Rapids Dominant First Half Propels Team to 3-1 Victory
Sam Vines, Diego Rubio and Cole Bassett scored in the first half to propel the Colorado Rapids (3-1-1, 10 points) to their third consecutive victory on Saturday night. The 3-1 win over Houston Dynamo FC (2-2-2, 8 points) marked the second straight match in which the Rapids have netted three goals and also extended the club's home scoring streak to 27 consecutive MLS matches, the longest active home scoring streak in the league.
Rubio's goal in the 36th minute was his second of the season and came on his 28th birthday. Bassett's goal was the 10th of his MLS career, setting the club record for most goals by a Rapids Homegrown Player. Vines opened his 2021 scoring account with a strike from inside the box in the 29th minute. 19-year-old Homegrown midfielder Oliver Larraz made his MLS debut when he came in for Jack Price in the 90th minute, making it three Rapids Homegrown Players on the pitch at the same time.
DEFENDER SAM VINES
_Â On tonight's match..._
"I think we came out strong at the beginning. We pinned them back early on. To open up the game we got a goal in the first half that really opened up the game and then we scored a second one. We let one right after we scored, didn't really feel too good but it was a good response from the guys right after to get another goal and kind of lock down the game. [In] the second half, we just grinded out the whole rest of the second half and did our thing, didn't let up any goals, didn't score any goals but we just locked down the game. A good 3-1 win from the boys."
On what he saw on the assist from Michael Barrios...
"I saw Mikey take off and you know Mikey is going to beat his guy, he's going to get to the endline and get a cross in so once he took off, I took off. I saw Diego [Rubio] run towards the near post, he took everyone towards the near post to open up space and Mikey placed a perfect ball to the top of the box and I was able to just slot it home, so credit to Mikey for getting in behind and making that run and credit to Diego for making the space for me to have an easy finish."
On offensive contributions...
"I just want to contribute the best I can. Obviously, I'm a defender so I have to defend first but the system that we play now it gives me more freedom to go forward and help with the attack, get some more space out wide to get crosses in the box and to get production. Just the distribution and the movement from the guys gives me space to get in behind, so it helps me, all the guys, the movement that we get, the rotations that we get on the left side between whether it's Bava [Andre Shinyashiki], whether it's Kellyn [Acosta], our movement just brings out space for me and gives me opportunities to get in good spots, get good crosses in the box."
Colorado travels to Los Angeles to take on LAFC next Saturday, May 22 at Banc of California Stadium.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 15, 2021
- Rapids Dominant First Half Propels Team to 3-1 Victory - Colorado Rapids
- Dynamo Fall 3-1 to Rapids in Colorado - Houston Dynamo FC
- Loons Earn Second Shutout of the Week with 1-0 Win over Dallas - Minnesota United FC
- New York Falls Short at Philadelphia, 1-0 - New York Red Bulls
- FC Dallas Falls 1-0 to Minnesota United FC at Allianz Field - FC Dallas
- Andre Blake gets his 3rd clean sheet of the 2021 MLS regular season, Burke 2nd goal of the regular season proves to be the game winner - Philadelphia Union
- Atlanta United Wins 1-0 vs. CF Montreal in Front of Record Crowd - Atlanta United FC
- CF Montréal Downed in Final Minute - Club de Foot Montreal
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes and Quotes: LA Galaxy 2, Austin FC 0 - LA Galaxy
- Earthquakes Host Portland Timbers Tonight - San Jose Earthquakes
- Austin FC Fall 2-0 away at the LA Galaxy - Austin FC
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. LAFC - May 16, 2021 - Seattle Sounders FC
- New York City FC (1) - Toronto FC (1) Post Game Summary - Toronto FC
- Notes & Quotes: New York City FC 1 - 1 Toronto FC - New York City FC
- Matchday Guide: FC Cincinnati vs. Inter Miami CF - Inter Miami CF
- Minnesota United Recognizes Mental Health Awareness Month - Minnesota United FC
- Orlando City Travels to Face D.C. United on Sunday - Orlando City SC
- Game Preview: New England Revolution vs. Columbus SC - New England Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Colorado Rapids Loan Darren Yapi to Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Rapids Midfielder Younes Namli Undergoes Successful Ankle Surgery
- Through the First Seven Games, the Rapids Offense Is Firing on All Cylinders
- Know Your Opponent: FC Cincinnati
- Kickoff Times Adjusted for Colorado Rapids Matches on August 28, October 31