New York Red Bulls Bring Back Josh Sims on Loan
HARRISON, N.J. - The New York Red Bulls have reached agreement with Southampton FC to bring winger Josh Sims back to New York on loan, pending receipt of his P-1 Visa. The loan will last from January until June 30, with an option to extend. Sims, 22, first joined New York for the second half of the 2019 season. He will be added to the Red Bulls roster as a Young Designated Player.
"We are pleased to reach an agreement to bring Josh back to New York," said Red Bulls Sporting Director Denis Hamlett. "In his performances at the end of last season, we saw glimpses of why he was our top choice in last Summer's transfer window. Josh is a player that can maximize our philosophy with his speed, aggressiveness and quality on the ball. We're excited to see how Josh can build upon his time with us last year."
While with New York in 2019, Sims recorded a goal and assist in eight appearances over the final part of the 2019 season. His first goal for the club came as an early spark in the playoff match against the Philadelphia Union, but he was forced out of the match with injury in the 29th minute.
"Josh proved to be a great addition to our club last year, as a person and a player, and we're pleased to bring him back," said Red Bulls Head Coach Chris Armas. "Josh has so many qualities that we like and look for, and he made a difference for us in the final third. We expect him to play a big role heading into this season."
Sims made his Southampton debut in the Premier League in November 2016, earning an assist on the eventual game-winning goal against Everton. Weeks later, he earned a start for Southampton in a Europa League match, marking his first venture in European competition. Sims has made 26 appearances across all competitions for Southampton's senior team, including 20 in the Premier League, recording two assists in 573 league minutes.
"I'm delighted to have rejoined the New York Red Bulls on loan," said Sims. "I enjoyed my time there last season but felt it was cut short, so I'm ready to start the season strongly and help push the team to improve on last season. I'm fit and ready to go, I felt New York was a good fit for me last season and that's one of the reasons I've chose to come back, the boys, the staff, and everyone connected to the club made me feel welcome from the first minute and I can't wait to see everyone again and rejoin the team."
Sims is a native of Yeovil, England. He was a member of Southampton's academy before being promoted to the First Team in 2016. Sims has appeared for England at several youth international levels, most recently in the 2019 Toulon Tournament against U-23 competition.
Sims will join the Red Bulls for preseason camp when he receives his P-1 Visa.
Transaction: New York Red Bulls add Josh Sims as a Young Designated Player, on loan from Southampton FC, pending receipt of his P-1 Visa.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 21, 2020
- Sounders FC's CONCACAF Champions League Match at CD Olimpia on February 20 Moved to San Pedro Sula - Seattle Sounders FC
- Atlanta United Acquires Adam Jahn from Phoenix Rising - Atlanta United FC
- LAFC to Host Third Annual Job Fair for Banc of California Stadium Employees - Los Angeles FC
- Timbers Set to Travel to Costa Rica for 2020 Preseason - Portland Timbers
- Whitecaps FC Acquire Ghanaian Midfielder Leonard Owusu from Israeli Premier League Side FC Ashdod - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Atlanta United Acquires up to $1.1 Million in Allocation Money from D.C. United - Atlanta United FC
- D.C. United Acquires Atlanta United Midfielder Julian Gressel for $750,000 in TAM - D.C. United
- FC Cincinnati Loan Goalkeeper Ben Lundt to Louisville City FC - FC Cincinnati
- Real Salt Lake Signs Defender Ashtone Morgan - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas Signs Liga MX Forward Franco Jara - FC Dallas
- LA Galaxy Sign Forward Javier "Chicharito" HernÃÂ¡ndez - LA Galaxy
- New York Red Bulls Bring Back Josh Sims on Loan - New York Red Bulls
- Dynamo Charities Host Grand Opening for Mini Pitches at Herman Brown Park - Houston Dynamo FC
- Toronto FC Sign Defender Rocco Romeo - Toronto FC
- FC Dallas Trades Jacori Hayes to Minnesota United FC - FC Dallas
- MNUFC Acquires Midfielder Jacori Hayes in Trade with FC Dallas - Minnesota United FC
- FC Cincinnati Foundation Announces Second-Annual Served by the Pros Fundraiser - FC Cincinnati
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- Red Bulls Defeat New York City FC 1-0 at Yankee Stadium
- Red Bulls Travel to Yankee Stadium for Their Second New York Derby of the Week
- Red Bulls Draw New York City FC 1-1
- Red Bulls Host New York City FC in the First of Two New York Derby's this Week
- New York Defeats Inter Miami CF 4-0