D.C. United Acquire Yordy Reyna from the Vancouver Whitecaps
Washington, DC - D.C. United have announced the acquisition of Peru National Team forward Yordy Reyna and a 2020 international spot from Vancouver Whitecaps FC in exchange for $400,000 in 2021 General Allocation Money (GAM). Reyna will occupy an international slot on the roster pending receipt of his International Transfer Certificate (ITC) and P-1 Visa, and completion of any mandatory quarantine period under local government and MLS health and safety protocol.
Reyna will join D.C. United for the remainder of the 2020 season and the club hold a team option to extend his contract through 2021. Vancouver will receive additional compensation should D.C. United sign Reyna to a new contract or he is traded or transferred this year or in 2021.
"Acquiring Yordy Reyna from Vancouver has been on our radar for a while now," Dave Kasper, D.C. United General Manager and VP of Soccer Operations, said. "In his three seasons in Major League Soccer, he has shown the quality and goal scoring ability to make a real impact in this league. He's also joining us with a rich international soccer background after featuring regularly with the Peru National Team. We are getting a true attacking talent and we look forward to him bolstering our attack as we push for a playoff spot in 2020."
Reyna joins the Black-and-Red after playing four seasons with the Vancouver Whitecaps. He joined the Whitecaps from Red Bull Salzburg in Austria on Jan. 23, 2017. Since arriving in MLS, Reyna has made 77 league appearances (58 starts); scoring 20 goals and recording 17 assists. He scored his first goal for the club on July 5, 2017 when he grabbed the 88th minute game-winner in a 3-2 win against New York City FC.
The forward has also been a regular for the Peru National Team since making his debut as a 19-year-old in the 1-0 win against Chile on March 23, 2013. Reyna has scored twice in 29 appearances on the international stage. His most recent appearance came in the 1-1 draw with Uruguay on Oct. 16, 2019 in an International Friendly. He joins Edison Flores as the second Peruvian on the Black-and-Red roster, with both playing together regularly for their country.
Reyna started his professional career with Alianza Lima in the top tier of Peruvian soccer when he signed his first contract as a 17-year-old on Jan.1, 2011. In two seasons with the club, he scored six goals and recorded two assists in 22 appearances. He was then signed by Red Bull Salzburg in Austria on July 1, 2013.
After transitioning to Red Bull Salzburg, Reyna scored three goals and recorded four assists in 36 appearances across all competitions. He also featured for the Austrian side three times in UEFA Champions League Qualifying matches. Reyna helped Salzburg lift the Austrian Cup in the 2013-14 and 2015-16 seasons, while also winning the league in 2013-14 and 2015-16.
While in Austria with Salzburg, Reyna went out on loan stints with Red Bull Leipzig in the German second division and SV GrÃ¶dig in the Austrian first division. He joined SV GrÃ¶dig on loan on July 10, 2014. Reyna scored 12 goals and recorded 17 assists in 26 appearances for SV GrÃ¶dig before rejoining Salzburg at the completion of his loan on Jan. 28, 2015. The Peruvian then joined Red Bull Leipzig the following day on Jan. 29, 2015 and spent the next six months in the German second division. Reyna scored one goal in 14 appearances with Leipzig before returning to his parent club in Austria on June 30, 2015. Two seasons later, he was permanently transferred to the Vancouver Whitecaps on Jan. 23, 2017.
Player: Yordy Reyna
Birthplace: Chiclayo, Peru
Weight: 150 lbs
Previous Club: Vancouver Whitecaps (MLS)
Transaction: D.C. United acquire forward Yordy Reyna and a 2020 international spot in exchange for $400,000 in 2021 General Allocation Money (GAM).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 19, 2020
- Rapids Shock Hot Galaxy with 2-0 Win - Colorado Rapids
- Dynamo Rally for 2-2 Draw with Minnesota United FC - Houston Dynamo
- Chicago Fire FC Falls 4-1 to Orlando City SC at Exploria Stadium - Chicago Fire
- MNUFC Earn Point on the Road in Houston - Minnesota United FC
- Medunjanin's late game-winner propels FCC in win - FC Cincinnati
- Nashville SC's Unbeaten Run Comes to An End against First-Place Columbus Crew SC - Nashville SC
- D.C. United Draw 2-2 against Toronto FC at Audi Field - D.C. United
- Toronto FC (2) - D.C. United (2) Post Match Summary - Toronto FC
- Four Lions Find the Back of the Net in 4-1 Win over Chicago - Orlando City SC
- Atlanta United Falls to Inter Miami CF 2-1 - Atlanta United FC
- Medunjanin's Olimpico Leads FC Cincinnati Past New York, 1-0 - New York Red Bulls
- Inter Miami CF Defeats Atlanta United FC 1-2 at Mercedes-Benz Stadium - Inter Miami CF
- Johnny Russell Scores Twice in 3-2 Loss - Sporting Kansas City
- Notes & Quotes: New England Revolution 0 - 0 New York City FC - New York City FC
- Revolution and New York City FC Play to 0-0 Draw - New England Revolution
- FC Dallas Defeats Sporting Kansas City 3-2 at Children's Mercy Park - FC Dallas
- Colorado Rapids Sign Decorated Defender Steven Beitashour to a One-Year Contract - Colorado Rapids
- Colorado Rapids Trade Kei Kamara to Minnesota United FC for $150,000 in GAM - Colorado Rapids
- MNUFC Acquire Forward Kei Kamara from Colorado Rapids - Minnesota United FC
- Timbers Face San Jose Earthquakes in Road Match Tonight - Portland Timbers
- Wednesday's Revolution Match vs. Montreal Impact Moved to 5:00 p.m. - New England Revolution
- Wednesday's Game against New England Moved Earlier to 5pm - Montreal Impact
- Earthquakes Take on Portland Timbers Tonight - San Jose Earthquakes
- Whitecaps FC Acquire $400,000 in MLS Allocation Money from D.C. United for Yordy Reyna - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- D.C. United Acquire Yordy Reyna from the Vancouver Whitecaps - D.C. United
- Columbus Crew SC Hosts Nashville SC Tonight - Columbus Crew SC
- Sounders FC Jumps into First Place in Western Conference with 3-0 Win over LAFC - Seattle Sounders FC
- LAFC Loses 2-0 to Seattle Sounders on the Road - Los Angeles FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent D.C. United Stories
- D.C. United Win 2-1 against FC Cincinnati on the Road
- D.C. United Draw the Philadelphia Union 2-2 at Audi Field
- D.C. United Lose 2-1 to Chicago Fire FC on the Road
- D.C. United Acquire $50,000 in GAM from Inter Miami CF for Federico Higuain
- D.C. United Acquire An International Roster Slot from Sporting KC and Edison Flores Activated from Injured List