Sounders FC Re-Signs Midfielder Kelyn Rowe
SEATTLE, WASH. - Sounders FC today announced that it has re-signed midfielder Kelyn Rowe. The 30-year-old returns to Seattle after appearing in every match with the club in 2021. The Federal Way, Washington-native has 287 career MLS appearances, tallying 31 goals and 47 assists (including postseason play). The signing of Rowe brings Sounders FC's roster to 24 players going into the 2022 campaign. Rowe signs a two-year contract that covers the 2022 and 2023 seasons.
"We are excited to bring Kelyn back after being such an integral part of our club in 2021," said Sounders FC General Manager & President of Soccer Garth Lagerwey. "He showed his value to the team by being the only player to appear in all of our matches last year and we look forward to his contributions going forward."
Rowe was a staple for Seattle in 2021, appearing in all 38 matches for Sounders FC across all competitions, the only player on the team to do so. The versatile midfielder recorded one goal and three assists, with the assists all coming from the same match against Vancouver on October 9, tying a club record. On top of logging time at every midfield position, Rowe also appeared as a wingback periodically throughout 2021.
"Kelyn is a talented veteran player that we are happy to have back this season," said Sounders FC Head Coach Brian Schmetzer. "He provides our team with a lot of versatility and the ability to play at multiple positions. We are excited to continue to use his skills to better our team."
Prior to his time in Seattle, Rowe was selected third overall in the 2012 MLS SuperDraft by New England, where he played the first seven seasons of his career and ranks among the franchise's all-time leaders in several categories. He spent the 2019 season with Sporting Kansas City and Real Salt Lake before returning to New England in 2020, starting 10 of 16 appearances. Off the field, he was named the Revolution's Humanitarian of the Year in four straight seasons (2014-2017) for his commitment to numerous philanthropic causes, including fighting childhood cancer. In all, Rowe has 274 career regular-season appearances (203 starts), with 30 goals and 45 assists, in addition to 13 appearances, one goal and two assists in the MLS Cup Playoffs.
"Kelyn is a player that has made his teams better wherever he has played," said Sounders FC Senior Vice President of Soccer Operations & Sporting Director Craig Waibel. "We are pleased to have such a proven player return to our team to contribute both on and off the field."
A native of the Seattle area and a Federal Way High School graduate, Rowe started for two seasons at UCLA, earning Pac-10 Freshman of the Year in 2010 and Pac-10 Player of the Year in 2011. He also has four caps for the U.S. Men's National Team, including three appearances after being called-up for the 2017 Gold Cup, where he recorded one goal and one assist. Rowe also represented the United States at the U-23, U-20 and U-18 levels.
TRANSACTION: Sounders FC re-signs midfielder Kelyn Rowe on January 18, 2022.
Full Name: Kelyn Rowe
Hometown: Federal Way, Wash.
Date of Birth: December 2, 1991 in Federal Way, Wash.
Nationality: United States
Pronunciation: KELL-len ROW
Acquired: Re-signed on January 18, 2022
Previous Clubs: New England Revolution (2012-2018, 2020), Real Salt Lake (2019), Sporting Kansas City (2019)
CURRENT SEATTLE SOUNDERS FC ROSTER
GOALKEEPERS (2): Stefan Frei, Andrew Thomas
DEFENDERS (6): Yeimar Gómez Andrade, Xavier Arreaga, Abdoulaye Cissoko, Jimmy Medranda, Nouhou, Brad Smith
MIDFIELDERS (12): Josh Atencio, Reed Baker-Whiting, Léo Chú, Ethan Dobbelaere, João Paulo, Danny Leyva, Nicolás Lodeiro, Cristian Roldan, Kelyn Rowe, Albert Rusnák, Obed Vargas, Dylan Teves
FORWARDS (4): Samuel Adeniran, Jordan Morris, Alfonso Ocampo-Chavez, Raúl Ruidíaz
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 18, 2022
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: January 18, 2022 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Earthquakes Announce 2022 Preseason Schedule - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sounders FC Re-Signs Midfielder Kelyn Rowe - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy Sign Free Agent Goalkeeper Richard Sanchez - LA Galaxy
- Earthquakes Acquire $250k of General Allocation Money in Trade with Houston - San Jose Earthquakes
- Houston Dynamo FC Acquire International Roster Spot from San Jose Earthquakes - Houston Dynamo FC
- Sounders FC Announces Full 2022 Preseason Schedule - Seattle Sounders FC
- FC Dallas Re-Signs Homegrown Jésus Ferreira as a Young Designated Player - FC Dallas
- Philadelphia Union Announce Ryan Richter as Assistant Coach - Philadelphia Union
- MNUFC Signs Re-Entry Draft Pick Eric Dick - Minnesota United FC
- Christian Makoun: 'People Who Criticize the League, Don't Know Football' - Charlotte FC
- Nashville Soccer Club Waives Miguel Nazarit - Nashville SC
- FC Cincinnati Exercise Offseason Buyout on Kamohelo Mokotjo - FC Cincinnati
- Whitecaps FC Confirm 2022 Preseason Games - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- LA Galaxy to Host Inaugural Coachella Valley Invitational February 10 - 19 at Empire Polo Club - LA Galaxy
- New York Red Bulls 2022 Preseason Will Feature in Florida and California - New York Red Bulls
- D.C. United Announce 2022 Preseason Schedule - D.C. United
- Chicago Fire FC Name Evan Whitfield as Vice President of Equity, Alumni Relations, and Engagement - Chicago Fire FC
- Haslam Sports Group Names Kristin Bernert President of Business Operations for the Columbus Crew - Columbus Crew SC
- Austin FC Announces 2022 Preseason Schedule - Austin FC
- Houston Dynamo FC Acquire Sebastián Ferreira as Most Expensive Signing in Club History - Houston Dynamo FC
- FC Cincinnati Announce Assistant Coaching Hires - FC Cincinnati
- Philadelphia Union Sign Defender Jack Elliott to Contract Extension - Philadelphia Union
- New England Revolution Sign Midfielder Noel Buck as Homegrown Player - New England Revolution
- Atlanta United Signs Caleb Wiley to Homegrown Deal - Atlanta United FC
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Seattle Sounders FC Stories
- Sounders FC Falls 2-1 at Home to CF Montréal
- Sounders FC Finishes Five-Match Home Stand against CF Montréal on Wednesday Evening
- Sounders FC Continues Summer with the Champs Wednesday Evening vs. CF Montréal
- Sounders FC Runs Past Sporting KC with 3-0 at Lumen Field
- Sounders FC Continues Home Stand against Sporting Kansas City on Saturday