RailCats Avoid Being No-Hit in 9th But Fall to RedHawks, 7-1
GARY, Ind. - A complete-game performance from Trey McNutt was too much for Gary to overcome in front of 5,106 in attendance at U.S. Steel Yard on Jimmy Buffet Night as the RailCats fell to the Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks, 7-1. Despite losing on Friday, Gary remains ahead of Fargo-Moorhead by 3.5 games for the second and final playoff spot in the North Division but now trail St. Paul by two games for first place after the Saints won their fifth straight game on Friday.
Cole Fabio broke up Trey McNutt's no-hitter with one out in the bottom of the ninth on an opposite-field double before scoring Gary's (52-39) only run on Andy De Jesus' two-out RBI single.
Fargo-Moorhead (48-42) got on the board with a two-out run in the first. Leo Pina reached on a two-out infield single before advancing to second on an Austin Wright wild pitch. Maikol Gonzalez followed with an RBI single to center for the first run.
The RedHawks doubled their lead to 2-0 with another run in the fifth. Yhoxian Medina doubled for the first of his three doubles on the evening to begin the inning before advancing to third on Quinn Irey's sacrifice bunt. Two batters later, Tim Colwell brought Medina home on a safety squeeze bunt.
Fargo-Moorhead made it 3-0 with another two-out run in the seventh. Devan Ahart singled with two outs for his second of three hits before scoring on Chris Jacobs' RBI double to left-center.
The RedHawks increased their lead to seven with four more runs in the top of the ninth. Pina drove in the first run of the frame with a sacrifice fly to center before Gonzalez delivered his second RBI of the game with an RBI double. Medina followed Gonzalez with a two-run double down in to the left field corner for Fargo's final two runs of the game.
Wright (0-1) was charged with the loss in his home debut. The southpaw allowed two runs on five hits, walked two and struck out five over five innings. Tillman Pugh snapped McNutt's perfect game with a four-pitch walk to begin the bottom of the seventh and increased his season-high on-base streak to 36 games.
McNutt (7-7) recorded his second straight win and first complete game victory of the year. The second-year RedHawk was perfect through six and was two outs away from the first no-hitter of the 2018 American Association season. McNutt yielded just two hits, walked one and struck out 10 on 129 pitches, 83 strikes over nine innings.
Gary and Fargo-Moorhead play one another for the final time during the regular-season on Saturday at 6:10 p.m. RailCats send LHP Lars Liguori (3-7, 3.75) to the mound in the series finale against RedHawks RHP DJ Brown (9-2, 3.98)
Saturday's game is the return of Clunker Car Night and is another Kids Run the Bases and Signature Saturday, courtesy of AccessAbilities, Inc. The RailCats will be raffling off cars throughout Saturday's game and can enter the raffle by simply purchasing a ticket to the game.
Jared Shlensky and Brennan Mense bring you all 100 RailCats game this season on WEFM (95.9 FM) and online at railcatsbaseball.com. Ticket packages for the 2018 Gary SouthShore RailCats season are available online at railcatsbaseball.com and can also be purchased by calling the RailCats ticket line at (219) 882-BALL. The RailCats box office is open Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 24, 2018
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Goldeyes Homer Five Times to Outslug T-Bones - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RailCats Avoid Being No-Hit in 9th But Fall to RedHawks, 7-1 - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Banwart Superb Again, Wingnuts Inch Closer to T-Bones - Wichita Wingnuts
- Saints Keep Rolling with Fifth Straight Win, Crush Dogs 10-3 - St. Paul Saints
- Railroaders Lose Fourth in a Row - Cleburne Railroaders
- Dogs Sign Former Batavia High Product Allison - Chicago Dogs
- Wheeling and Dealing: Saints Make Two Trades for Depth at Deadline, Add Outfielder, Local Product Dan Motl and Utility Man Trevor Sealey - St. Paul Saints
- T-Bones Boost Offense with Hayes Bat - Kansas City T-Bones
- Canaries Trade Dan Motl to St. Paul, Sign Catcher Vasquez - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Joe Everson, Anthem Artist, to Perform at T-Bones Stadium - Kansas City T-Bones
- X's Almost Complete Comeback against Birds - Sioux City Explorers
- Canaries Hang on for Road Win over Sioux City - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Robichaux Comes One out Away from No-Hitter in Saltdogs Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Dogs Spoil Quality Simms Start, Fall to St. Paul 3-1 - Chicago Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gary SouthShore Railcats Stories
- RailCats Announce Full Schedule and Opening Day for 2020 Season
- RailCats Season Pass Offers Unlimited Fun in All-New General Admission Seat
- RailCats End Season with First Home Sweep, Shutout Saltdogs, 3-0
- Lubking, De Jesus Lead 'Cats to 3-1 Victory over Saltdogs in Penultimate Game
- Griffin, Bullpen Blank Saltdogs,2-0, in Series Opener