Christian Makoun: 'People Who Criticize the League, Don't Know Football'
CHARLOTTE - Recently acquired center back, Christian Makoun, just arrived in Charlotte amid a winter storm. It was quite a change of scenery from the Miami sun and palm trees that had been his home since the beginning of 2020.
"I told my girlfriend that I'm really happy and blessed to be at Charlotte. They told me it doesn't snow much in the city, but we were welcomed beautifully with the snow," said Makoun, almost describing the snow as a divine sign.
Of the five central defenders Charlotte FC currently has on the roster, Makoun is one of two who has MLS experience. That experience came by way of playing for a recent expansion team, Inter Miami.
In recent years, Major League Soccer has become a hotspot for young South American talent. Makoun is just that, an exciting 21-year-old Venezuelan prospect who came to MLS to develop and showcase his ability to a bigger audience.
"[MLS] isn't a retirement destination as it used to be. Today, young players are coming to the league. We see MLS export several players to Europe on a consistent basis. MLS has taken great strides and only continues to grow and improve.
"I think the people who critique the league don't know football. It's a league that is very competitive and intense. You as a player want to find a league that can challenge you and MLS is that."
Makoun is familiar with the league, but more significantly, this isn't his first rodeo playing for an expansion team in their inaugural season.
"Being a part of an expansion team is very special because very few players get that opportunity. This is my second time, the first time being in Miami. It's a responsibility that I take pride in and an experience that I am very excited to be a part of."
While being a part of an expansion team is an experience that Makoun cherishes, he knows firsthand the challenges that come with it.
"It's not easy... us as players have to get to know each other, the coaching staff, the playing style, the city, all within a very short time. You also have so many other great teams in MLS that have established structures that we have to compete against."
Despite knowing the challenges, Makoun feels he is in the right place and is anxious to get started.
"[Charlotte FC Head Coach] Ramírez demonstrated belief in me, and as a player, all you want is to be a part of a team that wants you
"I'm very happy to be here, with the little bit I've been able to talk to my teammates, I already feel really good here. I'm just so ready to start training and to get the season started"
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 18, 2022
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: January 18, 2022 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Earthquakes Announce 2022 Preseason Schedule - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sounders FC Re-Signs Midfielder Kelyn Rowe - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy Sign Free Agent Goalkeeper Richard Sanchez - LA Galaxy
- Earthquakes Acquire $250k of General Allocation Money in Trade with Houston - San Jose Earthquakes
- Houston Dynamo FC Acquire International Roster Spot from San Jose Earthquakes - Houston Dynamo FC
- Sounders FC Announces Full 2022 Preseason Schedule - Seattle Sounders FC
- FC Dallas Re-Signs Homegrown Jésus Ferreira as a Young Designated Player - FC Dallas
- Philadelphia Union Announce Ryan Richter as Assistant Coach - Philadelphia Union
- MNUFC Signs Re-Entry Draft Pick Eric Dick - Minnesota United FC
- Christian Makoun: 'People Who Criticize the League, Don't Know Football' - Charlotte FC
- Nashville Soccer Club Waives Miguel Nazarit - Nashville SC
- FC Cincinnati Exercise Offseason Buyout on Kamohelo Mokotjo - FC Cincinnati
- Whitecaps FC Confirm 2022 Preseason Games - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- LA Galaxy to Host Inaugural Coachella Valley Invitational February 10 - 19 at Empire Polo Club - LA Galaxy
- New York Red Bulls 2022 Preseason Will Feature in Florida and California - New York Red Bulls
- D.C. United Announce 2022 Preseason Schedule - D.C. United
- Chicago Fire FC Name Evan Whitfield as Vice President of Equity, Alumni Relations, and Engagement - Chicago Fire FC
- Haslam Sports Group Names Kristin Bernert President of Business Operations for the Columbus Crew - Columbus Crew SC
- Austin FC Announces 2022 Preseason Schedule - Austin FC
- Houston Dynamo FC Acquire Sebastián Ferreira as Most Expensive Signing in Club History - Houston Dynamo FC
- FC Cincinnati Announce Assistant Coaching Hires - FC Cincinnati
- Philadelphia Union Sign Defender Jack Elliott to Contract Extension - Philadelphia Union
- New England Revolution Sign Midfielder Noel Buck as Homegrown Player - New England Revolution
- Atlanta United Signs Caleb Wiley to Homegrown Deal - Atlanta United FC
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.