Colorado Rapids Sign Defender Danny Wilson to Multi-Year Contract Extension
COMMERCE CITY, Colo. - The Colorado Rapids have signed defender Danny Wilson to a two-year contract extension through the 2024 MLS season with club options for 2025 and 2026, the club announced today.
"Danny has cemented himself as an important piece of our club's defense," said Pádraig Smith, Colorado Rapids Executive VP & General Manager. "His leadership, along with his ability on the ball and reading of the game, have been key parts to the success of our backline in recent years. We're delighted to extend his stay in Burgundy and look forward to seeing his continued contributions for the club."
Wilson originally joined the Rapids ahead of the 2018 season from Scotland's Rangers FC. The 30-year-old center back has made 81 regular season appearances for Colorado, scoring four goals and adding four assists during his four seasons with the club. In 2021, Wilson anchored a backline that conceded the second-fewest goals in the West as the Rapids finished the season atop the conference for the first time in club history.
A native of Livingston, Scotland, Wilson started his career with Rangers in 2009, winning the league title in his debut season. He joined English Premier League side Liverpool FC ahead of the 2010-11 season, making nine appearances during his time with the club, including five in the 2010-11 UEFA Europa League. Wilson also featured for English clubs Blackpool and Bristol City before joining Heart of Midlothian FC (Hearts) in Scotland. He played parts of three seasons for Hearts, scoring nine goals in 85 appearances between 2013 and 2015. Wilson then re-joined Rangers, helping them gain promotion to the Scottish Premiership in 2016.
At the international stage, Wilson has featured five times for Scotland's national team, including a UEFA Euro qualifying match, scoring one goal.
TRANSACTION: Colorado Rapids sign defender Danny Wilson to a two-year contract with club options for the 2025 and 2026 seasons on January 19, 2022.
Birthdate: December 27, 1991
Birthplace: Edinburgh, Scotland
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 19, 2022
- Record and Play: How Charlotte FC Will Benefit from Video Analysis - Charlotte FC
- Sounders FC Hires Andy Rose as Assistant Coach - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy Re-Sign Midfielder Victor Vázquez - LA Galaxy
- Real Salt Lake Re-Signs Homegrown Defender Tate Schmitt - Real Salt Lake
- Earthquakes Sign Goalkeeper Matt Bersano to New Contract - San Jose Earthquakes
- Houston Dynamo FC Announce Ticket Promotions for 2022 Season - Houston Dynamo FC
- Sounders FC Re-Signs Goalkeeper Stefan Cleveland - Seattle Sounders FC
- Houston Dynamo FC and Houston Dash Volunteer at Hope Farms with Recipe for Success on Martin Luther King Jr. Day - Houston Dynamo FC
- Colorado Rapids Acquire Midfielder Bryan Acosta - Colorado Rapids
- Inter Miami CF Re-Signs Defender/Midfielder Brek Shea - Inter Miami CF
- U.S. Soccer Selects Orlando to Host Final Home FIFA World Cup Qualifier of 2022 Cycle - Orlando City SC
- Colorado Rapids Sign Midfielder Jack Price to Multi-Year Contract Extension - Colorado Rapids
- FC Cincinnati Re-Sign Midfielder Haris Medunjanin - FC Cincinnati
- Orlando City Signs Defender Rodrigo Schlegel to New Contract - Orlando City SC
- Colorado Rapids Sign Defender Danny Wilson to Multi-Year Contract Extension - Colorado Rapids
- Real Salt Lake Academy Adds Jon Spencer as Director of Talent Identification - Real Salt Lake
- Charlotte FC Signs Attacking Midfielder Cristian "Titi" Ortíz from Club Tijuana on Loan Through 2022 - Charlotte FC
- Cristian Ortíz Is 'One of the Best Number Tens for Our Specific Game Model' - Charlotte FC
- Colorado Rapids Sign Midfielder Mark-Anthony Kaye to Four-Year Extension - Colorado Rapids
- Colorado Rapids Sign Defender Keegan Rosenberry to Three-Year Contract Extension - Colorado Rapids
- Sorber and Stalteri Join Toronto FC Coaching Staff for 2022 Season - Toronto FC
- MLS 101: What Is a No. 10? Soccer Jersey Numbers Explained - Charlotte FC
- D.C. United Single-Match Tickets for 2022 Major League Soccer Schedule Now On-Sale - D.C. United
- Sporting KC Signs Defender Robert Voloder - Sporting Kansas City
- Ronald Hernández, Josef Martínez Called up to Venezuela National Team Ahead of Upcoming World Cup Qualifiers - Atlanta United FC
- Inter Miami CF Signs Colombian Winger Emerson Rodríguez - Inter Miami CF
- CF Montréal Unveils Preseason Match Calendar - Club de Foot Montreal
- New York City FC Sign Nicholas Benalcazar, Jonathan Jimenez and Samuel Owusu to Homegrown Contracts - New York City FC
- New York City FC Announce Preseason for 2022 Season - New York City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- MLS Reschedules Match Between Colorado Rapids and New York Red Bulls
- Rapids Suffer Physical 2-1 Loss to Sporting Kansas City on the Road
- Rapids Back on the Road as They Face Sporting Kansas City on Wednesday
- Keys against Sporting KC: Put on the Pressure
- 'With this Mindset, Nobody Can Stop Us': a Look Inside the Rapids' Unprecedented Two Games in 48 Hours