Inter Miami CF Earns 2-1 Victory over CF Montréal
Inter Miami CF (3W-3D-8L, 12 points) earned a come-from-behind 2-1 victory over CF Montréal at DRV PNK Stadium on Saturday night. The team was led to the result by a brace from leading scorer and Heineken Man of the Match Gonzalo Higuaín.
Inter Miami made one change to its lineup from its 1-1 draw with Philadelphia a week ago, bringing in Kelvin Leerdam in place of Ryan Shawcross, who missed the match with a sore back, and moving Nicolás Figal to center back. Additionally, Inter Miami's most recent signing Ventura Alvarado was part of the team's matchday squad for the first time.
The first moment of significant danger for the hosts came in the 17th minute; Leandro González Pirez made a driving run from defense, bypassing midfield, and drew a foul in the opposition half. The ensuing free kick saw a designed routine result in a direct shot at the near post by Federico Higuaín from deep in the left half space that drew a diving save.
Moments later, however, Montréal opened the scoring; a cross from the left wing came in to an onrushing Mason Toye in the box, but Nick Marsman met the ball low. The rebound from the first shot then fell to Joaquín Torres, who slotted a shot into the vacated net to make it 0-1 in the 20th minute.
Inter Miami responded to the goal, pressing Montréal and controlling more possession throughout the remainder of the half, but was unable to find an equalizing goal before halftime; the match entered the break 0-1 in favor of the visitors.
Inter Miami's improved play quickly paid off after the break, with the team drawing a penalty in the first minute of the second half. Victor Ulloa played an overhead kick pass in behind to Gonzalo Higuaín, who controlled the ball before it was eventually knocked over to his brother Federico, who was then brought down by a defender in the box. Gonzalo then stepped up to take the penalty, calmly slotting his shot past the keeper to equalize and register his team-leading sixth goal of the campaign.
The hosts continued to pressure Montréal after equalizing, finding a reward in the 69th minute; high pressing by Robbie Robinson and Gregore saw Inter Miami win the ball on the edge of the box. The ball came off Gregore's foot and found Gonzalo Higuaín, who drove to his left before firing a powerful left-footed shot from the edge of the box that the keeper dove to get a hand on, but it wasn't enough as the ball rolled into the net for a 2-1 lead, Gonzalo's second goal of the match, and seventh of the season. Gregore registered an assist on the play, his third of the season.
Another chance came from the feet of the younger Higuaín brother in the 82nd minute, when heÂ played a perfect through pass for Robinson, who wound up one on one with the keeper from the right side of the box, but his shot was saved.
The hosts were able to secure their lead for the duration of the match, claiming a 2-1 victory over CF Montréal.
Heineken Man of the Match
Gonzalo Higuaín earned Heineken Man of the Match honors for his stellar performance as he scored a brace to help lead the team to a come-from-behind victory.
"Winning is a byproduct of attitude, effort and spirit. We've responded in a way that makes me really, really proud; getting four points out of the last two games," said head coach Phil Neville. "These supporters have suffered. I just told [the players] tonight to give them something to go home and celebrate. [Tonight's win] is a small baby step as to where we want to get to."
Inter Miami will be back in action on Wednesday, Aug. 4 at 8 p.m. ET when it travels to Exploria Stadium to face Orlando City SC.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 31, 2021
- 'Caps, MNUFC draw as Dájome buries late PK in last home match in Utah - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Austin FC Falls 0-1 to Colorado Rapids - Austin FC
- Takeaways: Payback in Austin, Homegrowns Give Added Layer of Depth - Colorado Rapids
- Sporting Falls 2-1 to FC Dallas - Sporting Kansas City
- Dynamo Play to Draw with Real Salt Lake - Houston Dynamo FC
- Real Salt Lake Plays to Scoreless Draw at Houston - Real Salt Lake
- Inter Miami CF Earns 2-1 Victory over CF Montréal - Inter Miami CF
- FC Dallas Defeats Sporting Kansas City 2-1 at Children's Mercy Park - FC Dallas
- D.C. United Draw 0-0 against FC Cincinnati on the Road - D.C. United
- Quakes defeat top team in Western Conference, extend unbeaten streak to five - San Jose Earthquakes
- Revolution Defeat New York Red Bulls, 3-2 - New England Revolution
- New York Suffers 3-2 Defeat to New England Revolution - New York Red Bulls
- Sounders FC Falls for the Second Time in as Many Matches Following 1-0 Loss to San Jose - Seattle Sounders FC
- What to Watch for as Nashville SC Travels North to Take on Toronto FCÃÂ ÃÂ - Nashville SC
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- Orlando City SC Signs Goalkeeper Adam Grinwis - Orlando City SC
- Goalkeeper Brandon Austin Returns to Tottenham Hotspur - Orlando City SC
- Earthquakes Face Seattle Sounders FC Today - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sounders FC Hosts the San Jose Earthquakes on Saturday Afternoon at Lumen Field - Seattle Sounders FC
- Whitecaps FC Acquire Scottish Attacking Midfielder Ryan Gauld from SC Farense - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo FC Return to Bbva Stadium After Two-Game Road Trip - Houston Dynamo FC
- LA Galaxy Earn 4-1 Win over the Portland Timbers at Dignity Health Sports Park on Friday Night - LA Galaxy
- Timbers Fall on the Road to LA Galaxy - Portland Timbers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Inter Miami CF Stories
- Academy Update: 2021 Generation Adidas Cup Winter Event
- Inter Miami to Host Art Battle Contest Presented by Heineken
- Inter Miami CF Hosts Second Edition of the Copa de la Familia Presented by Wendy's
- Academy U-13 and U-14 Teams Win 2021 Copa Rayados International Titles
- Inter Miami CF Assistant Coach Anthony Pulis Departs Club for New Opportunity