Austin FC Fall 2-0 away at the LA Galaxy
Carson, CA - Austin FC traveled to Los Angeles for the second time in the Club's inaugural season, looking to get a result versus the LA Galaxy and Mexican National Team star, Javier "Chicharito" Hernandez. However, that was not to be with the LA Galaxy beating ATXFC 2-0 at Dignity Health Sports Park on Saturday afternoon.
The Galaxy created several chances early on before Jhohan Romaña fouled Chicharito in the box in the 25th minute after he chased down a ball that was played through the defense. Referee Kevin Stott pointed to the spot, but Hernandez was denied his seventh goal of the season by Austin FC's in-form goalkeeper, Brad Stuver. Stuver saved the PK, diving to his left to keep the match scoreless.
In the 35th minute, Austin FC lost Hector Jimenez -- starting in place of Nick Lima at right back -- to an injury that ended his match early. The Galaxy were able to take advantage of the early unplanned substitution and scored, going into half-time one goal up.
Austin FC Head Coach Josh Wolff made three changes in the 60th minute after a strong start to the second half for the Verde and Black, but his squad was unable to find an equalizer. Hernandez doubled the Galaxy's lead in the 77th minute, finishing a Julian Araujo cross.
Austin FC will play three (3) more matches on the road before returning to Q2 Stadium for the Club's inaugural home opener against the San Jose Earthquakes on Saturday, June 19. Next up, Austin will travel to Nashville, TN, to play Nashville SC at Nissan Stadium on Sunday, May 23 at 8:00pm CDT. The match against Nashville SC will be broadcast nationally on FS1 and on radio locally in Austin on ALT 97.5 FM (English) and in Spanish on TUDN Radio Austin (104.3-HD2, KLQB).
Austin FC Head Coach Josh Wolff on his emotions following the match: "I think we're all disappointed, we lost the game. We have expectations of what every week is going to look like and what this whole year will look like so there's going to be plenty of moments that we're on the right side of it and there's going to be plenty of moments where we don't get the result that we want. It's about evolving, it's about learning."
Austin FC Head Coach Josh Wolff on Kekuta Manneh's performance: "I think Kekuta is one of those individual players that's unbalancing. He brought energy and he certainly brings the ability to get after guys 1v1."
Matt Besler on the team's performance: "We can take some good things out of this game but there's certainly some things we need to get better [at]. I thought on the day we created some good stuff, we were decent with the ball, made them run, we were able to find some spots on the field that we wanted to."
LAG (0-1) Sebastian Lletget, 35th minute (assisted by Daniel Steres)
LAG (0-2) Javier "Chicharito" Hernández, 77th minute (assisted by Julian Araujo, Sacha Kljestan)
Austin FC Head Coach Josh Wolff digital press conference
Austin FC Defender Matt Besler digital press conference
Austin FC at the LA Galaxy | Dignity Health Sports Park (Carson, CA) | May 15, 2021
Austin FC: Brad Stuver, Hector Jimenez (Nick Lima 38'), Jhohan Romaña, Matt Besler (c), Å1/2an Kolmanič (Aedan Stanley 70'), Daniel Pereira, Tomás Pochettino, Diego Fagundez (Sebastian Berhalter 59'), Cecilio Domínguez, Jared Stroud (Rodney Redes 58'), Danny Hoesen (Kekuta Manneh 59')
Substitutes not used: Manny Perez, Julio Cascante, Andrew Tarbell
Head Coach: Josh Wolff
TOTAL SHOTS: 15; SHOTS ON GOAL: 2; FOULS: 9; OFFSIDE: 2; CORNER KICKS: 5; SAVES: 2
LA Galaxy: Jonathan Bond, Daniel Steres, Julian Araujo, Derrick Williams, Jorge Villafaña, Sebastian Lletget (Kevin Cabral 62'), Efrain Alvarez (Adam Saldaña 71'), Jonathan dos Santos (c), Samuel Grandsir (Nick DePuy 71'), Carlos Harvey (Sacha Kljestan 45'), Javier "Chicharito" Hernández (Ethan Zubak 86')
Substitutes not used: Víctor Vázquez, Cameron Dunbar, Jonathan Klinsmann, Danilo Acosta
Head Coach: Greg Vanney
TOTAL SHOTS: 16; SHOTS ON GOAL: 4; FOULS: 10; OFFSIDE: 3; CORNER KICKS: 5; SAVES: 2
Referee: Kevin Scott
Assistant Referee 1: Chris Elliott
Assistant Referee 2: Mike Rottersman
Fourth Official: Luis Guardia
Weather: Partly cloudy, 69 degrees
Statistical source: MLSsoccer.com / Opta
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 15, 2021
- Rapids Dominant First Half Propels Team to 3-1 Victory - Colorado Rapids
- Dynamo Fall 3-1 to Rapids in Colorado - Houston Dynamo FC
- Loons Earn Second Shutout of the Week with 1-0 Win over Dallas - Minnesota United FC
- New York Falls Short at Philadelphia, 1-0 - New York Red Bulls
- FC Dallas Falls 1-0 to Minnesota United FC at Allianz Field - FC Dallas
- Andre Blake gets his 3rd clean sheet of the 2021 MLS regular season, Burke 2nd goal of the regular season proves to be the game winner - Philadelphia Union
- Atlanta United Wins 1-0 vs. CF Montreal in Front of Record Crowd - Atlanta United FC
- CF Montréal Downed in Final Minute - Club de Foot Montreal
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes and Quotes: LA Galaxy 2, Austin FC 0 - LA Galaxy
- Earthquakes Host Portland Timbers Tonight - San Jose Earthquakes
- Austin FC Fall 2-0 away at the LA Galaxy - Austin FC
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. LAFC - May 16, 2021 - Seattle Sounders FC
- New York City FC (1) - Toronto FC (1) Post Game Summary - Toronto FC
- Notes & Quotes: New York City FC 1 - 1 Toronto FC - New York City FC
- Matchday Guide: FC Cincinnati vs. Inter Miami CF - Inter Miami CF
- Minnesota United Recognizes Mental Health Awareness Month - Minnesota United FC
- Orlando City Travels to Face D.C. United on Sunday - Orlando City SC
- Game Preview: New England Revolution vs. Columbus SC - New England Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Austin FC Stories
- Austin FC Partners with Freedom Solar to Support Energy Efficiency at Q2 Stadium
- Austin FC Sign Forward and Former U.S. Youth International Mckinze Gaines
- Austin FC Signs Argentine Attacking Midfielder Sebastián Driussi to Designated Player Contract
- Austin FC Falls 1-0 against Seattle Sounders FC
- Austin Welcomes U.S. Soccer World Cup Qualifying Match to Q2 Stadium on October 7