Cougars Take Series Finale from Bees in 5-4 Comeback
After winning five of their nine victories by coming from behind, the Bees saw the other side of the coin on get away day Wednesday. Kane County came back with three runs in the bottom of the ninth to beat Burlington 5-4, and salvage one game from the three- game set.
Bees pitching was on cruise control from the second inning on, giving up just one hit and two walks from the second through the eighth. Mayky Perez, who had not allowed a run in his previous three appearances, threw the eighth in relief and opened the ninth with a chance for his second save. He induced a groundout, then walked the next two batters. He then gave up a single to load the bases.
Burlington went to the bullpen again, bringing in Ben Morrison. Morrison had allowed no runs, and just one hit in his previous four appearances. He could not save this one however, giving up a two- run double to tie it, and a game-winning RBI single. Cougars walk it off. Perez, responsible for all three runners who scored, took the loss.
Infielder Livan Soto and Outfielder Francisco De Valle had big days at the plate for Burlington. Soto was 4-5 with and RBI and a stolen base, spraying two singles to center, one to right and one to left. Del Valle had two doubles on a 3-4 day, with an RBI and a run scored.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from April 18, 2019
- Snappers fall to Kernels in Series Opener - Beloit Snappers
- Benson's Four Home Run Game Captains Lake County to 12-6 Win over Cubs - South Bend Cubs
- Banuelos Returns, Sparks Kernels in 8-2 Win - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Four Hour Marathon - Great Lakes Loons
- Rattlers Fall in Extra Innings at Clinton - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Bandits Offense Stymied in 2-0 Series-Opening Loss - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Cougar Pitching Locks Down Bandits - Kane County Cougars
- Gold-En Evening: a Slam, a Cycle, a 12-4 Win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Lansing's Gold Hits for Cycle as Lugnuts Defeat Dragons, 12-4 - Dayton Dragons
- Whitecaps and TinCaps Postponed - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Fort Wayne & West Michigan Postponed by Rain - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lugnuts Reliever Law Promoted, Reliever Rackoski Added - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Game Notes: April 18 vs. West Michigan - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Blake Snell Becomes Hot Rods Third Hall of Famer - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- David Banuelos activated from 7-day Injured List - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Bowling Green Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Cougars Take Series Finale from Bees in 5-4 Comeback - Burlington Bees
- Cougars to Host Inaugural Mental Health Awareness Night on May 10 - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.