FC Dallas Defeats Sporting Kansas City 3-2 at Children's Mercy Park
Kansas City, Kansas - FC Dallas (5-2-4) outlasts Sporting Kansas City (6-4-2) 3-2 to move into third place in the Western Conference.
4' - FafÃ Picault beats Kansas City's defense on the wing and fires a left-footed shot inside the box that is instantly saved by Kansas City's Tim Melia.
13' - Franco Jara's header is saved by Melia after Bryan Reynolds' cross is met by Jara inside the box.
27' - Matt Hedges' header following a corner kick goes a few inches above the Sporting Kansas City goal.
42' - Franco Jara scores the first goal of the match for FC Dallas after a cross from Johnny Nelson is met by Jara who heads it past Melia.
48' - Franco Jara scores his second goal of the match for FC Dallas after managing to strike the ball past Melia who couldn't keep it out.
53' - Johnny Russell pulls one back for Sporting Kansas City after a shot from the center of the box bounces off the left post and past Jimmy Maurer.
74' - Michael Barrios tried to poke the ball past Tim Melia but the goalkeeper cleared it out.
84' - Johnny Russell levels the match for Sporting Kansas City after heading in a set piece cross from Gianluca Busio.
87' - Ryan Hollingshead scores his first goal of the match to give FC Dallas the lead again by slotting it to the right of Tim Melia's goal.
FC Dallas - Jimmy Maurer; Johnny Nelson, Reto Ziegler, Matt Hedges, Bryan Reynolds; Tanner Tessmann, Thiago Santos, Brandon Servania (Bryan Acosta - 56'); Santiago Mosquera (Michael Barrios - 56'), Franco Jara (Bressan - 73'), Fafa Picault (Ryan Hollingshead - 65').
Substitutes not used - Phelipe, JesÃºs Ferreira, Andrés Ricaurte, Ricardo Pepi, Dante Sealy.
Sporting Kansas City - Tim Melia; Luis Martins (Amadou Dia - 48'), Matt Besler, Roberto Puncec, Graham Zusi; Gadi Kinda, Gianluca Busio, Felipe Hernandez; Gerso (Ilie SÃ¡nchez - 46'), Khiry Shelton, Johnny Russell.
Substitutes not used - John Pulskamp, Andreu FontÃ s, Graham Smith, Jaylin Lindsey, Cameron Duke, Wan Kuzain, Erik Hurtado.
FCD: Franco Jara (Johnny Nelson) - 42'
FCD: Franco Jara - 48'
SKC: Johnny Russell - 53'
SKC: Johnny Russell (Gianluca Busio) - 83'
FCD: Ryan Hollingshead - 86'
SKC: Gianluca Busio (caution) - 11'
FCD: Franco Jara (caution) - 73'
FCD: Michael Barrios (caution) - 75'
FCD: Bryan Acosta (caution) - 75'
SKC: Johnny Russell (caution) - 80'
FCD: Bressan (caution) - 82'
FCD: Bryan Acosta (ejection) - 90'
FCD: Thiago Santos (caution) - 90'
Weather: Sunny, 69
Referee: Alex Chilowicz
Assistant Referees: Peter Manikowski, Peter Balciunas
4th Official: Fotis Bazakos
VAR Official: Allen Chapman
FC Dallas head coach Luchi Gonzalez
General thoughts on the win
We just talked with the boys, very proud of the group to defend each other and protect each other. You saw the emotions and the passion there. It was heated but that's part of football sometimes and you can have all the tactics you want, but the energy you put out there and response and sacrificing for each other is just as important. I felt that from the group and I'm really proud of them. We were hungry to get a third in a row to continue the momentum. Credit to Kansas City who always make it difficult here, pushing the game and turning around a 2-0 lead to a 2-2. But our guys didn't give up and we believed that we could still push the game. We were able to expose them with space in behind and a great play and run from Mikey (Barrios) and a great support by Ryan (Hollingshead) to score the winner. They're two players that came off the bench and that shows you that we're a team that can start with warriors and end with warriors, so I'm proud of them. Now we have to patch the wounds quickly and regenerate and be ready for another game in three days. That's the type of schedule we have right now and we need the whole team to do that.
On the goalkeeper situation...
Well Kyle (Zobeck) picked up an injury to his quad the last game, so he wasn't cleared medically to be here. And Jimmy (Maurer) was injured here two and a half weeks ago and Kyle came in to do a noble job for Jimmy and now Jimmy does a noble job for Kyle tonight. And that's what we're always ready to do with our roster. So I'm proud of all our goalkeepers and our goalkeeping coach Drew (Keeshan) to manage that.
On the tactical shift to five players at the back...
We did it around the 74th minute or so, so slightly earlier than normal but we felt there were some overloads wide that we felt we had to handle and take care of. At the end of the day, they didn't score in the run of play, they scored on two set pieces. So I thought tactically we made some good adjustments. It's never going to be perfect but it ended up going our way because of the energy and belief the players had; no matter the formation.
FC Dallas forward Franco Jara
On what Luchi is demanding from him...
My idea when I first arrived was to adapt to the team's play style, but Luchi told me to relax and do what I already know but defend a little more than the normal. Step by step we are working on that and it's all about the team efforts, as well, to make it all work.
On the rotation of the front three...
Whoever comes in starting on the wings, we try and do our job. Every player has their own characteristics and traits. But I am a nine and I have to adapt to each and every one of them. I am starting to get a better understanding of Mikey (Barrios), Fafa (Picault), Santi (Mosquera) , and Andres Ricaurte. They are all players that bring a lot to the team. Like I said, it's about the whole team being on the same page to be more dynamic and having more chances at goal. The most important thing after getting three points is earning that confidence to keep on going forward.
FC Dallas midfielder Ryan Hollingshead
On playing as a winger today...
I came on as a winger today, we tried to put a lot of pressure and counter attack them as much as possible. Mikey (Barrios) was up high and I was on one side. On that goal it was a give away by them, Mikey was on goal and I was trying to get ready for any rebounds. As I saw him cut out against the goalie I saw the ball pop out to me and it was a classic Hollingshead goal. Feels good to get the first one for sure.
On coming on from the bench...
Vocally trying to keep that energy high. There was a different role for me today coming off the bench. I wasn't coming expecting to play, but when my name was called I was ready to come in and lift the spirits and keep that energy high. I wanted to make sure to these guys we have 20 minutes left to close the game out and let's get out of here with three points. No better feeling than taking three points on the road against Sporting Kansas City.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 19, 2020
- Rapids Shock Hot Galaxy with 2-0 Win - Colorado Rapids
- Dynamo Rally for 2-2 Draw with Minnesota United FC - Houston Dynamo
- Chicago Fire FC Falls 4-1 to Orlando City SC at Exploria Stadium - Chicago Fire
- MNUFC Earn Point on the Road in Houston - Minnesota United FC
- Medunjanin's late game-winner propels FCC in win - FC Cincinnati
- Nashville SC's Unbeaten Run Comes to An End against First-Place Columbus Crew SC - Nashville SC
- D.C. United Draw 2-2 against Toronto FC at Audi Field - D.C. United
- Toronto FC (2) - D.C. United (2) Post Match Summary - Toronto FC
- Four Lions Find the Back of the Net in 4-1 Win over Chicago - Orlando City SC
- Atlanta United Falls to Inter Miami CF 2-1 - Atlanta United FC
- Medunjanin's Olimpico Leads FC Cincinnati Past New York, 1-0 - New York Red Bulls
- Inter Miami CF Defeats Atlanta United FC 1-2 at Mercedes-Benz Stadium - Inter Miami CF
- Johnny Russell Scores Twice in 3-2 Loss - Sporting Kansas City
- Notes & Quotes: New England Revolution 0 - 0 New York City FC - New York City FC
- Revolution and New York City FC Play to 0-0 Draw - New England Revolution
- FC Dallas Defeats Sporting Kansas City 3-2 at Children's Mercy Park - FC Dallas
- Colorado Rapids Sign Decorated Defender Steven Beitashour to a One-Year Contract - Colorado Rapids
- Colorado Rapids Trade Kei Kamara to Minnesota United FC for $150,000 in GAM - Colorado Rapids
- MNUFC Acquire Forward Kei Kamara from Colorado Rapids - Minnesota United FC
- Timbers Face San Jose Earthquakes in Road Match Tonight - Portland Timbers
- Wednesday's Revolution Match vs. Montreal Impact Moved to 5:00 p.m. - New England Revolution
- Wednesday's Game against New England Moved Earlier to 5pm - Montreal Impact
- Earthquakes Take on Portland Timbers Tonight - San Jose Earthquakes
- Whitecaps FC Acquire $400,000 in MLS Allocation Money from D.C. United for Yordy Reyna - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- D.C. United Acquire Yordy Reyna from the Vancouver Whitecaps - D.C. United
- Columbus Crew SC Hosts Nashville SC Tonight - Columbus Crew SC
- Sounders FC Jumps into First Place in Western Conference with 3-0 Win over LAFC - Seattle Sounders FC
- LAFC Loses 2-0 to Seattle Sounders on the Road - Los Angeles FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.