Colorado Rapids Sign Midfielder Mark-Anthony Kaye to Four-Year Extension
COMMERCE CITY, Colo. - The Colorado Rapids have signed midfielder Mark-Anthony Kaye to a four-year contract extension through the 2025 Major League Soccer season with a club option for an additional year, the club announced today.
"Mark has been one of the top central midfielders in MLS since he first joined the league and has continued to demonstrate his quality during his time with us," said Pádraig Smith, Colorado Rapids Executive VP & General Manager. "We're delighted to secure his future in Burgundy and are excited to see the heights he can help the club reach in the coming years."
Kaye originally joined the Rapids midway through the 2021 season in a blockbuster trade from Los Angeles Football Club in exchange for $1 million in General Allocation Money. Kaye started 14 of his 15 appearances and scored one goal-a game-winning header against Rocky Mountain Cup rivals Real Salt Lake on Aug. 21-and added two assists with the Rapids this season.
Prior to his arrival in Colorado, Kaye was a dominant midfielder during his four seasons with LAFC. He was named an MLS All-Star in 2019 when he posted four goals and eight assists in 31 appearances to help LAFC capture the Supporters' Shield and was instrumental as the Black & Gold reached the 2020 Concacaf Champions League Final. He has 10 goals and 20 assists in 92 appearances since joining MLS in 2018.
A native of Toronto, Canada, Kaye has been a key contributor to the Canadian men's national team. The 27-year-old started four of his six appearances in the final round of FIFA World Cup Qualifying, a run that has his home nation stay undefeated and sit atop the Concacaf qualifying table. Overall, Kaye has two goals and seven assists in 30 career senior international caps. He was named Canada Soccer Player of the Month in July 2019 and was a finalist for the federation's 2019 Male Player of the Year.
Prior to joining MLS, Kaye made a name for himself with Louisville City FC in the USL Championship, helping the club reach the Eastern Conference Final in 2016 before lifting the USL Cup in 2017.
TRANSACTION: Colorado Rapids sign midfielder Mark-Anthony Kaye to a four-year contract extension through the end of the 2025 MLS season with a club option for an additional year on January 19, 2022.
Position: MidfielderHeight: 6-1Weight: 170
Birthdate: Dec. 2, 1994
Birthplace: Toronto, Canada
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 19, 2022
- Record and Play: How Charlotte FC Will Benefit from Video Analysis - Charlotte FC
- Sounders FC Hires Andy Rose as Assistant Coach - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy Re-Sign Midfielder Victor Vázquez - LA Galaxy
- Real Salt Lake Re-Signs Homegrown Defender Tate Schmitt - Real Salt Lake
- Earthquakes Sign Goalkeeper Matt Bersano to New Contract - San Jose Earthquakes
- Houston Dynamo FC Announce Ticket Promotions for 2022 Season - Houston Dynamo FC
- Sounders FC Re-Signs Goalkeeper Stefan Cleveland - Seattle Sounders FC
- Houston Dynamo FC and Houston Dash Volunteer at Hope Farms with Recipe for Success on Martin Luther King Jr. Day - Houston Dynamo FC
- Colorado Rapids Acquire Midfielder Bryan Acosta - Colorado Rapids
- Inter Miami CF Re-Signs Defender/Midfielder Brek Shea - Inter Miami CF
- U.S. Soccer Selects Orlando to Host Final Home FIFA World Cup Qualifier of 2022 Cycle - Orlando City SC
- Colorado Rapids Sign Midfielder Jack Price to Multi-Year Contract Extension - Colorado Rapids
- FC Cincinnati Re-Sign Midfielder Haris Medunjanin - FC Cincinnati
- Orlando City Signs Defender Rodrigo Schlegel to New Contract - Orlando City SC
- Colorado Rapids Sign Defender Danny Wilson to Multi-Year Contract Extension - Colorado Rapids
- Real Salt Lake Academy Adds Jon Spencer as Director of Talent Identification - Real Salt Lake
- Charlotte FC Signs Attacking Midfielder Cristian "Titi" Ortíz from Club Tijuana on Loan Through 2022 - Charlotte FC
- Cristian Ortíz Is 'One of the Best Number Tens for Our Specific Game Model' - Charlotte FC
- Colorado Rapids Sign Midfielder Mark-Anthony Kaye to Four-Year Extension - Colorado Rapids
- Colorado Rapids Sign Defender Keegan Rosenberry to Three-Year Contract Extension - Colorado Rapids
- Sorber and Stalteri Join Toronto FC Coaching Staff for 2022 Season - Toronto FC
- MLS 101: What Is a No. 10? Soccer Jersey Numbers Explained - Charlotte FC
- D.C. United Single-Match Tickets for 2022 Major League Soccer Schedule Now On-Sale - D.C. United
- Sporting KC Signs Defender Robert Voloder - Sporting Kansas City
- Ronald Hernández, Josef Martínez Called up to Venezuela National Team Ahead of Upcoming World Cup Qualifiers - Atlanta United FC
- Inter Miami CF Signs Colombian Winger Emerson Rodríguez - Inter Miami CF
- CF Montréal Unveils Preseason Match Calendar - Club de Foot Montreal
- New York City FC Sign Nicholas Benalcazar, Jonathan Jimenez and Samuel Owusu to Homegrown Contracts - New York City FC
- New York City FC Announce Preseason for 2022 Season - New York City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Gameday Guide: Your Complete Timeline for the Rapids' Sunday Doubleheader
- Colorado Rapids Hosting State's Largest Public Fireworks Display at DICK's Sporting Goods Park on July 4
- MLS Reschedules Match Between Colorado Rapids and New York Red Bulls
- Rapids Suffer Physical 2-1 Loss to Sporting Kansas City on the Road
- Rapids Back on the Road as They Face Sporting Kansas City on Wednesday