Checkers Edge Islanders 3-2
BRIDGEPORT, Conn. (Dec. 5, 2021) - Chris Terry and Andy Andreoff each found the back of the net on Sunday afternoon, but the Bridgeport Islanders (7-12-1-2), American Hockey League affiliate of the New York Islanders, dropped a 3-2 final to the Charlotte Checkers (10-9-2-0) at Webster Bank Arena.
Grigori Denisenko scored a power-play goal in the final three minutes of regulation to break a 2-2 tie and send Charlotte to victory. Jakub Skarek (5-5-2) made 15 saves in the Islanders' setback, which snapped their two-game win streak.
Missed opportunities were the difference, as Bridgeport failed to capitalize on a couple of 2-on-0 breakaways and a brief 5-on-3 power play in the third. Both teams finished the contest 1-for-3 on the man advantage.
Charlotte struck first just 3:30 into the game courtesy of Scott Wilson, who had his initial shot blocked from the right circle, but he quickly found the rebound and beat Skarek blocker side at even strength.
That lead was brief, however, as Terry responded with his team-leading seventh goal of the season just 1:42 later. Shortly after a faceoff win in the Checkers' zone, Terry settled a rebound following Mitch Vande Sompel's chance, and lifted a wrister into the top left corner of the cage from the left circle. It also extended Terry's point streak to five games at 5:12 of the first period.
The Islanders nearly had a second goal just minutes later when Cole Coskey hit the post, and later in the period, Kyle MacLean was denied by goaltender Antoine Bibeau on a shorthanded breakaway.
Bridgeport had another golden opportunity to take the lead early in the second period when Blade Jenkins and Collin Adams came in on a 2-on-0, but Adams was denied by Bibeau's outstretched left leg. The Islanders had another 2-on-0 in the period, but Jeff Kubiak missed the net on Simon Holmstrom's cross-ice feed.
Bridgeport finally took the lead at 16:42 of the second period when Andreoff scored a power-play goal on a rebound for his fourth of the season. Paul LaDue camped out in the deep slot and sailed on a one-time shot towards Bibeau that was turned back to Andreoff.
Another quick answer tied the game for a second time when Cole Schwindt entered the zone on a 2-on-1 and wristed a shot past Skarek with just 26 seconds left in the middle frame.
Denisenko's power-play goal at 17:49 of the third period put the Checkers ahead for good, converting on a slap shot from the top of the circle with Terry in the box for slashing.
Charlotte leads the series 1-0-0-0 after one meeting.
Next Time Out: The Islanders continue a five-game homestand next Saturday with a 7 p.m. matchup against the Toronto Marlies at Webster Bank Arena. Tickets for the annual "Teddy Bear Toss" game are on sale now! Fans can also follow the action all season long via the Bridgeport Islanders Radio Network and AHLTV.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 5, 2021
- Barracuda Clipped By Canucks, 5-2 - San Jose Barracuda
- Canucks Win Big against Barracuda - Abbotsford Canucks
- Iowa Drops Sunday Matchup to Chicago, 4-0 - Iowa Wild
- Wolves Roll to Sixth Win in a Row - Chicago Wolves
- Holm Backtops Moose to 2-0 Decision over Belleville - Manitoba Moose
- Checkers Edge Islanders 3-2 - Bridgeport Islanders
- Denisenko Comes up Clutch in 3-2 Checkers Win - Charlotte Checkers
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Groulx - San Diego Gulls
- IceHogs Recall Defenseman Cliff Watson from Indy; Receive Wyatt Kalynuk from Blackhawks - Rockford IceHogs
- Defenseman Wyatt Kalynuk Assigned to the IceHogs - Rockford IceHogs
- Marlies Look for Redemption against Laval - Toronto Marlies
- Barracuda Take Bite out of Canucks, Abby Loses 6-4 - Abbotsford Canucks
- Barracuda Snap Skid with Comeback Win over Canucks, 6-4 - San Jose Barracuda
- Reign Go to Shootout to Stop Bakersfield - Ontario Reign
- Stockton Edges Gulls, 3-2 - San Diego Gulls
- Roadrunners Split Series With 4-0 Loss To Colorado Eagles, Ending Win Streak At Four Games - Tucson Roadrunners
- Francouz's 27-Save Shutout Leads Colorado to 4-0 Win over Roadrunners - Colorado Eagles
- Heat Outlast Gulls Saturday for Weekend Sweep - Stockton Heat
- Five-Goal First Period Propels Griffins over Rockford - Grand Rapids Griffins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.