Atlanta United Acquires up to $1.1 Million in Allocation Money from D.C. United
ATLANTA - Atlanta United announced today it has acquired up to $1.1 million in allocation money from D.C. United in exchange for midfielder Julian Gressel. Atlanta will receive $650,000 of Targeted Allocation Money (TAM) in 2020 and $100,000 of TAM in 2021. Additionally, the club can receive up to $350,000 in TAM if Gressel meets certain performance-based metrics with D.C. United. Atlanta United Vice President and Technical Director Carlos Bocanegra will be available to media via conference call at 4:15 p.m. To join the call, dial (385) 799-9525. No pin is required to enter.
"We want to thank Julian for his service to our club over the past three seasons," Bocanegra said. "Coming out of college, Julian played an important role in building our team and helping the club win three major trophies. We wish him luck in his future."
Gressel, 26, was selected with the No. 8 pick in the 2017 MLS SuperDraft, Atlanta United's second pick. After scoring five goals and recording nine assists in 2017, Gressel was named the 2017 MLS Rookie of the Year. The German midfielder carried over his form into the 2018 season, where he was tied for the team lead with 14 assists, helping Atlanta United win the 2018 MLS Cup. In 2019, Gressel scored a career-high six goals and contributed 12 assists. His versatility was on display as Frank de Boer deployed the midfielder in several positions. Gressel's form continued into the postseason, where he scored two goals and added one assist.
TRANSACTION: Atlanta United acquires up to $1.1 million in allocation money in exchange for Julian Gressel on Jan. 21, 2020. Atlanta will receive $650,000 of Targeted Allocation Money (TAM) in 2020 and $100,000 of TAM in 2021. Additionally, the club can receive up to $350,000 in TAM if Gressel meets certain performance-based metrics with D.C. United.
2020 Atlanta United roster (as of Jan. 21, 2020)
Goalkeepers (3): Brad Guzan, Alec Kann, Brendan Moore
Defenders (10): George Bello, George Campbell, Edgar Castillo, Franco Escobar, Jon Gallagher*, Brooks Lennon, Fernando Meza, Patrick Nielsen**, Miles Robinson, Anton Walkes,
Midfielders (7): Mo Adams, Ezequiel Barco, Andrew Carleton, Luiz Fernando, Emerson Hyndman, Jeff Larentowicz, Eric Remedi
Forwards (4): Lagos Kunga, Josef Martinez, Pity Martinez, Tito Villalba
* - on loan with Aberdeen
** - unsigned SuperDraft pick
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 21, 2020
- Sounders FC's CONCACAF Champions League Match at CD Olimpia on February 20 Moved to San Pedro Sula - Seattle Sounders FC
- Atlanta United Acquires Adam Jahn from Phoenix Rising - Atlanta United FC
- LAFC to Host Third Annual Job Fair for Banc of California Stadium Employees - Los Angeles FC
- Timbers Set to Travel to Costa Rica for 2020 Preseason - Portland Timbers
- Whitecaps FC Acquire Ghanaian Midfielder Leonard Owusu from Israeli Premier League Side FC Ashdod - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Atlanta United Acquires up to $1.1 Million in Allocation Money from D.C. United - Atlanta United FC
- D.C. United Acquires Atlanta United Midfielder Julian Gressel for $750,000 in TAM - D.C. United
- FC Cincinnati Loan Goalkeeper Ben Lundt to Louisville City FC - FC Cincinnati
- Real Salt Lake Signs Defender Ashtone Morgan - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas Signs Liga MX Forward Franco Jara - FC Dallas
- LA Galaxy Sign Forward Javier "Chicharito" HernÃÂ¡ndez - LA Galaxy
- New York Red Bulls Bring Back Josh Sims on Loan - New York Red Bulls
- Dynamo Charities Host Grand Opening for Mini Pitches at Herman Brown Park - Houston Dynamo
- Toronto FC Sign Defender Rocco Romeo - Toronto FC
- FC Dallas Trades Jacori Hayes to Minnesota United FC - FC Dallas
- MNUFC Acquires Midfielder Jacori Hayes in Trade with FC Dallas - Minnesota United FC
- FC Cincinnati Foundation Announces Second-Annual Served by the Pros Fundraiser - FC Cincinnati
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Atlanta United Announce Year-End Roster Moves
- Atlanta United Announces Provisional Roster for Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League
- Two Atlanta United Players Undergo Successful Post-Season Surgery
- MLS Unveils 2020 Best-Selling Jerseys; Josef Martinez Only Player to Rank Top-Three in Each of the Past Four Seasons
- Atlanta United Drops Regular Season Finale to Columbus Crew SC