D.C. United Acquires Atlanta United Midfielder Julian Gressel for $750,000 in TAM
Loudoun County, VA - D.C. United have acquired midfielder Julian Gressel from Atlanta United FC in exchange for $650,000 in Targeted Allocation Money (TAM) in 2020 and $100,000 in TAM in 2021 with additional compensation owed to Atlanta if incentives based on performance are met.
"We're excited to bring a player of Julian's quality and pedigree to the club ahead of the 2020 season," Dave Kasper, D.C. United General Manager and VP of Soccer Operations, said. "He has impressed throughout his time in MLS and has been a major component to Atlanta's success in the league since 2017. Last year, he led Atlanta in assists and chances created while also scoring eight goals so we're looking forward to adding his impressive goal creating ability and eye for goal to our roster in 2020 and beyond."
Gressel joined Atlanta United FC in their inaugural season after being selected 8th overall in the 2017 MLS SuperDraft. He made his debut for Atlanta in their first MLS match in club history on March 5, 2017 against the New York Red Bulls. He recorded his first career assist in the following match when Atlanta beat Minnesota United 6-1 at TCF Bank Stadium on March 12, 2017. In his rookie season, Gressel scored five goals and recorded nine assists in 32 appearances (24 starts) on the way to earning the 2017 MLS Rookie of the Year award.
Since joining Atlanta United in 2017, Gressel has been a leader in assists across the league after recording 32 in 98 appearances (88 starts) since March 2017; ahead of Michael Barrios (30), Maxi Moralez (29), Nicolas Lodeiro (28) and Diego Valeri (27). 29 of Gressel's 32 assists came from open play; another statistical category he leads since joining the league. In addition to the goals he has created, Gressel has scored 15 MLS Regular Season goals in addition to two goals in the Audi MLS Cup Playoffs with both coming last season against Philadelphia and Toronto. The dynamic midfielder has created 179 total chances during his time with Atlanta to lead one of the most efficient offensive teams in the league in that category. Gressel was an important component in Atlanta's 2018 MLS Cup Championship run after appearing in all five of their postseason matches; playing 90 minutes in each fixture. He recorded an assist in the 3-0 win against the New York Red Bulls in the Eastern Conference Championship.
Prior to being selected by Atlanta United in the 2017 MLS SuperDraft, Gressel played four years for the Providence College NCAA Division I Men's Soccer Team. In four seasons, Gressel scored 30 goals and recorded 26 assists in 74 appearances for the Friars. In his final collegiate season in 2016, Gressel scored 15 goals (five game-winning) and recorded six assists on the way to earning Big East Offensive Player of the Year, NSCAA First-Team All-American and All-Big East First Team accolades along witj being named a Top-15 MAC Hermann Semifinalist.
Player: Julian Gressel
Birthplace: Neustadt an der Aisch, Germany
Previous Club: Atlanta United FC
Status: Green Card
Transaction: D.C. United acquire Julian Gressel from Atlanta United in exchange for $650,000 in TAM in 2020 and $100,000 in 2021 with additional compensation owed to Atlanta if incentives based on performance are met.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 21, 2020
- Sounders FC's CONCACAF Champions League Match at CD Olimpia on February 20 Moved to San Pedro Sula - Seattle Sounders FC
- Atlanta United Acquires Adam Jahn from Phoenix Rising - Atlanta United FC
- LAFC to Host Third Annual Job Fair for Banc of California Stadium Employees - Los Angeles FC
- Timbers Set to Travel to Costa Rica for 2020 Preseason - Portland Timbers
- Whitecaps FC Acquire Ghanaian Midfielder Leonard Owusu from Israeli Premier League Side FC Ashdod - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Atlanta United Acquires up to $1.1 Million in Allocation Money from D.C. United - Atlanta United FC
- D.C. United Acquires Atlanta United Midfielder Julian Gressel for $750,000 in TAM - D.C. United
- FC Cincinnati Loan Goalkeeper Ben Lundt to Louisville City FC - FC Cincinnati
- Real Salt Lake Signs Defender Ashtone Morgan - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas Signs Liga MX Forward Franco Jara - FC Dallas
- LA Galaxy Sign Forward Javier "Chicharito" HernÃÂ¡ndez - LA Galaxy
- New York Red Bulls Bring Back Josh Sims on Loan - New York Red Bulls
- Dynamo Charities Host Grand Opening for Mini Pitches at Herman Brown Park - Houston Dynamo
- Toronto FC Sign Defender Rocco Romeo - Toronto FC
- FC Dallas Trades Jacori Hayes to Minnesota United FC - FC Dallas
- MNUFC Acquires Midfielder Jacori Hayes in Trade with FC Dallas - Minnesota United FC
- FC Cincinnati Foundation Announces Second-Annual Served by the Pros Fundraiser - FC Cincinnati
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent D.C. United Stories
- D.C. United Win 2-1 against Atlanta United on the Road
- D.C. United Win 2-1 against FC Cincinnati on the Road
- D.C. United Draw the Philadelphia Union 2-2 at Audi Field
- D.C. United Lose 2-1 to Chicago Fire FC on the Road
- D.C. United Acquire $50,000 in GAM from Inter Miami CF for Federico Higuain