Real Salt Lake Plays to Scoreless Draw at Houston
HOUSTON - - Real Salt Lake (5-4-6, 21 points) played to a scoreless draw against Houston Dynamo FC on Saturday night at BBVA Stadium in Houston, Texas. Goalkeeper Zac MacMath made four saves for the fourth shutout of the year for RSL, who moved to 2-2-2 on the road this season.
In the first half, RSL put four shots on goal to Houston's two while controlling 55% of the possession. Maikel Chang's left-footed shot in the 11th minute was met with a diving save from Houston goalkeeper Marko Maric that pushed the ball off the post. Damir Kreilach was first to the rebound, but his putback header was saved again by Maric. Albert Rusnák and Justin Meram also challenged Maric, forcing the Houston goalkeeper to stretch for saves to keep the match scoreless heading into halftime.
In the second half, a resilient RSL held off a late surge from Houston after defender Justen Glad was sent off with a second yellow card in the 87th minute. MacMath made two late saves to preserve the 0-0 scoreline and earn a road point.
UP NEXT: RSL will continue its three-game road stretch against the LA Galaxy on Wednesday at Dignity Health Sports Park. Kickoff is set for 8:30 p.m. MT.
GOAL SCORING RUNDOWN:
- Zac MacMath made his 150th career MLS appearance in the match.
- Forward Douglas Martinez was unavailable following the conclusion of the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo. Honduras went 1-2-0 in the Group Stage. He will be available upon his return.
- Goalkeeper David Ochoa and defenders Toni Datković, Andrew Brody and Zack Farnsworth were unavailable due to injury.
- Former Real Salt Lake and RSL Academy forward Corey Baird made his Houston Dynamo FC debut after coming over in a trade from LAFC earlier this week.
- Real Salt Lake started two Homegrown player from the RSL Academy and two players formerly signed with the Real Monarchs in the USL Championship. Additionally, two RSL Academy products and two former Monarchs were on the bench for Head Coach Freddy Juarez.
Match: Real Salt Lake at Houston Dynamo FC
Date: July 31, 2021
Venue: BBVA Stadium, Houston, Texas
Weather: Partly cloudy and 88
Scoring Summary: 1 2 F
Real Salt Lake 0 0 0
Houston 0 0 0
Real Salt Lake (4-2-3-1): Zac MacMath; Aaron Herrera, Justen Glad, Marcelo Silva, Ashtone Morgan; Nick Besler, Damir Kreilach (Erik Holt 90'+2); Maikel Chang (Jonathan Menendez 64'), Albert Rusnák (Everton Luiz 90'+2), Justin Meram (Anderson Julio 74'); Bobby Wood (Rubio Rubin 74').
Subs not used: Andrew Putna, Donny Toia, Justin Portillo, Pablo Ruiz.
Houston Dynamo FC (4-2-3-1): Marko Maric; Zarek Valentin, Tim Parker, Teenage Hadebe, Sam Junqua; Darwin Ceren, Matias Vera; Griffin Dorsey (Derrick Jones 84'), Joe Corona, Memo Rodriguez (Corey Baird 62'); Mateo Bajamich (Tyler Pasher 62').
Subs not used: Michael Nelson, Adam Lundqvist, Alejandro Fuenmayor, Maynor Figueroa, Ian Hoffman, Boniek Garcia.
Stats Summary: RSL / HOU
Shots: 11 / 15
Shots on Goal: 4 / 4
Saves: 4 / 4
Corner Kicks: 4 / 9
Fouls: 12 / 10
Offside: 1 / 2
RSL: Justen Glad (caution) 40'
RSL: Justen Glad (second caution/ejection) 78'
RSL: Erik Holt (caution) 90'+2
Referee: Guido Gonzalez, Jr.
Assistant Referees: Nick Uranga, Jeff Hosking
4th Official: Kevin Broadley
VAR: Sorin Stoica
AVAR: Jonathan Johnson
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 31, 2021
- 'Caps, MNUFC draw as Dájome buries late PK in last home match in Utah - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Austin FC Falls 0-1 to Colorado Rapids - Austin FC
- Takeaways: Payback in Austin, Homegrowns Give Added Layer of Depth - Colorado Rapids
- Sporting Falls 2-1 to FC Dallas - Sporting Kansas City
- Dynamo Play to Draw with Real Salt Lake - Houston Dynamo FC
- Real Salt Lake Plays to Scoreless Draw at Houston - Real Salt Lake
- Inter Miami CF Earns 2-1 Victory over CF Montréal - Inter Miami CF
- FC Dallas Defeats Sporting Kansas City 2-1 at Children's Mercy Park - FC Dallas
- D.C. United Draw 0-0 against FC Cincinnati on the Road - D.C. United
- Quakes defeat top team in Western Conference, extend unbeaten streak to five - San Jose Earthquakes
- Revolution Defeat New York Red Bulls, 3-2 - New England Revolution
- New York Suffers 3-2 Defeat to New England Revolution - New York Red Bulls
- Sounders FC Falls for the Second Time in as Many Matches Following 1-0 Loss to San Jose - Seattle Sounders FC
- What to Watch for as Nashville SC Travels North to Take on Toronto FCÃÂ ÃÂ - Nashville SC
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- Orlando City SC Signs Goalkeeper Adam Grinwis - Orlando City SC
- Goalkeeper Brandon Austin Returns to Tottenham Hotspur - Orlando City SC
- Earthquakes Face Seattle Sounders FC Today - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sounders FC Hosts the San Jose Earthquakes on Saturday Afternoon at Lumen Field - Seattle Sounders FC
- Whitecaps FC Acquire Scottish Attacking Midfielder Ryan Gauld from SC Farense - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo FC Return to Bbva Stadium After Two-Game Road Trip - Houston Dynamo FC
- LA Galaxy Earn 4-1 Win over the Portland Timbers at Dignity Health Sports Park on Friday Night - LA Galaxy
- Timbers Fall on the Road to LA Galaxy - Portland Timbers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Real Salt Lake Stories
- Real Salt Lake Falls 6-1 at Portland Timbers
- Real Salt Lake Visits Portland for Crucial Western Conference Clash
- Real Salt Lake to Host Hispanic Heritage Night on September 29
- Real Salt Lake Drops Seattle Sounders FC 1-0
- Real Salt Lake Closes Three-Game Week Saturday against Seattle Sounders FC