Iowa Drops Sunday Matchup to Chicago, 4-0
DES MOINES, Iowa - Iowa Wild (9-8-1-0; 19 pts.) lost to the Chicago Wolves (14-4-1-1; 30 pts.) by a score of 4-0 at Wells Fargo Arena. Iowa goaltender Dereck Baribeau made 39 saves in the effort.
Wolves forward David Cotton beat Baribeau with a wrist shot from the high slot to give Chicago a 1-0 lead at 14:22 of the first period.
Less than a minute later, Chicago forward Jack Drury collected a pass between both faceoff circles in front of Baribeau and floated a backhand shot past him to put the Wolves up 2-0 at 15:03 of the first period.
The Wolves outshot the Wild 11-7 and led 2-0 entering the second period of play.
In the second period, Wolves forward Stefan Noesen deflected a point shot from Chicago defenseman Cavan Fitzgerald past Baribeau to push their lead to 3-0 just 51-seconds in to the stanza.
At the conclusion of the second period, Chicago led 3-0 over Iowa. Shots in the period were 14-8 in favor of Chicago and 25-15 after two periods of play.
At 1:22 of the third period, Wolves forward Josh Leivo found the back of the net with a slap shot from the right circle on the power play to give Chicago a 4-0 lead. The Wolves held that lead through the end of the game.
Shots in the third period were 18-5 in favor of Chicago. In total, the Wolves outshot the Wild 43-20 in the game. Chicago was 1-for-8 and Iowa was 0-for-2 on the power play on the night.
The Wild play in Rockford against the IceHogs on Wednesday, Dec. 8, 2021. Faceoff is set for 7 p.m. CT.
Iowa Wild hockey is presented by MercyOne Des Moines Medical Center. For more information, please visit www.iowawild.com. Fans can purchase single-game tickets through the team's website at www.iowawild.com. Group tickets (10 or more), suites, Wild 365 memberships or premium tickets can be purchased by contacting the Iowa Wild Ticket Department at 515-564-8700 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 5, 2021
- Barracuda Clipped By Canucks, 5-2 - San Jose Barracuda
- Canucks Win Big against Barracuda - Abbotsford Canucks
- Iowa Drops Sunday Matchup to Chicago, 4-0 - Iowa Wild
- Wolves Roll to Sixth Win in a Row - Chicago Wolves
- Holm Backtops Moose to 2-0 Decision over Belleville - Manitoba Moose
- Checkers Edge Islanders 3-2 - Bridgeport Islanders
- Denisenko Comes up Clutch in 3-2 Checkers Win - Charlotte Checkers
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Groulx - San Diego Gulls
- IceHogs Recall Defenseman Cliff Watson from Indy; Receive Wyatt Kalynuk from Blackhawks - Rockford IceHogs
- Defenseman Wyatt Kalynuk Assigned to the IceHogs - Rockford IceHogs
- Marlies Look for Redemption against Laval - Toronto Marlies
- Barracuda Take Bite out of Canucks, Abby Loses 6-4 - Abbotsford Canucks
- Barracuda Snap Skid with Comeback Win over Canucks, 6-4 - San Jose Barracuda
- Reign Go to Shootout to Stop Bakersfield - Ontario Reign
- Stockton Edges Gulls, 3-2 - San Diego Gulls
- Roadrunners Split Series With 4-0 Loss To Colorado Eagles, Ending Win Streak At Four Games - Tucson Roadrunners
- Francouz's 27-Save Shutout Leads Colorado to 4-0 Win over Roadrunners - Colorado Eagles
- Heat Outlast Gulls Saturday for Weekend Sweep - Stockton Heat
- Five-Goal First Period Propels Griffins over Rockford - Grand Rapids Griffins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.