Checkers Sign Raleigh Native Billy Christopoulos
The Charlotte Checkers today announced that they have signed goaltender Billy Christopoulos to a professional tryout contract. Additionally, the team has released goaltender Devan Dubnyk from his professional tryout contract.
Christopoulos, a native of Raleigh who played youth hockey with the Jr. Hurricanes organization, owns a 13-2-2 record, 2.45 goals-against average and .922 save percentage in 17 games for the ECHL's Toledo Walleye this season. He currently ranks second in the ECHL in wins and earned the league's most recent Goaltender of the Month honors after going 5-0-2 with a 1.79 GAA and .946 SV% in December.
Now in his third professional season, the 27-year-old Christopoulos owns a 48-10-6 record, 2.33 GAA and .925 SV% in 65 career ECHL games with South Carolina, Toledo and Indy. During the 2019-20 season with South Carolina and Toledo, he earned ECHL All-Rookie Team honors and posted a league-best .932 SV%. The 6-foot-2, 194-pound netminder also played five AHL games with Rochester last season.
Prior to turning pro, Christopoulos played four collegiate seasons at the Air Force Academy, where he went 42-35-11 with a 2.29 GAA and .913 save percentage and won back-to-back AHA Goaltender of the Year honors in in 2017-18 and 2018-19. He remains on active Air Force duty while pursuing his hockey career.
Dubnyk, an NHL veteran who first joined the Checkers on Dec. 7, posted a 2-2-0 record, 3.55 GAA and .869 save percentage in four games played.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 19, 2022
- Phantoms Deliver Birthday W for Absent Coach Lappy - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Phantoms Edge Penguins in Low-Scoring, Grind-It-Out Game - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Wolf Pack Knock off Marlies 5-2 for Second Straight Victory - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Comets Drop Contest to Rocket, 4-3 - Utica Comets
- Crunch Rally Past Amerks, 3-2, in Overtime - Syracuse Crunch
- Anaheim Ducks Announce Roster Moves - San Diego Gulls
- Coachella Valley Firebirds to Debut Inaugural Season Jersey on January 24 - Coachella Valley Firebirds
- 5 Things: Heat vs. Gulls - Stockton Heat
- Penguins Sign Goalie Tristan Côté-Cazenave to PTO - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- By the Numbers - Henderson Silver Knights
- North Carolina Native Billy Christopoulos Gets Opportunity to Represent his Home State - Charlotte Checkers
- Monsters Announce Pair of Roster Moves - Cleveland Monsters
- Heat, Gulls Face off Wednesday at Stockton Arena - Stockton Heat
- Jonsson-Fjallby Recalled, Assigned to Taxi Squad - Hershey Bears
- Wolf Pack Look to String Back-To-Back Wins Together with Marlies in Town - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Checkers Sign Raleigh Native Billy Christopoulos - Charlotte Checkers
- Marlies Road Trip Continues in Hartford - Toronto Marlies
- Wolf Pack's Fritz Suspended for One Game - AHL
- The Bridgeport Report: Week 14 - Bridgeport Islanders
- Game #29: Tucson at Bakersfield - Tucson Roadrunners
- Gulls Withstand Barracuda Charge, 4-2 - San Diego Gulls
- Barracuda Put 40 Shots on Net But Fall to Gulls 4-2 - San Jose Barracuda
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.