MNUFC Acquire Forward Kei Kamara from Colorado Rapids
GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. - Minnesota United announced today that the club has acquired veteran forward Kei Kamara via trade from Colorado Rapids for a second round draft pick in the 2022 MLS SuperDraft and $150,000 in 2021 General Allocation Money (GAM). Kamara will be eligible for competition upon completion of any mandatory quarantine period under local government and MLS health and safety protocol.
"We've added one of the best goalscorers in MLS history," said MNUFC Head Coach Adrian Heath. "Given our current situation dealing with injuries we knew we had to make a move and we feel we have added another really important piece to our already potent attacking core. Every team we play now will know they have to contend with one of the best aerial threats in league history. We've been very dangerous on set pieces already this season and with the addition of Kei we are now even more dangerous. Kei has loads of experience and will no doubt be a benefit to this roster both on the field and in the locker room."
Kamara joins the Loons after 20 months with the Colorado Rapids, who acquired him via trade after being selected by FC Cincinnati in the 2018 MLS Expansion Draft from Vancouver Whitecaps. The 14-year MLS veteran has played with several clubs across MLS, making an impact at every club. He is one of only 10 players to have scored 100 goals in MLS history, achieving the landmark in 300 appearances. To date, he has 352 game appearances, 129 goals, 46 assists across 26,659 minutes played. In 2019, Kamara scored his second hat-trick of his professional career in a 6-3 Colorado win over Montreal Impact.
Kamara's professional career began when he was drafted ninth overall by Columbus Crew SC in the 2006 MLS SuperDraft. After three seasons playing with Columbus, San Jose Earthquakes and Houston Dynamo, Kamara was traded to Sporting Kansas City in 2009 where he spent four seasons, becoming one of the most imposing wingers in the league. During the winter 2013 transfer window, he was loaned to Norwich City of the English Premier League but was signed to a two-year contract by Middleborough of the Championship. Kamara returned to MLS in 2014, joining current Loon Ethan Finlay on Columbus Crew SC, where he played an integral role in the Crew's 2015 MLS Cup Final run, eventually falling 2-1 to Portland Timbers. Since returning to MLS in 2014, Kamara has played with the Crew, New England Revolution, Vancouver Whitecaps and Colorado Rapids.
Internationally, Kamara made 25 appearances for the Sierra Leone national team since his debut in 2010 during the 2010 FIFA World Cup qualifiers, scoring five goals and also serving as captain. In 2019, Kamara retired from international duty.
Transaction: Minnesota United acquire forward Kei Kamara via trade from Colorado Rapids for a second round draft pick in the 2022 MLS SuperDraft and $150,000 in 2021 General Allocation Money (GAM).
Born: 09.01.1984 (36 years old)
Weight: 190 lbs.
Hometown: Kenema, Sierra Leone
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 19, 2020
- Rapids Shock Hot Galaxy with 2-0 Win - Colorado Rapids
- Dynamo Rally for 2-2 Draw with Minnesota United FC - Houston Dynamo
- Chicago Fire FC Falls 4-1 to Orlando City SC at Exploria Stadium - Chicago Fire
- MNUFC Earn Point on the Road in Houston - Minnesota United FC
- Medunjanin's late game-winner propels FCC in win - FC Cincinnati
- Nashville SC's Unbeaten Run Comes to An End against First-Place Columbus Crew SC - Nashville SC
- D.C. United Draw 2-2 against Toronto FC at Audi Field - D.C. United
- Toronto FC (2) - D.C. United (2) Post Match Summary - Toronto FC
- Four Lions Find the Back of the Net in 4-1 Win over Chicago - Orlando City SC
- Atlanta United Falls to Inter Miami CF 2-1 - Atlanta United FC
- Medunjanin's Olimpico Leads FC Cincinnati Past New York, 1-0 - New York Red Bulls
- Inter Miami CF Defeats Atlanta United FC 1-2 at Mercedes-Benz Stadium - Inter Miami CF
- Johnny Russell Scores Twice in 3-2 Loss - Sporting Kansas City
- Notes & Quotes: New England Revolution 0 - 0 New York City FC - New York City FC
- Revolution and New York City FC Play to 0-0 Draw - New England Revolution
- FC Dallas Defeats Sporting Kansas City 3-2 at Children's Mercy Park - FC Dallas
- Colorado Rapids Sign Decorated Defender Steven Beitashour to a One-Year Contract - Colorado Rapids
- Colorado Rapids Trade Kei Kamara to Minnesota United FC for $150,000 in GAM - Colorado Rapids
- MNUFC Acquire Forward Kei Kamara from Colorado Rapids - Minnesota United FC
- Timbers Face San Jose Earthquakes in Road Match Tonight - Portland Timbers
- Wednesday's Revolution Match vs. Montreal Impact Moved to 5:00 p.m. - New England Revolution
- Wednesday's Game against New England Moved Earlier to 5pm - Montreal Impact
- Earthquakes Take on Portland Timbers Tonight - San Jose Earthquakes
- Whitecaps FC Acquire $400,000 in MLS Allocation Money from D.C. United for Yordy Reyna - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- D.C. United Acquire Yordy Reyna from the Vancouver Whitecaps - D.C. United
- Columbus Crew SC Hosts Nashville SC Tonight - Columbus Crew SC
- Sounders FC Jumps into First Place in Western Conference with 3-0 Win over LAFC - Seattle Sounders FC
- LAFC Loses 2-0 to Seattle Sounders on the Road - Los Angeles FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Minnesota United FC Stories
- Loons Head to Sporting Kansas City December 2 for Conference Semifinals
- Loons Win First MLS Playoff Game
- Minnesota United FC vs. Colorado Rapids Preview
- Loons Host Colorado Rapids in Round One of 2020 Playoffs
- MNUFC Midfielder Kevin Molino Voted MLS Player of the Week