Sounders FC Jumps into First Place in Western Conference with 3-0 Win over LAFC
Nico Lodeiro of Seattle Sounders FC takes a penalty kick vs. LAFC
(Seattle Sounders FC, Credit: Lindsey Wasson / Sounders FC Communications)
SEATTLE, WASH. - NicolÃ¡s Lodeiro scored a brace and RaÃºl RuidÃaz added another as Sounders FC (6-2-3, 21 points) earned a 3-0 home win over Los Angeles FC (4-5-3, 15 points) on Friday evening at CenturyLink Field. The win vaults Seattle to first place in the Western Conference with 21 points, one point ahead of Sporting Kansas City. Brian Schmetzer's side returns to action on Wednesday, September 23 against the Portland Timbers at Providence Park (7:00 p.m. PT / JOEtv, Amazon Prime Video, 950 KJR AM, El Rey 1360 AM).
Lodeiro put Seattle up 2-0 in the first half with a pair of penalties in the 29th and 34th minutes, following fouls inside the area by Dejan Jakovic and Latif Blessing, respectively. Lodeiro now has four goals on the season, all from the penalty spot, making him 14-14 career in MLS regular season play.
RuidÃaz made it 3-0 in the 82nd minute with his team-leading eighth goal of the season. The Peruvian got on the end of a João Paulo through ball into the area and smashed a right-footed shot past LAFC goalkeeper Pablo Sisniega. RuidÃaz is tied for second in the MLS Golden Boot race, two goals behind LAFC's Diego Rossi.
With penalty kick goals scored four minutes apart in the 29th and 33rd minutes of play, club captain Nico Lodeiro recorded his third and fourth goals of 2020. Since signing with Sounders FC in the summer transfer window of 2016, Lodeiro has 29 regular-season goals for the Rave Green. Of those tallies, 14 have come from the penalty spot.
Lodeiro has never missed a penalty for Sounders FC in the regular season. Since 2016, the Uruguayan playmaker is 14 for 14 from the spot.
Lodeiro's two penalties came four minutes and five seconds apart, the quickest a team has scored two penalties in a league match since Houston Dynamo vs. Real Salt Lake on April 1, 2010 (two minutes and 19 seconds).
Tonight's goals for Lodeiro move him into sole possession of fifth on the club's all-time regular-season scoring list (30), jumping ahead of RaÃºl RuidÃaz (29) and Lamar Neagle (28). Lodeiro is now one goal behind Jordan Morris (31) on this list.
RaÃºl RuidÃaz scored the match's final goal, giving him eight goals on the year and 29 in regular-season play since the summer of 2018. So far in 2020, the Peruvian is tied for second in the MLS Golden Boot race with Columbus' Gyasi Zardes, trailing LAFC forward Diego Rossi by two goals.
João Paulo earned an assist on RuidÃaz's goal, his third of the year in eight regular-season games.
Sounders FC moves to 3-4-1 all-time against LAFC in all competitions (including postseason play). The win marks the second Seattle victory since play resumed following the MLS is Back Tournament, with the Rave Green recording a 3-1 win over LAFC on August 30. That match was also played inside CenturyLink Field.
Since returning to regular-season play following the MLS is Back Tournament, Seattle has played seven matches, all against Western Conference opposition. In those games, Seattle has scored 19 goals and conceded six.
Following tonight's two-goal performance and a seven-goal outburst versus San Jose on September 10, Seattle now has the top goal difference in Major League Soccer (+17). The club also holds the league's best-performing attack (26 goals scored).
Goalkeeper Stefan Frei and his backline earned their fourth shutout of 2020. For Frei, it was his 80th career regular-season clean sheet dating back to his rookie year with Toronto FC in 2009.
Following tonight's result, Seattle jumps back to the top spot in the Western Conference, one point ahead of Sporting Kansas City and three points ahead of third-place Minnesota United.
Seattle Sounders FC 3 - Los Angeles FC 0
Friday, September 18, 2020
Venue: CenturyLink Field
Referee: Joseph Dickerson
Assistants: Cameron Blanchard, Mike Rottersman
Fourth Official: Brad Jensen
VAR: Timothy Ford
Attendance: Closed Door
Weather: 64 degrees and light rain
SEA - NicolÃ¡s Lodeiro (penalty) 29'
SEA - NicolÃ¡s Lodeiro (penalty) 33'
SEA - RaÃºl RuidÃaz (João Paulo) 82'
LAFC - Jose Cifuentes (caution) 54'
SEA - Xavier Arreaga (caution) 63'
SEA - NicolÃ¡s Lodeiro (caution) 71'
SEA - Yeimar GÃ³mez Andrade (caution) 84'
LAFC - Andy Najar (caution) 90'+4'
LINEUPS & STATS
Seattle Sounders FC - Stefan Frei; Kelvin Leerdam (Miguel Ibarra 88'), Yeimar GÃ³mez Andrade, Xavier Arreaga, Nouhou; Cristian Roldan, João Paulo, Joevin Jones (Alex Roldan 71'), NicolÃ¡s Lodeiro, Jordan Morris (Shane O'Neill 87'); RaÃºl RuidÃaz (Will Bruin 90')
Substitutes not used: Trey Muse, Stefan Cleveland, Handwalla Bwana, Josh Atencio
Total shots: 11 (Lodeiro/RuidÃaz, 3)
Shots on goal: 7 (Lodeiro, 3)
Fouls: 14 (GÃ³mez Andrade, 3)
Corner-kicks: 5 (Lodeiro, 5)
Saves: 2 (Frei, 2)
Los Angeles FC - Pablo Sisniega; Latif Blessing, Dejan Jakovic, Eddie Segura, Diego Palacios; Francisco Ginella (Eduard Atuesta HT), Jose Cifuentes (Danny Mosovski 69'), Mark-Anthony Kaye; Brian Rodriguez (Adrien Perez 69'), Bradley Wright-Phillips (Andy Najar HT), Diego Rossi (Christian Torres 87')
Substitutes not used: Kenneth Vermeer, Jordan Harvey, Mohamed El-Munir, Bryce Duke
Total shots: 11 (Rossi, 3)
Shots on goal: 2 (Rodriguez/Rossi, 1)
Fouls: 16 (Blessing, 5)
Offside: 3 (Three players, 1)
Corner-kicks: 6 (Rodriguez, 3)
Saves: 4 (Sisniega, 4)
Images from this story
Nico Lodeiro of Seattle Sounders FC takes a penalty kick vs. LAFC
(Lindsey Wasson / Sounders FC Communications)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 19, 2020
- Rapids Shock Hot Galaxy with 2-0 Win - Colorado Rapids
- Dynamo Rally for 2-2 Draw with Minnesota United FC - Houston Dynamo
- Chicago Fire FC Falls 4-1 to Orlando City SC at Exploria Stadium - Chicago Fire
- MNUFC Earn Point on the Road in Houston - Minnesota United FC
- Medunjanin's late game-winner propels FCC in win - FC Cincinnati
- Nashville SC's Unbeaten Run Comes to An End against First-Place Columbus Crew SC - Nashville SC
- D.C. United Draw 2-2 against Toronto FC at Audi Field - D.C. United
- Toronto FC (2) - D.C. United (2) Post Match Summary - Toronto FC
- Four Lions Find the Back of the Net in 4-1 Win over Chicago - Orlando City SC
- Atlanta United Falls to Inter Miami CF 2-1 - Atlanta United FC
- Medunjanin's Olimpico Leads FC Cincinnati Past New York, 1-0 - New York Red Bulls
- Inter Miami CF Defeats Atlanta United FC 1-2 at Mercedes-Benz Stadium - Inter Miami CF
- Johnny Russell Scores Twice in 3-2 Loss - Sporting Kansas City
- Notes & Quotes: New England Revolution 0 - 0 New York City FC - New York City FC
- Revolution and New York City FC Play to 0-0 Draw - New England Revolution
- FC Dallas Defeats Sporting Kansas City 3-2 at Children's Mercy Park - FC Dallas
- Colorado Rapids Sign Decorated Defender Steven Beitashour to a One-Year Contract - Colorado Rapids
- Colorado Rapids Trade Kei Kamara to Minnesota United FC for $150,000 in GAM - Colorado Rapids
- MNUFC Acquire Forward Kei Kamara from Colorado Rapids - Minnesota United FC
- Timbers Face San Jose Earthquakes in Road Match Tonight - Portland Timbers
- Wednesday's Revolution Match vs. Montreal Impact Moved to 5:00 p.m. - New England Revolution
- Wednesday's Game against New England Moved Earlier to 5pm - Montreal Impact
- Earthquakes Take on Portland Timbers Tonight - San Jose Earthquakes
- Whitecaps FC Acquire $400,000 in MLS Allocation Money from D.C. United for Yordy Reyna - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- D.C. United Acquire Yordy Reyna from the Vancouver Whitecaps - D.C. United
- Columbus Crew SC Hosts Nashville SC Tonight - Columbus Crew SC
- Sounders FC Jumps into First Place in Western Conference with 3-0 Win over LAFC - Seattle Sounders FC
- LAFC Loses 2-0 to Seattle Sounders on the Road - Los Angeles FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Seattle Sounders FC Stories
- Will Bruin Stoppage Time Goal Snatches Point for Sounders FC over Timbers
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs Portland Timbers - October 22, 2020
- Sounders FC Trade Handwalla Bwana to Nashville SC for Jimmy Medranda
- Sounders FC and San Jose Earthquakes Play to Gritty Stalemate in Northern California
- Game Notes: Sounders FC at San Jose Earthquakes - October 18, 2020