Atlanta United Acquires Adam Jahn from Phoenix Rising
ATLANTA - Atlanta United announced today it has signed forward Adam Jahn from Phoenix Rising for an undisclosed transfer fee. Additionally, Atlanta will send Lagos Kunga to Phoenix on loan for the duration of the 2020 USL season.
"Adam brings a wealth of MLS experience and we're pleased to add him to our roster," Atlanta United Vice President and Technical Director Carlos Bocanegra said. "He is coming off a strong season with Phoenix and will provide additional competition to our attack."
Jahn, 29, is a seven-year professional who has more than 100 appearances in MLS. He spent the 2019 season with Phoenix Rising where he scored 17 goals, fifth-most in the league, and helped lead the team to the regular season title as it broke the USL Championship point total record with 78 points. Jahn was selected to USL Championship's All-League First Team as his 17 goals and five assists helped Phoenix's attack set a new league record for goals in a regular season.
The 6-foot-3 striker played for Columbus Crew SC from 2016-18 where he scored six goals in 41 appearances. Prior to Columbus, Jahn was drafted by the San Jose Earthquakes with the 15th pick in the 2013 MLS Supplemental Draft and played there for parts of four seasons from 2013-16. He made his MLS debut on March 3, 2013 and scored his first professional goal against New York Red Bulls on March 10. Overall in MLS play, Jahn has 12 goals and two assists in 103 league appearances. He also spent time on-loan with USL sides Oklahoma City Energy (2018) and Sacramento Republic (2014 and 2016) and has 29 career goals and eight assists across 74 appearances in USL play.
Kunga, 21, played with Atlanta United's academy and signed as a Homegrown Player on June 17, 2017. He made one appearance for the First Team for his Atlanta United debut while on a short-term loan in a Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup match against Miami FC on June 28, 2017. In 2019, Kunga played two games with ATL UTD 2 in the USL Championship before being loaned to Memphis 901 FC. With Memphis, Kunga played in 22 matches including 10 starts and scored one goal. He played in 31 games during Atlanta United 2's inaugural 2018 season and scored five goals and added two assists.
"It's a good opportunity for Lagos, as Phoenix expressed an interest in acquiring him," Bocanegra said. "We see this as a mutually beneficial trade for both teams."
Name: Adam Jahn
Birthdate: Jan. 5, 1991 (age: 29)
Birthplace: El Macero, California
Transaction: Adam Jahn signed with Atlanta United from Phoenix Rising on Jan. 21, 2020 in exchange for an undisclosed transfer fee. Additionally, Atlanta will send Lagos Kunga to Phoenix on loan for the duration of the 2020 USL season.
2020 Atlanta United roster (as of Jan. 21, 2020)
Goalkeepers (3): Brad Guzan, Alec Kann, Brendan Moore
Defenders (10): George Bello, George Campbell, Edgar Castillo, Franco Escobar, Jon Gallagher*, Brooks Lennon, Fernando Meza, Patrick Nielsen***, Miles Robinson, Anton Walkes
Midfielders (7): Mo Adams, Ezequiel Barco, Andrew Carleton, Luiz Fernando, Emerson Hyndman, Jeff Larentowicz, Eric Remedi
Forwards (5): Adam Jahn, Lagos Kunga**, Josef Martinez, Pity Martinez, Tito Villalba
* - on loan with Aberdeen
** - on loan with Phoenix Rising
*** - unsigned SuperDraft pick
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 21, 2020
- Sounders FC's CONCACAF Champions League Match at CD Olimpia on February 20 Moved to San Pedro Sula - Seattle Sounders FC
- Atlanta United Acquires Adam Jahn from Phoenix Rising - Atlanta United FC
- LAFC to Host Third Annual Job Fair for Banc of California Stadium Employees - Los Angeles FC
- Timbers Set to Travel to Costa Rica for 2020 Preseason - Portland Timbers
- Whitecaps FC Acquire Ghanaian Midfielder Leonard Owusu from Israeli Premier League Side FC Ashdod - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Atlanta United Acquires up to $1.1 Million in Allocation Money from D.C. United - Atlanta United FC
- D.C. United Acquires Atlanta United Midfielder Julian Gressel for $750,000 in TAM - D.C. United
- FC Cincinnati Loan Goalkeeper Ben Lundt to Louisville City FC - FC Cincinnati
- Real Salt Lake Signs Defender Ashtone Morgan - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas Signs Liga MX Forward Franco Jara - FC Dallas
- LA Galaxy Sign Forward Javier "Chicharito" HernÃÂ¡ndez - LA Galaxy
- New York Red Bulls Bring Back Josh Sims on Loan - New York Red Bulls
- Dynamo Charities Host Grand Opening for Mini Pitches at Herman Brown Park - Houston Dynamo
- Toronto FC Sign Defender Rocco Romeo - Toronto FC
- FC Dallas Trades Jacori Hayes to Minnesota United FC - FC Dallas
- MNUFC Acquires Midfielder Jacori Hayes in Trade with FC Dallas - Minnesota United FC
- FC Cincinnati Foundation Announces Second-Annual Served by the Pros Fundraiser - FC Cincinnati
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Atlanta United Announce Year-End Roster Moves
- Atlanta United Announces Provisional Roster for Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League
- Two Atlanta United Players Undergo Successful Post-Season Surgery
- MLS Unveils 2020 Best-Selling Jerseys; Josef Martinez Only Player to Rank Top-Three in Each of the Past Four Seasons
- Atlanta United Drops Regular Season Finale to Columbus Crew SC