Comets Drop Divisional Tilt in Rochester
Rochester, NY - The Utica Comets were provided goals from Nikolay Goldobin and John Stevens, but they were unable to overcome a three-goal deficit as they fell by a 3-2 margin on Sunday at Blue Cross Arena.
The Comets fell behind in the first period as the Amerks generated two goals separated by eight minutes of action. Remi Elie got the scoring started at 2:13 of the game with a spinning shot from the low slot and Eric Cornel added to the advantage at 10:15 of the period with a rebound finish.
Rochester continued to apply pressure in the early stages of the second period and opened their lead to a game-high three goals with Taylor Leier generating his seventh of the season at 1:48 of the frame. Utica found their stride as the period progressed and appeared to take control the rest of the way. They were rewarded with a goal of their own at 12:40 of the action as Sven Baertschi stuck with the action, forced a takeaway, and fed Stevens in front of the goal for a backhand deposit into the net.
Utica maintained its comeback efforts into the third period, getting within a goal by finishing off an excellent display of puck movement in the offensive zone. Dylan Blujus feathered a feed to Jalen Chatfield, who angled a perfect pass to the high slot where Goldobin re-directed it into the top corner of the goal.
It was as close as the Comets got in their comeback attempt, as each of their ensuing opportunities were denied down the stretch.
The Comets return to the ice Friday, February 21 when they battle the Belleville Senators. Puck drop at CAA Arena is at 7 p.m. The game can be heard on 94.9 KROCK and viewed on AHLTV.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 16, 2020
- Condors Fall to San Jose - Bakersfield Condors
- Reign Topple Colorado, 6-3 - Ontario Reign
- Bears Finish Weekend with 5-3 Win over Lehigh Valley - Hershey Bears
- Ontario Scores Three Unanswered to Upend Eagles, 6-3 - Colorado Eagles
- Hershey Holds off Phantoms 5-3 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Coghlan, Wolves Mash Monsters - Chicago Wolves
- Amerks Open Homestand with 3-2 Win over Comets - Rochester Americans
- Monsters Earn Point in 3-2 Overtime Loss to Wolves - Cleveland Monsters
- Rocket Shutout by Bruins 3-0 - Laval Rocket
- Vladar Records Shutout as P-Bruins Defeat Laval Rocket, 3-0 - Providence Bruins
- Comets Drop Divisional Tilt in Rochester - Utica Comets
- Colorado Avalanche Recall Goaltender Hunter Miska - Colorado Eagles
- Devils Trade Greene to Islanders for Pick, Quenneville - Binghamton Devils
- Checkers Fall Flat in Rematch with Springfield - Charlotte Checkers
- Saarela, Hunt Lead T-Birds to Sweep of Checkers - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Lehigh Valley Loans Swavely, Drake, and Knodel to Reading - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Sunday, February 16, 2020 vs. Utica Comets - Rochester Americans
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Phantoms, 5 PM - Hershey Bears
- Blue Jackets Recall Forward Kole Sherwood from Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Currie's Big Night Not Enough in Condors 5-4 Shootout Loss - Bakersfield Condors
- Colorado Storms Back for 5-4 Shootout Win in Bakersfield - Colorado Eagles
- Tucson Battles Back To Take A Point In Stockton Saturday - Tucson Roadrunners
- Special Teams Lead Way in Shootout Win over Tucson - Stockton Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.