LA Galaxy Sign Free Agent Goalkeeper Richard Sanchez
LOS ANGELES - The LA Galaxy today announced that the club has signed free agent goalkeeper Richard Sanchez to a one-year contract through the end of the 2022 MLS regular season with a club option for 2023.
Sanchez, 27, joins the Galaxy having played last season with North Texas SC, where he made 19 appearances (19 starts) and registered four shutouts during the 2021 USL League One regular season.
After being selected by Sporting Kansas City in Stage 1 of the 2019 MLS Re-Entry Draft, Sanchez made two appearances in the group stage of the MLS is Back Tournament, helping Sporting KC to a 3-2 win over the Colorado Rapids on July 17, 2020. Prior to joining Kansas City, Sanchez spent three seasons with Chicago Fire FC (2017-19), where he played in 27 matches (26 starts) and registered 90 saves and three shutouts.
The Mission Hills, Calif., native is a product of the FC Dallas Academy and signed with FC Dallas as the club's sixth-ever Homegrown player in 2011. Sanchez was sent on loan to the Fort Lauderdale Strikers during the 2013 NASL campaign, where he made 14 starts and recorded three shutouts. After four seasons with Dallas (2011-14), Sanchez moved to Tigres UANL in Liga MX, where he stayed three seasons (2014-17).
At the international level, Sanchez was the starting goalkeeper and played all seven matches for Mexico as El Tri captured the 2011 FIFA U-17 World Cup title in Mexico. Additionally, Sanchez was Mexico's starting keeper at the 2013 U-20 World Cup in Turkey, helping his side reach the Round of 16.
Transaction: LA Galaxy sign free agent goalkeeper Richard Sanchez to a one-year contract through the end of the 2022 MLS regular season with a club option for 2023 on Jan. 18, 2022.
Date Of Birth: April 5, 1994
Birthplace: Mission Hills, Calif.
Last Club: North Texas SC
Citizenship: United States, Mexico
Acquired: Signed to a one-year contract through the end of the 2022 MLS regular season with a club option for 2023 on Jan. 18, 2022.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 18, 2022
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: January 18, 2022 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Earthquakes Announce 2022 Preseason Schedule - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sounders FC Re-Signs Midfielder Kelyn Rowe - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy Sign Free Agent Goalkeeper Richard Sanchez - LA Galaxy
- Earthquakes Acquire $250k of General Allocation Money in Trade with Houston - San Jose Earthquakes
- Houston Dynamo FC Acquire International Roster Spot from San Jose Earthquakes - Houston Dynamo FC
- Sounders FC Announces Full 2022 Preseason Schedule - Seattle Sounders FC
- FC Dallas Re-Signs Homegrown Jésus Ferreira as a Young Designated Player - FC Dallas
- Philadelphia Union Announce Ryan Richter as Assistant Coach - Philadelphia Union
- MNUFC Signs Re-Entry Draft Pick Eric Dick - Minnesota United FC
- Christian Makoun: 'People Who Criticize the League, Don't Know Football' - Charlotte FC
- Nashville Soccer Club Waives Miguel Nazarit - Nashville SC
- FC Cincinnati Exercise Offseason Buyout on Kamohelo Mokotjo - FC Cincinnati
- Whitecaps FC Confirm 2022 Preseason Games - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- LA Galaxy to Host Inaugural Coachella Valley Invitational February 10 - 19 at Empire Polo Club - LA Galaxy
- New York Red Bulls 2022 Preseason Will Feature in Florida and California - New York Red Bulls
- D.C. United Announce 2022 Preseason Schedule - D.C. United
- Chicago Fire FC Name Evan Whitfield as Vice President of Equity, Alumni Relations, and Engagement - Chicago Fire FC
- Haslam Sports Group Names Kristin Bernert President of Business Operations for the Columbus Crew - Columbus Crew SC
- Austin FC Announces 2022 Preseason Schedule - Austin FC
- Houston Dynamo FC Acquire Sebastián Ferreira as Most Expensive Signing in Club History - Houston Dynamo FC
- FC Cincinnati Announce Assistant Coaching Hires - FC Cincinnati
- Philadelphia Union Sign Defender Jack Elliott to Contract Extension - Philadelphia Union
- New England Revolution Sign Midfielder Noel Buck as Homegrown Player - New England Revolution
- Atlanta United Signs Caleb Wiley to Homegrown Deal - Atlanta United FC
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent LA Galaxy Stories
- LA Galaxy Academy U-19 Team Joins the United Premier Soccer League (UPSL)
- LA Galaxy Announce Programming for Fourth of July Match against CF Montréal
- LA Galaxy Fall 3-2 to Minnesota United FC at Dignity Health Sports Park on Wednesday Night
- LA Galaxy Announce Programming Details for Home Match against Minnesota United FC on Wednesday, June 29
- LA Galaxy's June 25 Road Match against San Jose Earthquakes at Stanford Stadium Rescheduled for September 24