'Caps, MNUFC draw as Dájome buries late PK in last home match in Utah
SANDY, UT - Cristian Dájome recorded a brace, including a penalty equalizer in the dying moments, to lead Vancouver Whitecaps FC to a come-from-behind 2-2- draw versus Minnesota United FC in their last home match at Rio Tinto Stadium on Saturday evening.
The 'Caps were back in Sandy, Utah for the match after returning to train in Vancouver for the first time since April last Sunday.
The game remained scoreless until the 36th-minute mark when Dájome netted his seventh goal of the season. From the corner of the penalty area, Dájome was able to strike the ball past Minnesota goalkeeper Tyler Miller after being set up for the play by Russell Teibert.
In the final seconds leading into halftime, Ethan Finlay tied up the score 1-1 for Minnesota.
In the second half, more back and forth ensued and the strong winds in Sandy, Utah posed a challenge for both teams.
For Vancouver, Dájome and Ranko Veselinović put up strong shots while Thomas Hasal made several stops in net.
The score remained the same until the 75th minute when Robin Lod scored Minnesota's second of the evening.
With the match going into its final moments, Dájome was awarded a penalty kick after being fouled by Finlay inside the box, of which he successfully put past Miller to even the scoring once again to 2-2.
With Dajome's second goal of the evening, the 'Caps were able to secure a point and extend their unbeaten streak to four games, the first time they have done so since May-June of 2019.
Up next is a trip to Southern California for a visit against LA Galaxy at Dignity Health Sports Park. Catch the game live on TSN and AM730, with kickoff set for 5 p.m. PT. The 'Caps will be without Michael Baldisimo, who will serve a one-match suspension due to yellow card accumulation. They are expected to welcome back Canadian internationals Lucas Cavallini and Maxime Crepeau from the Concacaf Gold Cup.
GE Appliances VWFC Player of Quality: Cristian Dájome
Referee: Lukasz Szpala
36' - VAN - Cristian Dájome (Russell Teibert)
45' - MIN - Ethan Finlay (Emanuel Reynoso, Robin Lod)
75' - MIN - Robin Lod (Wil Trapp)
90'+4' - VAN - Cristian Dájome (penalty kick)
Possession: VAN 51.1% - MIN 48.9%
Shots: VAN 11 - MIN 13
Shots on Goal: VAN 3 - MIN 4
Saves: VAN 2 - MIN 1
Fouls: VAN 17 - MIN 14
Offsides: VAN 2 - MIN 3
Corners: VAN 5 - MIN 3
34' - VAN - Michael Baldisimo
45'+2' - MIN - Romain Métanire
48' - MIN - D.J. Taylor
55' - MIN - Wil Trapp
86' - VAN - Tosaint Ricketts
87' - VAN - Janio Bikel
Vancouver Whitecaps FC
1.Thomas Hasal; 28.Jake Nerwinski (23.Javain Brown 80'), 4.Ranko Veselinović, 22.Érik Godoy, 3.Cristian Gutierrez, 19.Janio Bikel, 55.Michael Baldisimo (32.Patrick Metcalfe 62'), 31.Russell Teibert © (27.Ryan Raposo 79'); 11.Cristian Dájome (14.Theo Bair 90'+6'), 24.Brian White (87.Tosaint Ricketts 79'), 7.Déiber Caicedo
Substitutes not used
12.Evan Newton, 6.Bruno Gaspar, 15.Andy Rose, 17.Leonard Owusu
Minnesota United FC
1.Tyler Miller; 19.Romain Métanire, 14.Brent Kallman, 12.Bakaye Dibassy, 26.D.J. Taylor; 5.Jacori Hayes (23.Adrien Hunou HT), 20.Wil Trapp ©; 13.Ethan Finlay, 31.Hassani Dotson, 10.Emanuel Reynoso (8.Jan Gregus 90'+1'); 17.Robin Lod
Substitutes not used
97.Dayne St. Clair, 11.Niko Hansen, 21.Juan Agudelo, 22.Jukka Raitala
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 31, 2021
- 'Caps, MNUFC draw as Dájome buries late PK in last home match in Utah - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Austin FC Falls 0-1 to Colorado Rapids - Austin FC
- Takeaways: Payback in Austin, Homegrowns Give Added Layer of Depth - Colorado Rapids
- Sporting Falls 2-1 to FC Dallas - Sporting Kansas City
- Dynamo Play to Draw with Real Salt Lake - Houston Dynamo FC
- Real Salt Lake Plays to Scoreless Draw at Houston - Real Salt Lake
- Inter Miami CF Earns 2-1 Victory over CF Montréal - Inter Miami CF
- FC Dallas Defeats Sporting Kansas City 2-1 at Children's Mercy Park - FC Dallas
- D.C. United Draw 0-0 against FC Cincinnati on the Road - D.C. United
- Quakes defeat top team in Western Conference, extend unbeaten streak to five - San Jose Earthquakes
- Revolution Defeat New York Red Bulls, 3-2 - New England Revolution
- New York Suffers 3-2 Defeat to New England Revolution - New York Red Bulls
- Sounders FC Falls for the Second Time in as Many Matches Following 1-0 Loss to San Jose - Seattle Sounders FC
- What to Watch for as Nashville SC Travels North to Take on Toronto FCÃÂ ÃÂ - Nashville SC
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- Orlando City SC Signs Goalkeeper Adam Grinwis - Orlando City SC
- Goalkeeper Brandon Austin Returns to Tottenham Hotspur - Orlando City SC
- Earthquakes Face Seattle Sounders FC Today - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sounders FC Hosts the San Jose Earthquakes on Saturday Afternoon at Lumen Field - Seattle Sounders FC
- Whitecaps FC Acquire Scottish Attacking Midfielder Ryan Gauld from SC Farense - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo FC Return to Bbva Stadium After Two-Game Road Trip - Houston Dynamo FC
- LA Galaxy Earn 4-1 Win over the Portland Timbers at Dignity Health Sports Park on Friday Night - LA Galaxy
- Timbers Fall on the Road to LA Galaxy - Portland Timbers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Whitecaps FC Stories
- Maxime Crépeau makes dramatic penalty kick save to preserve crucial win
- Whitecaps FC Trade International Roster Slot to LAFC for $50,000 in 2022 General Allocation Money
- Whitecaps FC to Host Frontline Heroes Appreciation Night, Presented by BMO
- 'Caps secure valuable road point against 3rd place Rapids
- Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination Now Required at Whitecaps FC Home Matches