CF Montréal Downed in Final Minute
ATLANTA, Georgia - CF Montréal lost 1-0 against Atlanta United on Saturday night on a last-minute goal scored by Marcelino Moreno (90'+4') at Mercedes-Benz Stadium, in Atlanta, Georgia.
ATL - Marcelino Moreno 90'+4' (Jake Mulraney)
ATL - Santiago Sosa 17'
MTL - Rudy Camacho 19'
MTL - Victor Wanyama 29'
MTL - Kiki Struna 90'
MTL - Gk-Clément Diop; D-Kamal Miller, Rudy Camacho, Kiki Struna; M-Lassi Lappalainen (Zorhan Bassong 70'), Victor Wanyama, Samuel Piette, Djordje Mihailovic (Sunusi Ibrahim 79'), Mathieu Choinière (Mustafa Kizza 79'); F-Romell Quioto (Erik Hurtado 72'), Bjorn Johnsen (Ahmed Hamdi 65')
Subs not used: James Pantemis, Joel Waterman, Joaquin Torres, Emanuel Maciel
ATL - Gk-Brad Guzan; D-Alan Franco (Anton Walkes 46'), Brooks Lennon, Miles Robinson, Franco Ibarra, George Bello; M-Santiago Sosa, Emerson Hyndman; A-Josef Martinez, Marcelino Moreno, Erik Lopez (Jake Mulraney 78')
Subs not used: Ben Lundgaard, Ronald Hernandez, Alex De John, Mikey Ambrose, Matheus Rossetto, Erick Torres, Jackson Conway
"It's difficult. We suffered and we felt like we were moving back too much. The regret I have is that the goal came after one of our offensive sequences where we could have done better. But I am proud of the guys because it wasn't easy. We played in front of a big crowd. The global performance was really good. The guys fought. We could have done better in front goal, and we were close to achieving something great. Defensively, the guys did what they had to do. Atlanta was really good at transitioning defensively."
"We worked really hard in a tough atmosphere. Everyone worked well. Losing at the last second is heartbreaking. In general, we played a good game. The attitude was good. The players were tired after the game because they gave everything during the game. We have to learn to be more intelligent. We had our chances. But I think the draw would have been fairer."
"I hope it's the last time we allow a goal in the last minute like that. We fought until the end, but it was played on a few seconds. We have really clear instructions, and the spirit is good. We ran a lot for each other. We were solid, but not enough. We have a lot of fun this year. We are always close to earning points."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 15, 2021
- Rapids Dominant First Half Propels Team to 3-1 Victory - Colorado Rapids
- Dynamo Fall 3-1 to Rapids in Colorado - Houston Dynamo FC
- Loons Earn Second Shutout of the Week with 1-0 Win over Dallas - Minnesota United FC
- New York Falls Short at Philadelphia, 1-0 - New York Red Bulls
- FC Dallas Falls 1-0 to Minnesota United FC at Allianz Field - FC Dallas
- Andre Blake gets his 3rd clean sheet of the 2021 MLS regular season, Burke 2nd goal of the regular season proves to be the game winner - Philadelphia Union
- Atlanta United Wins 1-0 vs. CF Montreal in Front of Record Crowd - Atlanta United FC
- CF Montréal Downed in Final Minute - Club de Foot Montreal
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes and Quotes: LA Galaxy 2, Austin FC 0 - LA Galaxy
- Earthquakes Host Portland Timbers Tonight - San Jose Earthquakes
- Austin FC Fall 2-0 away at the LA Galaxy - Austin FC
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. LAFC - May 16, 2021 - Seattle Sounders FC
- New York City FC (1) - Toronto FC (1) Post Game Summary - Toronto FC
- Notes & Quotes: New York City FC 1 - 1 Toronto FC - New York City FC
- Matchday Guide: FC Cincinnati vs. Inter Miami CF - Inter Miami CF
- Minnesota United Recognizes Mental Health Awareness Month - Minnesota United FC
- Orlando City Travels to Face D.C. United on Sunday - Orlando City SC
- Game Preview: New England Revolution vs. Columbus SC - New England Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Club de Foot Montreal Stories
- CF Montréal Will Play All Remaining Home Games in Montreal in 2021
- Stade Saputo Permitted Capacity Increased Significantly
- CF Montréal Will Play at Stade Saputo in August
- Schedule Change Announced
- CF Montreal Earns Wild 5-4 Win over FC Cincinnati in Return to Montreal