Cougar Pitching Locks Down Bandits
Peoria, Illinois - The Kane County Cougars (9-6) notched the second shutout of the 2019 season with a 2-0 win over the Quad Cities River Bandits (7-6) on Thursday night at Dozer Park in Peoria. Franklyn Soriano, Erin Baldwin and Chester Pimentel combined to hold the River Bandits to just three hits.
Due to the Cougars' sharp pitching, the club only needed a pair of runs in the second inning to run away with the game. The bottom two batters in the order provided the spark. Jose Herrera and Jorge Perez singled in back-to-back at-bats to drive in runs and give the Cougars a 2-0 lead.
Franklyn Soriano led the way for the Cougar pitching staff. The left-hander was nearly perfect in his five innings. The only baserunners he allowed were a hit-by-pitch to Cesar Salazar in the second inning and a walk to Scott Schreiber in the fourth. Along with surrendering no hits, Soriano (2-0) struck out four batters and earned the win.
Erin Baldwin's first two innings on the mound were uneventful. However, he worked into trouble in the 8th inning. With one out, Andy Pineda and Trey Dawson collected back-to-back singles. After a pop out, Marty Costes reached on a fielder's choice to load the bases. The was the end of the night for Baldwin. The Cougars called on Chester Pimentel (1), who recorded the final four outs of the game to earn the save.
Nivaldo Rodriguez (1-1) took the loss for the River Bandits. He yielded both Cougar runs and departed after five innings with four strikeouts and one walk.
The Cougars and River Bandits play game two of the three-game series on Friday night. The series is being played at Dozer Park due to flooding to the River Bandits' home ballpark in Davenport, Iowa. Game two is scheduled for 6:35 p.m. Follow the action live with Joe Brand on AM 1280 WBIG or on kccougars.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from April 18, 2019
- Snappers fall to Kernels in Series Opener - Beloit Snappers
- Benson's Four Home Run Game Captains Lake County to 12-6 Win over Cubs - South Bend Cubs
- Banuelos Returns, Sparks Kernels in 8-2 Win - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Four Hour Marathon - Great Lakes Loons
- Rattlers Fall in Extra Innings at Clinton - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Bandits Offense Stymied in 2-0 Series-Opening Loss - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Cougar Pitching Locks Down Bandits - Kane County Cougars
- Gold-En Evening: a Slam, a Cycle, a 12-4 Win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Lansing's Gold Hits for Cycle as Lugnuts Defeat Dragons, 12-4 - Dayton Dragons
- Whitecaps and TinCaps Postponed - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Fort Wayne & West Michigan Postponed by Rain - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lugnuts Reliever Law Promoted, Reliever Rackoski Added - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Game Notes: April 18 vs. West Michigan - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Blake Snell Becomes Hot Rods Third Hall of Famer - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- David Banuelos activated from 7-day Injured List - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Bowling Green Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Cougars Take Series Finale from Bees in 5-4 Comeback - Burlington Bees
- Cougars to Host Inaugural Mental Health Awareness Night on May 10 - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.