Houston Dynamo FC and Houston Dash Volunteer at Hope Farms with Recipe for Success on Martin Luther King Jr. Day
Several members of the Houston Dynamo FC and Houston Dash organization spent the morning of Martin Luther King Jr. Day volunteering with A Recipe for Success at Hope Farms, an organization that aims to eliminate food insecurity and provide fresh and healthy food to underserved communities that are considered food deserts.
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was a Civil Rights activist and Nobel Peace Prize winner who worked to put an end to racial injustice and segregation during the Civil Rights Movement. Dr. King emphasized that service to one another would help everyone achieve the collective mission to making the world a equal and just place for everyone. In 1983, MLK Day was established in honor of Dr. King's legacy and is the only federal holiday designated as a National Day of Service to encourage all Americans to volunteer to improve their communities.
Dash defender Megan Montefusco (formerly Oyster) said she was thankful to spend her morning with several other volunteers on MLK Day.
"It's great to see not only Dash players and staff out here but also out here for the same purpose. Which is to make the community better, and also honor Martin Luther King, who left an incredible legacy of service and advocating for injustices," Montefusco said.
From learning about Dr. King's legacy of service to putting those teaching into action, Dash goalkeeper Lindsey Harris said she's grateful for the opportunity to serve the Houston community.
"It's nice to learn more about MLK Day and what this organization is developing at Hope Farms," Harris said. "It's been good to be out here working bright and early."
Located near Houston Sports Park and the Sunnyside neighborhood in southeast Houston, Hope Farms grows fresh, affordable produce in the midst of a Houston "food desert" while training and providing small-business incubation, co-op services and workforce readiness for U.S. Veterans and others, preparing them to be urban agri-preneurs.
The seven-acre farm is also a healthy gathering place, offering regular cooking and gardening classes for children and adults, weekly produce deliveries to subscribers, weekly onsite markets, pop-up produce markets in the community and public events that celebrate local food and the power of shared meals to build community.
Dash midfielder Shea Groom said spending the morning working at Hope Farms is a helpful reminder of all the hard work and care that goes into growing vegetables. Groom said she also believes that organizations like Hope Farms are crucial to the Houston community.
Gracie Cavnar, Chairman & CEO of Recipe for Success and Hope Farms, said having a few players and staff from the Houston Dash and Dynamo volunteer to help them with their mission motivates them to keep fighting to end food insecurity and racial inequities while also helping the community gain access to healthy food options.
"As avid fans, it was a thrill to have the Houston Dash and Dynamo organization out to Hope Farms for our MLK Day of Service, in honor of Martin Luther King, Jr. and all that he stood for. For those of us who work every day in the space of addressing racial inequities-like access to affordable healthy food, it fills our hearts and reenergizes us to know that others share our view of its importance," Cavnar said. "Having some of our favorite players on site added a fun note of celebrity for our team and other volunteers, but it was most important to learn that they were with us because of a shared passion for our work to teach, empower and inspire healthy eating. We look forward to having them back soon."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 19, 2022
- Record and Play: How Charlotte FC Will Benefit from Video Analysis - Charlotte FC
- Sounders FC Hires Andy Rose as Assistant Coach - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy Re-Sign Midfielder Victor Vázquez - LA Galaxy
- Real Salt Lake Re-Signs Homegrown Defender Tate Schmitt - Real Salt Lake
- Earthquakes Sign Goalkeeper Matt Bersano to New Contract - San Jose Earthquakes
- Houston Dynamo FC Announce Ticket Promotions for 2022 Season - Houston Dynamo FC
- Sounders FC Re-Signs Goalkeeper Stefan Cleveland - Seattle Sounders FC
- Houston Dynamo FC and Houston Dash Volunteer at Hope Farms with Recipe for Success on Martin Luther King Jr. Day - Houston Dynamo FC
- Colorado Rapids Acquire Midfielder Bryan Acosta - Colorado Rapids
- Inter Miami CF Re-Signs Defender/Midfielder Brek Shea - Inter Miami CF
- U.S. Soccer Selects Orlando to Host Final Home FIFA World Cup Qualifier of 2022 Cycle - Orlando City SC
- Colorado Rapids Sign Midfielder Jack Price to Multi-Year Contract Extension - Colorado Rapids
- FC Cincinnati Re-Sign Midfielder Haris Medunjanin - FC Cincinnati
- Orlando City Signs Defender Rodrigo Schlegel to New Contract - Orlando City SC
- Colorado Rapids Sign Defender Danny Wilson to Multi-Year Contract Extension - Colorado Rapids
- Real Salt Lake Academy Adds Jon Spencer as Director of Talent Identification - Real Salt Lake
- Charlotte FC Signs Attacking Midfielder Cristian "Titi" Ortíz from Club Tijuana on Loan Through 2022 - Charlotte FC
- Cristian Ortíz Is 'One of the Best Number Tens for Our Specific Game Model' - Charlotte FC
- Colorado Rapids Sign Midfielder Mark-Anthony Kaye to Four-Year Extension - Colorado Rapids
- Colorado Rapids Sign Defender Keegan Rosenberry to Three-Year Contract Extension - Colorado Rapids
- Sorber and Stalteri Join Toronto FC Coaching Staff for 2022 Season - Toronto FC
- MLS 101: What Is a No. 10? Soccer Jersey Numbers Explained - Charlotte FC
- D.C. United Single-Match Tickets for 2022 Major League Soccer Schedule Now On-Sale - D.C. United
- Sporting KC Signs Defender Robert Voloder - Sporting Kansas City
- Ronald Hernández, Josef Martínez Called up to Venezuela National Team Ahead of Upcoming World Cup Qualifiers - Atlanta United FC
- Inter Miami CF Signs Colombian Winger Emerson Rodríguez - Inter Miami CF
- CF Montréal Unveils Preseason Match Calendar - Club de Foot Montreal
- New York City FC Sign Nicholas Benalcazar, Jonathan Jimenez and Samuel Owusu to Homegrown Contracts - New York City FC
- New York City FC Announce Preseason for 2022 Season - New York City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dynamo FC Stories
- Houston Dynamo FC Close Homestand against Concacaf Champions
- 10-Man Dynamo Defeat Nashville SC 2-0 at PNC Stadium
- Dynamo, Dash and D2 Tackle Three-Game Slate on Saturday
- Houston Dynamo FC Travel to Kansas City for Round of 16 in the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup
- Houston Dynamo FC Advance to the Round of 16 in the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup