Nashville SC's Unbeaten Run Comes to An End against First-Place Columbus Crew SC
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Nashville Soccer Club's four-match unbeaten run came to an end on Saturday with a 2-0 loss to Columbus Crew SC at MAPFRE Stadium. Columbus (8W-1L-3D), who is first in the standings for the Supporters' Shield, brought its undefeated run to five games with the victory.
Nashville (3W-5L-3D) had a string of chances early on in the match. The visitors played a cross into Columbus' box in the 14' minute. Goalkeeper Eloy Room spilled it, but forward Dominique Badji sent his shot over the bar after his team recovered the ball. Midfielder Anibal Godoy also earned a strong chance on an errant clearance by Room in the 28' minute, but his shot was blocked at the goal line.
Five minutes before halftime, Columbus winger LuÃs DÃaz crossed towards forward Gyasi Zardes, but the forward could not reach it. Artur latched onto the cross but shot it over the bar. Nashville owned the tempo of the match going into halftime with 53.7% of possession and an 82.7% passing accuracy.
The first breakthrough of the match came in the 50' minute when United States Men's National Team forward Gyasi Zardes forced a turnover, dribbled into the box from the left and squared the ball to right-winger Pedro Santos, who then smashed the ball into the top-left corner. In the third minute of second-half stoppage time, Zardes added a goal of his own with a backheeled finish off of a low cross from midfielder Artur to seal the win for Crew SC.
It was a battle in the midfield for most of the match, with Nashville SC winning the possession with 58% of the ball. Both teams worked the ball through the wings; Nashville played 18 crosses on the night, but none found a finisher.
After Zardes' 50' minute goal, the teams scrapped some more when Badji won a foul in the 57' minute. Columbus center back Aboubacar Keita grabbed Muyl's foot in the ensuing scrum, earning himself a yellow card. Badji and Muyl combined on the attack four minutes later in the 61' minute with a shot from Muyl straight into the arms of Room.
Midfielder Hany Mukhtar came to life later in the match, as he won a free kick on the edge of Crew SC's box in the 68' minute. He sent his free-kick wide to the left of the goal.
The two teams went end-to-end in the final minutes of the match. Zardes sealed the win for the hosts at the end of that sequence with a tricky finish past Joe Willis.
Pedro Santos (CLB)-50'
Gyasi Zardes (CLB)-90+3'
58% possession - Nashville kept possession of the ball for 58% of the game against the best team in the league. Nashville was the more accurate passing team of the night, with 84% accuracy on 524 passes, compared to just 385 passes for Columbus.
Dan Lovitz is suspended for the next match after receiving a yellow card in the 37' minute
Nashville SC winger Alan Winn made his first MLS start
The loss snaps a four-match unbeaten run for Nashville
Nashville SC will host D.C. United on Wednesday, Sept. 23 at Nissan Stadium. Kickoff is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. CT on MyTV30, ESPN 94.9 and El Jefe.
Starting XI: Joe Willis; Dan Lovitz, Dave Romney, Walker Zimmerman, Alistair Johnston; Dax McCarty, AnÃbal Godoy (Derrick Jones-78'), Hany Mukhtar, Alex Muyl (Taylor Washington-78'), Alan Winn (Daniel RÃos-63'); Dominique Badji
Unused Substitutes: Elliot Panicco, Jalil Anibaba, Matt LaGrassa, Brayan Beckeles, Eric Miller, Tah Brian Anunga
Fatai Alashe-26' (unsporting behavior)
Pedro Santos-27' (unsporting behavior)
Aboubacar Keita-57' (unsporting behavior)
Dan Lovitz-37' (unsporting behavior)
Alex Muyl-71' (unsporting behavior)
AnÃbal Godoy-76' (unsporting behavior)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 19, 2020
- Rapids Shock Hot Galaxy with 2-0 Win - Colorado Rapids
- Dynamo Rally for 2-2 Draw with Minnesota United FC - Houston Dynamo
- Chicago Fire FC Falls 4-1 to Orlando City SC at Exploria Stadium - Chicago Fire
- MNUFC Earn Point on the Road in Houston - Minnesota United FC
- Medunjanin's late game-winner propels FCC in win - FC Cincinnati
- Nashville SC's Unbeaten Run Comes to An End against First-Place Columbus Crew SC - Nashville SC
- D.C. United Draw 2-2 against Toronto FC at Audi Field - D.C. United
- Toronto FC (2) - D.C. United (2) Post Match Summary - Toronto FC
- Four Lions Find the Back of the Net in 4-1 Win over Chicago - Orlando City SC
- Atlanta United Falls to Inter Miami CF 2-1 - Atlanta United FC
- Medunjanin's Olimpico Leads FC Cincinnati Past New York, 1-0 - New York Red Bulls
- Inter Miami CF Defeats Atlanta United FC 1-2 at Mercedes-Benz Stadium - Inter Miami CF
- Johnny Russell Scores Twice in 3-2 Loss - Sporting Kansas City
- Notes & Quotes: New England Revolution 0 - 0 New York City FC - New York City FC
- Revolution and New York City FC Play to 0-0 Draw - New England Revolution
- FC Dallas Defeats Sporting Kansas City 3-2 at Children's Mercy Park - FC Dallas
- Colorado Rapids Sign Decorated Defender Steven Beitashour to a One-Year Contract - Colorado Rapids
- Colorado Rapids Trade Kei Kamara to Minnesota United FC for $150,000 in GAM - Colorado Rapids
- MNUFC Acquire Forward Kei Kamara from Colorado Rapids - Minnesota United FC
- Timbers Face San Jose Earthquakes in Road Match Tonight - Portland Timbers
- Wednesday's Revolution Match vs. Montreal Impact Moved to 5:00 p.m. - New England Revolution
- Wednesday's Game against New England Moved Earlier to 5pm - Montreal Impact
- Earthquakes Take on Portland Timbers Tonight - San Jose Earthquakes
- Whitecaps FC Acquire $400,000 in MLS Allocation Money from D.C. United for Yordy Reyna - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- D.C. United Acquire Yordy Reyna from the Vancouver Whitecaps - D.C. United
- Columbus Crew SC Hosts Nashville SC Tonight - Columbus Crew SC
- Sounders FC Jumps into First Place in Western Conference with 3-0 Win over LAFC - Seattle Sounders FC
- LAFC Loses 2-0 to Seattle Sounders on the Road - Los Angeles FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville SC Stories
- What to Watch for as Nashville SC Faces off against Columbus Crew SC in Eastern Conference Semifinals
- Hany Mukhtar Unlocks Toronto FC; Leads Nashville SC to Second Audi MLS Cup Playoffs Win
- Nashville SC Advances to the Eastern Conference Semifinals in Audi MLS Cup Playoffs with Goal from Daniel Rios
- What to Watch for as Nashville SC Faces Toronto FC in Eastern Conference Quarterfinal
- Nashville SC Shows Its Attacking Quality in 3-0 Playoff Win over Inter Miami CF