Dynamo Charities Host Grand Opening for Mini Pitches at Herman Brown Park
HOUSTON - Dynamo Charities and Houston Dynamo Legend Stuart Holden, in partnership with the Houston Parks and Recreation Department, will host a grand opening of the mini pitches built at Herman Brown Park (400 Mercury Dr, Houston, TX 77013) at 12:30 p.m. on Thursday, Jan. 23.
"A couple of years ago when Hurricane Harvey ravaged Houston, I knew I needed to find a way to help my hometown. It all started with a post on social media and blossomed into a successful celebrity soccer match that brought together a city in a time of need," Holden said. "I'm extremely proud to return to Houston this week to open a number of inner city mini-pitches with some of the proceeds from Kick In For Houston. None of this would've been possible without fellow Houstonians, volunteers, my good friend and former teammate Brian Ching and the entire Houston Dynamo organization. I hope to see a lot of familiar faces on Thursday and look forward to meeting many more as we celebrate the grand opening."
Four mini-pitches were built at Herman Brown Park and they will be open to the public during the park hours of 8 a.m. - 9 p.m. The Dynamo in collaboration with Dynamo Charities will host free soccer clinics at Herman Brown Park this spring in addition to programing from the Houston Parks and Recreation Department.
"We thank the Houston Dynamo for their partnership which has allowed us together to provide new opportunities for soccer in the Northshore area," said Steve Wright, Director Houston Parks and Recreation Department. "We look forward to their continued support through their free clinics at Herman Brown Park."
The Houston Dynamo will provide free clinics at the mini-pitches in March. For clinic dates and additional information, visit HoustonDynamo.com/Charities.
A portion of the funds generated from the Kick In For Houston charity match organized by Holden at BBVA Stadium in 2017 paid for the construction of the mini pitches. The match was a nationally televised event that brought stars from sports and entertainment to Houston to raise money for Hurricane Harvey victims. Dynamo Charities and the Houston Parks and Recreation Department provided additional funds to complete the construction.
Herman Brown Park was selected as the site of the mini-pitches in answer to a need expressed by the soccer community. Underused facilities were converted to provide an all-weather area for soccer players. Project and fiscal management for the Herman Brown Mini Pitch Project was managed by the Houston Parks Board through the Neighborhood Partnership Program.
"We are excited to celebrate the grand opening of the mini-pitch courts alongside community members, Dynamo Charities, and the Houston Parks and Recreation Department," said Beth White, President and CEO of Houston Parks Board. "We truly believe that parks should serve the recreational needs of the community and we are hopeful these pitches will be used by many for years to come."
Holden will be joined by more than 40 students from nearby Whittier Elementary School. These students and residents from the northeast Houston area will be able to use the mini-pitches year-round and each filed is fully lit to remain available during park hours.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 21, 2020
- Sounders FC's CONCACAF Champions League Match at CD Olimpia on February 20 Moved to San Pedro Sula - Seattle Sounders FC
- Atlanta United Acquires Adam Jahn from Phoenix Rising - Atlanta United FC
- LAFC to Host Third Annual Job Fair for Banc of California Stadium Employees - Los Angeles FC
- Timbers Set to Travel to Costa Rica for 2020 Preseason - Portland Timbers
- Whitecaps FC Acquire Ghanaian Midfielder Leonard Owusu from Israeli Premier League Side FC Ashdod - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Atlanta United Acquires up to $1.1 Million in Allocation Money from D.C. United - Atlanta United FC
- D.C. United Acquires Atlanta United Midfielder Julian Gressel for $750,000 in TAM - D.C. United
- FC Cincinnati Loan Goalkeeper Ben Lundt to Louisville City FC - FC Cincinnati
- Real Salt Lake Signs Defender Ashtone Morgan - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas Signs Liga MX Forward Franco Jara - FC Dallas
- LA Galaxy Sign Forward Javier "Chicharito" HernÃÂ¡ndez - LA Galaxy
- New York Red Bulls Bring Back Josh Sims on Loan - New York Red Bulls
- Dynamo Charities Host Grand Opening for Mini Pitches at Herman Brown Park - Houston Dynamo
- Toronto FC Sign Defender Rocco Romeo - Toronto FC
- FC Dallas Trades Jacori Hayes to Minnesota United FC - FC Dallas
- MNUFC Acquires Midfielder Jacori Hayes in Trade with FC Dallas - Minnesota United FC
- FC Cincinnati Foundation Announces Second-Annual Served by the Pros Fundraiser - FC Cincinnati
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dynamo Stories
- Houston Dynamo FC & Kroger to Offer Drive-Thru Flu Shots December 5 at BBVA Stadium
- Dynamo Charities to Host Holiday Food Drive at BBVA Stadium Saturday
- Houston Dynamo Football Club and Houston Dash Unveil New Club Initiatives, Brand Identity and Primary Badges
- Four Houston Dynamo Players Report for International Duty
- Houston Dynamo Re-Sign Defender Zarek Valentin