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo FC Travel to Kansas City Prior to International Break
- Dynamo Draw with Whitecaps 0-0