Toronto FC Sign Defender Rocco Romeo
Toronto FC announced today that the club has signed defender Rocco Romeo as a Homegrown Player. Romeo becomes the 21st player in club history to sign for the first team from the Toronto FC Academy.
"We're excited to have Rocco on a first team contract. He gained valuable experience last year playing in Europe, with our USL team, and training at times with the first team. Rocco is a talented, strong, athletic young central defender with a competitive personality. His competitive personality is incredible. It's also very important to the development of a young player, and it's infectious, and we love it," said Toronto FC General Manager Ali Curtis. "He strives to get better every single day, and we're looking forward to working with him. And, it has to be noted that we are also very happy for Rocco's family as they have supported him to get to this point, and in all ways."
Romeo, 19, appeared in 10 matches for Toronto FC II during the 2019 USL One regular season. During the same season, he went on a short loan spell to HB KÃ¶ge (Second Division, Denmark), where he made eight appearances.
Romeo made his professional debut for Toronto FC II when he came on as a substitute against Charlotte Independence on September 4, 2016. He originally signed with Toronto FC II on September 15, 2017, becoming the 28th player to sign from the Toronto FC Academy to a professional contract.
Romeo joined the TFC Academy in 2014, coming from Woodbridge S.C. Internationally, Romeo represented Canada at the 2018 Concacaf Men's Under-20 Championship.
TRANSACTION: Toronto FC has signed defender Rocco Romeo as a Homegrown Player.
Birthdate: March 25, 2000
Birthplace: Toronto, ON
Hometown: Toronto, ON
Last Club: Toronto FC II
How Acquired: Signed with Toronto FC
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 21, 2020
- Sounders FC's CONCACAF Champions League Match at CD Olimpia on February 20 Moved to San Pedro Sula - Seattle Sounders FC
- Atlanta United Acquires Adam Jahn from Phoenix Rising - Atlanta United FC
- LAFC to Host Third Annual Job Fair for Banc of California Stadium Employees - Los Angeles FC
- Timbers Set to Travel to Costa Rica for 2020 Preseason - Portland Timbers
- Whitecaps FC Acquire Ghanaian Midfielder Leonard Owusu from Israeli Premier League Side FC Ashdod - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Atlanta United Acquires up to $1.1 Million in Allocation Money from D.C. United - Atlanta United FC
- D.C. United Acquires Atlanta United Midfielder Julian Gressel for $750,000 in TAM - D.C. United
- FC Cincinnati Loan Goalkeeper Ben Lundt to Louisville City FC - FC Cincinnati
- Real Salt Lake Signs Defender Ashtone Morgan - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas Signs Liga MX Forward Franco Jara - FC Dallas
- LA Galaxy Sign Forward Javier "Chicharito" HernÃÂ¡ndez - LA Galaxy
- New York Red Bulls Bring Back Josh Sims on Loan - New York Red Bulls
- Dynamo Charities Host Grand Opening for Mini Pitches at Herman Brown Park - Houston Dynamo
- Toronto FC Sign Defender Rocco Romeo - Toronto FC
- FC Dallas Trades Jacori Hayes to Minnesota United FC - FC Dallas
- MNUFC Acquires Midfielder Jacori Hayes in Trade with FC Dallas - Minnesota United FC
- FC Cincinnati Foundation Announces Second-Annual Served by the Pros Fundraiser - FC Cincinnati
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Toronto FC Stories
- Nashville SC (1) - Toronto FC (0) Post Match Summary
- Toronto FC, MLSE Foundation and Black Players for Change Announce Community Partnership Ahead of 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs
- Pozuelo Named to 2020 MLS Best XI
- Toronto FC Announce Academy Mentorship Program
- New York Red Bulls (2) - Toronto FC (1) Post Match Summary