Colorado Rapids Sign Decorated Defender Steven Beitashour to a One-Year Contract
The Colorado Rapids announced today the signing of veteran defender Steven Beitashour to a one-year contract with a club option for an additional season.
"As our season enters a congested period with multiple games per week, we're delighted to be able to reinforce our roster with an experienced and decorated player like Steven," said PÃ¡draig Smith, Colorado Rapids Executive VP & General Manager. "Steven not only provides depth to our left back and right back positions, he also brings championship-winning experience that will be immensely valuable as our team continues to make a push for the playoffs."
A ten-year MLS veteran and a 2012 MLS All-Star, Beitashour joins the Rapids via free agency after spending the 2018 and 2019 seasons with LAFC where he helped lead the side to the 2019 Supporters' Shield. The 33-year-old full back recorded three goals and six assists across 55 appearances in his two years with the Southern Californian club.
Prior to LAFC, Beitashour spent the 2016 and 2017 seasons with Toronto FC alongside fellow Rapids defender Drew Moor and goalkeeper Clint Irwin, and under Robin Fraser who was then an assistant coach with the Canadian side. During his time with Toronto, Beitashour reached two MLS Cup finals, winning the 2017 MLS Cup along with the 2017 Supporters' Shield and the 2017 Canadian Championship, which marked the first time in league history an MLS club won "The Treble." He also won the 2016 Canadian Championship in his first year with the club.
Beitashour's time in Canada also included a two-year stint with Vancouver Whitecaps FC (2014-15) with whom he won the 2015 Canadian Championship.
A native of San Jose, California, Beitashour, began his MLS career with his hometown club after being drafted by the Earthquakes in the second round of the 2010 MLS SuperDraft (30th overall). He went on to feature 87 times for the Quakes, recording two goals and 16 assists and helping the club win the 2012 Supporters' Shield.
Born to Iranian parents, Beitashour has six caps for the Iran men's national team and was part of the country's 2014 FIFA World Cup squad.
TRANSACTION: Colorado Rapids sign defender Steven Beitashour to a one-year contract with a club option.
Birthdate: February 1, 1987
Birthplace: San Jose, CA
Last Club: LAFC
Nationality: U.S., Iran
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 19, 2020
- Rapids Shock Hot Galaxy with 2-0 Win - Colorado Rapids
- Dynamo Rally for 2-2 Draw with Minnesota United FC - Houston Dynamo
- Chicago Fire FC Falls 4-1 to Orlando City SC at Exploria Stadium - Chicago Fire
- MNUFC Earn Point on the Road in Houston - Minnesota United FC
- Medunjanin's late game-winner propels FCC in win - FC Cincinnati
- Nashville SC's Unbeaten Run Comes to An End against First-Place Columbus Crew SC - Nashville SC
- D.C. United Draw 2-2 against Toronto FC at Audi Field - D.C. United
- Toronto FC (2) - D.C. United (2) Post Match Summary - Toronto FC
- Four Lions Find the Back of the Net in 4-1 Win over Chicago - Orlando City SC
- Atlanta United Falls to Inter Miami CF 2-1 - Atlanta United FC
- Medunjanin's Olimpico Leads FC Cincinnati Past New York, 1-0 - New York Red Bulls
- Inter Miami CF Defeats Atlanta United FC 1-2 at Mercedes-Benz Stadium - Inter Miami CF
- Johnny Russell Scores Twice in 3-2 Loss - Sporting Kansas City
- Notes & Quotes: New England Revolution 0 - 0 New York City FC - New York City FC
- Revolution and New York City FC Play to 0-0 Draw - New England Revolution
- FC Dallas Defeats Sporting Kansas City 3-2 at Children's Mercy Park - FC Dallas
- Colorado Rapids Sign Decorated Defender Steven Beitashour to a One-Year Contract - Colorado Rapids
- Colorado Rapids Trade Kei Kamara to Minnesota United FC for $150,000 in GAM - Colorado Rapids
- MNUFC Acquire Forward Kei Kamara from Colorado Rapids - Minnesota United FC
- Timbers Face San Jose Earthquakes in Road Match Tonight - Portland Timbers
- Wednesday's Revolution Match vs. Montreal Impact Moved to 5:00 p.m. - New England Revolution
- Wednesday's Game against New England Moved Earlier to 5pm - Montreal Impact
- Earthquakes Take on Portland Timbers Tonight - San Jose Earthquakes
- Whitecaps FC Acquire $400,000 in MLS Allocation Money from D.C. United for Yordy Reyna - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- D.C. United Acquire Yordy Reyna from the Vancouver Whitecaps - D.C. United
- Columbus Crew SC Hosts Nashville SC Tonight - Columbus Crew SC
- Sounders FC Jumps into First Place in Western Conference with 3-0 Win over LAFC - Seattle Sounders FC
- LAFC Loses 2-0 to Seattle Sounders on the Road - Los Angeles FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Cole Bassett, Sam Vines & Kellyn Acosta Called up to USMNT December Camp
- In 2020, the Colorado Rapids Took Steps Toward Future Success
- Minnesota United FC Oust Colorado Rapids
- Minnesota United FC vs Colorado Rapids: Preview: November 22, 2020
- Rapids Look to Carry Momentum from Winning Streak into Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs