Dogs Spoil Quality Simms Start, Fall to St. Paul 3-1
Rosemont, Ill. - Trevor Simms pitched six and two-thirds quality innings, but the Chicago bats went quietly Thursday night as the St. Paul Saints defeated the Dogs 3-1 in the opener of a three-game series at Impact Field.
St. Paul starter Trevor Foss tossed six and one-third strong innings of his own, and the Saints bullpen recorded the final eight outs, all via strike outs, to secure the fourth win in a row for St. Paul.
St. Paul scored first Thursday on an RBI fielder's choice from Max Murphy to plate Justin O'Conner from third base in the top of the third inning. St Paul then padded their cushion on an O'Conner RBI single in the top of the seventh to make the score 2-0.
The hit was part of a 2-3 night for O'Conner, and a 7-14 night from the St. Paul six through nine hitters.
The Dogs slashed the deficit in half on a Stephen Perez RBI single in the bottom of the seventh inning that scored Tony Rosselli from second base. Perez then stole second base to move the tying run into scoring position, but Saints reliever Beck Wheeler punched out two Dogs to end the threat.
Rosselli finished the game 3-4 with a double, and Joe Benson went 2-4 out of the leadoff hole.
The Saints tacked on a run of insurance in the top of the ninth inning, and Ken Frosch and Zack Jones recorded the final five outs to end the game.
The Dogs fall to 39-50 on the year with the loss, while St. Paul moves to 53-37 on the season with the victory. The two teams will resume their series Friday night at Impact Field.
First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. The first 1,500 young fans through the gates will receive a Chicago Dogs backpack presented by Coca-Cola. Tickets are available in line at the Impact Field Ticket Office and online at www.thechicagodogs.com/tickets/
The game will broadcast at www.thechicagodogs.com/broadcasts/ with the Crowne Plaza Pregame Show beginning at 6:45 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 24, 2018
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Goldeyes Homer Five Times to Outslug T-Bones - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RailCats Avoid Being No-Hit in 9th But Fall to RedHawks, 7-1 - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Banwart Superb Again, Wingnuts Inch Closer to T-Bones - Wichita Wingnuts
- Saints Keep Rolling with Fifth Straight Win, Crush Dogs 10-3 - St. Paul Saints
- Railroaders Lose Fourth in a Row - Cleburne Railroaders
- Dogs Sign Former Batavia High Product Allison - Chicago Dogs
- Wheeling and Dealing: Saints Make Two Trades for Depth at Deadline, Add Outfielder, Local Product Dan Motl and Utility Man Trevor Sealey - St. Paul Saints
- T-Bones Boost Offense with Hayes Bat - Kansas City T-Bones
- Canaries Trade Dan Motl to St. Paul, Sign Catcher Vasquez - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Joe Everson, Anthem Artist, to Perform at T-Bones Stadium - Kansas City T-Bones
- X's Almost Complete Comeback against Birds - Sioux City Explorers
- Canaries Hang on for Road Win over Sioux City - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Robichaux Comes One out Away from No-Hitter in Saltdogs Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Dogs Spoil Quality Simms Start, Fall to St. Paul 3-1 - Chicago Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Dogs Stories
- Keon Barnum Selected as American Association MVP
- Dogs Drop Season Finale to St. Paul, Finish 59-41
- Victor Roache Earns Third Player of the Week Honor
- Keon Barnum, Victor Roache Named Postseason American Association All-Stars
- Dogs Fall To Saints On Barnum's Historic Night