Canaries Beat Goldeyes in Longest Game in League History
WINNIPEG, MB - The Winnipeg Goldeyes (22-29) lost 4-2 to the Sioux Falls Canaries in 18 innings at Shaw Park on Tuesday afternoon.
Tied at 2-2 in the top of the 18th inning, David Bergin lined a double to left field. Chris Grayson followed with a two-run home run down the right field line. Kyle Schepel then worked a perfect bottom of the 18th to record his fifth save of the year.
The 18 innings played are a new American Association record. The Goldeyes and Wichita Wingnuts played 17 innings in Game Four of the 2017 American Association Championship Series on September 18th at Shaw Park. The Fort Worth Cats and Pensacola Pelicans also played a 17-inning game on August 3rd, 2007.
Tuesday's game also set an American Association regular season record for longest game by duration at five hours and 33 minutes. The previous regular season mark was held by the Goldeyes and Kansas City T-Bones, who played a five-hour and 25-minute game on July 15th, 2017 at Shaw Park. Game Four of the 2017 Championship Series holds the overall record at five hours and 59 minutes.
Sioux Falls (20-28) took a 2-0 lead in the top of the second inning on a double steal attempt by Grayson and Michael Hart. With the runners in motion, an errant throw to third went down the left field line and allowed both Grayson and Hart to cross the plate.
In the bottom of the sixth, Reggie Abercrombie singled to centre with one out, stole second base, and took third on a throwing error. Abercrombie scored Winnipeg's first run on a wild pitch. The stolen base was the 500th of Abercrombie's 19-year professional career (Major Leagues, affiliated minor leagues, Mexican League, and North American Independent Leagues).
Josh Romanski lined a single to left leading off the bottom of the eighth, and scored the tying run three batters later on a two-out, RBI double from Grant Heyman.
Tyler Wolfe (1-1) earned the win in relief for the Canaries, pitching four shutout innings. Carter Johnson (1-3) took the loss for the Goldeyes, allowing two earned runs in three relief innings.
Alex Boshers started for Winnipeg and took a no-decision, allowing two runs, one earned, on three hits over six innings. Boshers walked two and struck out three.
Kevin Folman started for the Canaries and also took a no-decision, allowing one unearned run on three hits in six frames. Folman walked three and struck out four.
Jack Charleston, Victor Capellan, Cameron McVey, Brandon Bingel, and PJ Browne combined for nine shutout relief innings. Goldeyes' pitchers totaled 15 strikeouts in the game.
Game three of the four-game series is Wednesday night at 7:05 p.m. Mitchell Lambson (2-2, 5.24) goes to the mound for Winnipeg. The Canaries go with right-hander John Straka (2-0, 4.26). Tickets for all Goldeyes' home games are on sale now by visiting www.ticketmaster.ca/Goldeyes, or visiting any Ticketmaster location, including the box office at Shaw Park.
For information regarding Winnipeg Goldeyes' season tickets, 10-game mini packs, and group outings, call the Goldeyes' office at (204) 982-BASE, or visit the Goldeyes' official website at www.goldeyes.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 10, 2018
- X's Bats Held in Check against Chicago - Sioux City Explorers
- Kane's Start and Offensive Outburst Buoy Wingnuts - Wichita Wingnuts
- The T-Bones Cash in on Two Errors in 2-1 Win - Kansas City T-Bones
- Errors Pile up for Saltdogs in 2-1 Loss - Lincoln Saltdogs
- St. Paul Thwarts Cleburne, Capturing Consecutive Home Wins for the First Time Since May - St. Paul Saints
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Railroaders Drop Second Game in St. Paul - Cleburne Railroaders
- Canaries Beat Goldeyes in Longest Game in League History - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Canaries Win Longest Game in League History - Sioux Falls Canaries
- AirHogs Roar Back to Clinch Series vs. RailCats - Texas AirHogs
- You Complete Me: Saints Get Starter Trevor Foss to Round out Rotation - St. Paul Saints
- Season-High 15 Left on Base Too Much to Overcome in 7-4 Loss to Texas - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- X's Win Inaugural Meeting with Dogs - Sioux City Explorers
- RedHawks Seize Extra-Inning Opener - Wichita Wingnuts
- T-Bones Hold Onto Early Lead Despite Pitching Woes - Kansas City T-Bones
- AirHogs Open Gary Series with 5-3 Win - Texas AirHogs
- Dogs Comeback Bid Falls Short in 3-2 Series-Opening Loss - Chicago Dogs
- Saltdogs Nine-Run Comeback Attempt Dies with Tying Run on Base - Lincoln Saltdogs
- McCann Drives in Four as Goldeyes Mount Comeback - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Goldeyes Slip Past Canaries in Ninth - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Railroaders Can't Overcome Early Deficit In Loss To Saints - Cleburne Railroaders
- Offensive Explosion as Saints Down Railroaders 8-5 - St. Paul Saints
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.