Cleveland Stumbles in 2-1 Loss to Grand Rapids
GRAND RAPIDS, MI - The Cleveland Monsters fell to the Grand Rapids Griffins 2-1 on Wednesday night at Van Andel Arena. With the loss, the Monsters are now 11-7-1-0 and are currently in third place in the AHL's Central Division standings.
Following a scoreless first period, Wyatt Newpower broke the ice with a power-play goal at 12:58 of the middle frame off feeds from Dillon Simpson and Tyler Angle giving the Monsters a 1-0 lead after 40 minutes. The Griffins scored the only goals in the final period from Givani Smith at 5:30 and Troy Loggins at 7:05 to capture the lead moving the final score to 2-1.
Cleveland's Matiss Kivlenieks made 28 saves in defeat while Grand Rapids' Kaden Fulcher stopped 27 shots for the victory.
The Monsters head home to face the Chicago Wolves on Friday, April 23, with a 7:00 p.m. puck drop at Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse. Follow the games with full coverage on FOX Sports 1350AM 'The Gambler', AHLTV and the Monsters Hockey Network.
Stay up to date on all Monsters news with the Monsters Mobile App presented by University Hospitals available to download at the Apple Store or Google Play Store. Be sure to follow the Monsters on Twitter @monstershockey, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/monstershockey, and on Instagram @monstershockey.
1st 2nd 3rd OT SO Final
CLE 0 1 0 - - 1
GR 0 0 2 - - 2
Shots PP PK PIM
CLE 28 1/2 3/3 6 min / 3 inf
GR 30 0/3 1/2 4 min / 2 inf
Goaltender Outcome Saves GA Record
CLE Kivlenieks L 28 2 5-1-0
GR Fulcher W 27 1 1-0-1
Cleveland Record: 11-7-1-0, 3rd Central Division
Grand Rapids Record: 11-6-3-0, 2nd Central Division
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 21, 2021
- Penguins Sign Defenseman Dylan Macpherson to PTO - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Fulcher Makes 27 Saves in Comeback Win over Cleveland - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Phantoms Return to Game Action - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Crunch Rally Past Amerks, 7-6 - Syracuse Crunch
- Bears Power Play Overpowers Phantoms in 6-1 Win - Hershey Bears
- Comets Return to Winning Ways on the Back of Hofer - Utica Comets
- Cleveland Stumbles in 2-1 Loss to Grand Rapids - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets Blank Devils, 3-0 - Binghamton Devils
- The Bridgeport Report: Week 11 - Bridgeport Islanders
- Roadrunners Increase Seating Capacity for May Home Games - Tucson Roadrunners
- Florida Panthers Reassign Defenseman Alec Rauhauser from Syracuse Crunch to Greenville Swamp Rabbits - Syracuse Crunch
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Rocket, April 21st - Belleville Senators
- Tonight's Wolves Game Versus Rockford Postponed - Chicago Wolves
- American Hockey League Announces Schedule Change - AHL
- Fulcher Returns, Boyle Heads to Detroit - Grand Rapids Griffins
- American Hockey League Announces Schedule Change for Providence Bruins - Providence Bruins
- Game Preview: Bears at Phantoms, 7:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Barracuda Overwhelmed by Gulls 5-1 - San Jose Barracuda
- Gulls Forge Tie for First with 5-1 Victory - San Diego Gulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cleveland Monsters Stories
- Blue Jackets Assign Forward Yegor Chinakhov to Monsters
- Cleveland Monsters Announce 2021-22 TV and Radio Broadcast Schedules
- Monsters Drop Puck for 15th Season with Weekend Homestand Versus Crunch
- Blue Jackets Assign Three Players to Monsters
- Monsters Announce Leadership Group for 2021-22 Season