Medunjanin's Olimpico Leads FC Cincinnati Past New York, 1-0
Midfielder Haris Medunjanin hits an Olimpico in the 85th minute to propel FC Cincinnati (3-6-3, 12 pts) past the New York Red Bulls (4-6-2, 14 pts), 1-0 on Saturday night at Red Bull Arena.
Ghanian forward Samuel Tetteh made his MLS debut as a substitute in the 79th minute for Brian White.
Despite the loss, New York remains above the playoff line in eighth place and just three points out of fifth.
New York's three-straight home losses is the first time in Red Bull Arena history and the first time since 2000.
New York is 44-48-20 all-time in the month of September. New York has scored 163 goals in the ninth month of the year and allowed 178.
New York travels to Florida for a mid-week match with Inter Miami CF on Wednesday. Kickoff at Inter Miami CF Stadium is set for 8 p.m. with coverage on MSG and New York Red Bulls Radio in English and Spanish.
New York Red Bulls 0, FC Cincinnati 1
2020 MLS Regular-Season Match 12
Saturday - 7 p.m. ET
Red Bull Arena | Harrison, N.J.
CIN - Haris Medunjanin (unassisted) 85'
NY - Aaron Long (yellow, unsporting behavior) 8'
NY - Sean Nealis (yellow, unsporting behavior) 29'
NY - Cristian Casseres Jr. (yellow, unsporting behavior) 55'
CIN - Caleb Stanko (yellow, unsporting behavior) 90'+
New York Red Bulls: David Jensen; Kyle Duncan (Tom Barlow, 87'), Aaron Long, Tim Parker, Sean Nealis (Jared Stroud, 86'), Jason Pendant, Cristian Casseres Jr., Kaku (Omir Fernandez, 79'), Daniel Royer ©, Dru Yearwood (Florian Valot 64'), Brian White (Samuel Tetteh, 79')
Unused Subs: Kendall McIntosh, Amro Tarek, Mandela Egbo, Ben Mines,
TOTAL SHOTS: 10; SHOTS ON GOAL: 2; FOULS: 13; OFFSIDE: 2; CORNER KICKS: 3; SAVES: 3
FC Cincinnati: Spencer Richey; Kendall Waston ©, Tom Pettersson, Nick Hagglund (Maikel van der Werff, 90'+1'), Andrew Gutman, Haris Medunjanin, Yuya Kubo (Allan Cruz, 78'), Frankie Amaya, Jurgen Locadia, Brandon Vazquez (Caleb Stanko, 90'+1'), Joe Gyau
Unused Subs: Bobby Edwards, Greg Garza, Zico Bailey
TOTAL SHOTS: 14; SHOTS ON GOAL: 4; FOULS: 9; OFFSIDE: 2; CORNER KICKS: 5; SAVES: 2
Referee: Robert Sibiga
Assistant Referees: Adam Garner, Ian McKay
4th Official: Guido Gonzales Jr
VAR: Chris Penso
AVAR: Tom Supple
Attendance: Closed-door match
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 19, 2020
- Rapids Shock Hot Galaxy with 2-0 Win - Colorado Rapids
- Dynamo Rally for 2-2 Draw with Minnesota United FC - Houston Dynamo
- Chicago Fire FC Falls 4-1 to Orlando City SC at Exploria Stadium - Chicago Fire
- MNUFC Earn Point on the Road in Houston - Minnesota United FC
- Medunjanin's late game-winner propels FCC in win - FC Cincinnati
- Nashville SC's Unbeaten Run Comes to An End against First-Place Columbus Crew SC - Nashville SC
- D.C. United Draw 2-2 against Toronto FC at Audi Field - D.C. United
- Toronto FC (2) - D.C. United (2) Post Match Summary - Toronto FC
- Four Lions Find the Back of the Net in 4-1 Win over Chicago - Orlando City SC
- Atlanta United Falls to Inter Miami CF 2-1 - Atlanta United FC
- Medunjanin's Olimpico Leads FC Cincinnati Past New York, 1-0 - New York Red Bulls
- Inter Miami CF Defeats Atlanta United FC 1-2 at Mercedes-Benz Stadium - Inter Miami CF
- Johnny Russell Scores Twice in 3-2 Loss - Sporting Kansas City
- Notes & Quotes: New England Revolution 0 - 0 New York City FC - New York City FC
- Revolution and New York City FC Play to 0-0 Draw - New England Revolution
- FC Dallas Defeats Sporting Kansas City 3-2 at Children's Mercy Park - FC Dallas
- Colorado Rapids Sign Decorated Defender Steven Beitashour to a One-Year Contract - Colorado Rapids
- Colorado Rapids Trade Kei Kamara to Minnesota United FC for $150,000 in GAM - Colorado Rapids
- MNUFC Acquire Forward Kei Kamara from Colorado Rapids - Minnesota United FC
- Timbers Face San Jose Earthquakes in Road Match Tonight - Portland Timbers
- Wednesday's Revolution Match vs. Montreal Impact Moved to 5:00 p.m. - New England Revolution
- Wednesday's Game against New England Moved Earlier to 5pm - Montreal Impact
- Earthquakes Take on Portland Timbers Tonight - San Jose Earthquakes
- Whitecaps FC Acquire $400,000 in MLS Allocation Money from D.C. United for Yordy Reyna - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- D.C. United Acquire Yordy Reyna from the Vancouver Whitecaps - D.C. United
- Columbus Crew SC Hosts Nashville SC Tonight - Columbus Crew SC
- Sounders FC Jumps into First Place in Western Conference with 3-0 Win over LAFC - Seattle Sounders FC
- LAFC Loses 2-0 to Seattle Sounders on the Road - Los Angeles FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- Red Bulls Knocked out of MLS Cup Playoffs; Fall to Columbus, 3-2
- New York Travels to Columbus for Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs Round One Matchup
- New York Red Bulls Players and Pediatric Patients Virtually Design Posters to Mark Five-Year Anniversary of Tackle Kids Cancer
- New York Red Bulls to Face Columbus Crew SC in 2020 Audi MLS Cup Playoffs
- Red Bulls Defeat Toronto, 2-1; Clinch 6th Seed in East