FC Dallas Signs Liga MX Forward Franco Jara
Frisco, Texas - FC Dallas has signed Pachuca forward Franco Jara to a pre-contract ahead of the 2020 season. Jara will join FC Dallas as a Designated Player upon the opening of the Secondary Transfer Window in July. He will also occupy an international roster spot, pending receipt of his P-1 Visa and International Transfer Certificate (ITC). Per team policy, terms of the deal will not be disclosed.
"After we saw how well Franco Jara played against us during 2017 Concacaf Champions League matches, I promised myself that I would work to get him in an FC Dallas uniform if that opportunity ever became available," said FC Dallas President Dan Hunt."He is a proven goal scorer. We're confident that when he arrives in North Texas, he'll be able to contribute right away."
Jara, 31, has scored 76 goals and recorded 19 assists in 158 appearances for Liga MX's CF Pachuca since he joined in 2015. He was part of the team that won the 2016 Clausura that qualified them for the 2016-2017 Concacaf Champions League, where he scored six goals to help Pachuca win their fifth title, including two goals against FC Dallas in the Semifinals.
The Argentine striker started his soccer career in Arsenal de SarandÃ's youth system and made his professional debut for the Argentine's Primera DivisiÃ³n team in a 1-0 loss against Argentinos Juniors on May 23 2008. Jara recorded nine goals and four assists in 50 appearances for the club before signing a five-year deal with Portuguese's Primeira Liga side S.L. Benfica in 2010. While with Benfica, Jara scored 11 goals and added four assists in 47 appearances. He also had stints with Granada CF, San Lorenzo de Almagro and Estudiantes de La Plata between 2011-2014, recording nine goals and nine assists across all teams and competitions.
In 2015, Jara signed with Greek first-division team Olympiacos FC and scored six goals in 17 appearances, including the opening goal in the first half of the Greek Football Cup final against Skoda Xanthi FC that helped Olympiacos win their 27th Greek Cup title on May 23, 2015.
Jara has four appearances for the Argentina National Team. He was first called up on Jan . 19, 2010 and made his international debut for La Albiceleste in an international friendly match against Costa Rica on Jan. 27, where he scored the game-winning goal in the 3-2 win.
Name: Franco Jara
Pronunciation: Frahn-CO JAH-rah
Connect with Franco: Twitter | Instagram
DOB: July 15, 1988 (31)
Birthplace: Villa Maria, Argentina
Hometown: Cordoba, Argentina
Weight: 154 lbs.
Transaction: FC Dallas signs forward Franco Jara to a pre-contract. Jara will be added as a Designated Player upon the opening of the Secondary Transfer Window in July.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 21, 2020
- Sounders FC's CONCACAF Champions League Match at CD Olimpia on February 20 Moved to San Pedro Sula - Seattle Sounders FC
- Atlanta United Acquires Adam Jahn from Phoenix Rising - Atlanta United FC
- LAFC to Host Third Annual Job Fair for Banc of California Stadium Employees - Los Angeles FC
- Timbers Set to Travel to Costa Rica for 2020 Preseason - Portland Timbers
- Whitecaps FC Acquire Ghanaian Midfielder Leonard Owusu from Israeli Premier League Side FC Ashdod - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Atlanta United Acquires up to $1.1 Million in Allocation Money from D.C. United - Atlanta United FC
- D.C. United Acquires Atlanta United Midfielder Julian Gressel for $750,000 in TAM - D.C. United
- FC Cincinnati Loan Goalkeeper Ben Lundt to Louisville City FC - FC Cincinnati
- Real Salt Lake Signs Defender Ashtone Morgan - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas Signs Liga MX Forward Franco Jara - FC Dallas
- LA Galaxy Sign Forward Javier "Chicharito" HernÃÂ¡ndez - LA Galaxy
- New York Red Bulls Bring Back Josh Sims on Loan - New York Red Bulls
- Dynamo Charities Host Grand Opening for Mini Pitches at Herman Brown Park - Houston Dynamo
- Toronto FC Sign Defender Rocco Romeo - Toronto FC
- FC Dallas Trades Jacori Hayes to Minnesota United FC - FC Dallas
- MNUFC Acquires Midfielder Jacori Hayes in Trade with FC Dallas - Minnesota United FC
- FC Cincinnati Foundation Announces Second-Annual Served by the Pros Fundraiser - FC Cincinnati
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent FC Dallas Stories
- FC Dallas Announces Details for Celebrate25 Week Leading up to 2020 Home Opener on February 29
- FC Dallas Announces Enhancements for the 2020 Season
- FC Dallas' 25th Season Features Refreshed Culinary Options at Toyota Stadium
- FC Dallas Signs 2020 SuperDraft No. 14 Overall Pick Nkosi Burgess
- FC Dallas Announces Partnership with Entercom