Dogs Comeback Bid Falls Short in 3-2 Series-Opening Loss
Rosemont, Ill. - One costly inning on the mound and some missed opportunities at the plate ended Chicago's mini two-game winning streak as they fell 3-2 to Sioux City Monday night at Impact Field.
After both teams failed to capitalize on first inning triples, the X's scored all three of their runs in the top of the second, thanks to two home runs in the frame, a lead-off solo shot from Jose Sermo, and a two-run bomb later in the inning from Dexture McCall.
Both home runs came off Chicago starter Scott Barnes who gave up six hits over his first two innings on the mound. Barnes was able to strand five men on base through his first three frames, however, and settled into a groove in the fourth. Barnes worked a hitless fourth, fifth, and sixth innings, striking out the side in the latter to put an exclamation point on his night.
The Dogs southpaw took a tough luck loss, dropping him to 0-2 on the year.
Chicago started their climb back into the game thanks to a two-out error in the bottom of the second frame. Sioux City center fielder Jay Austin dropped a fly ball off the bat of Tony Rosselli allowing Rosselli to reach second base. After a Matt Dean single put men on the corners, Chicago catcher Mike Falsetti cashed in an RBI with a single to shallow center field.
After a Falsetti stolen bag, Sioux City starter Justin Vernia bowed his back to strand two in scoring position and escape the inning. The Dogs ultimately stranded nine men on base in the game.
Falsetti struck again in the bottom of the fourth inning with another two-out RBI, this time on a solo home run to left field. The long ball was the second of the year for Falsetti.
Much like Barnes, Vernia then settled in, allowing just one base runner and no hits over his final two frames. The Sioux City right-hander earned the win, his seventh of the season, allowing only one earned run and striking out six batters over his six innings of work.
Chicago mounted a rally in the bottom of the eighth, thanks to a lead-off hit-by-pitch of Treysen Vavra. Sioux City reliever Tyler Fallwell hit Vavra on the finger, to put the lead-off man aboard, although Varva would exit the game. After a strike out of Joe Benson, Dalton Blaser delivered a base hit to put men on the corners with just one out. Consecutive ground outs by Jonathan Moroney and Tony Rosselli fanned the flame for the Dogs, and pushed the game to the ninth inning with the X's still up 3-2.
The Dogs staged one final rally in the bottom of the ninth. Kenny Wilson advanced to second on a two-out, two-base error by Sermo, but Edwin Arroyo struck out swinging against Sioux City closer Eric Karch to end the game.
Karch earned the save, his eighth of the season.
The Dogs and and Explorers will resume their three-game series Tuesday night at Impact Field. Sioux City will send Luis Mateo to the mound, while Chicago will counter with left-hander Evan Smith.
First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. The game will be broadcast at www.thechicagodogs.com/broadcasts/ with the Crowne Plaza Pregame Show beginning at 6:45 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 10, 2018
- X's Bats Held in Check against Chicago - Sioux City Explorers
- Kane's Start and Offensive Outburst Buoy Wingnuts - Wichita Wingnuts
- The T-Bones Cash in on Two Errors in 2-1 Win - Kansas City T-Bones
- Errors Pile up for Saltdogs in 2-1 Loss - Lincoln Saltdogs
- St. Paul Thwarts Cleburne, Capturing Consecutive Home Wins for the First Time Since May - St. Paul Saints
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Railroaders Drop Second Game in St. Paul - Cleburne Railroaders
- Canaries Beat Goldeyes in Longest Game in League History - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Canaries Win Longest Game in League History - Sioux Falls Canaries
- AirHogs Roar Back to Clinch Series vs. RailCats - Texas AirHogs
- You Complete Me: Saints Get Starter Trevor Foss to Round out Rotation - St. Paul Saints
- Season-High 15 Left on Base Too Much to Overcome in 7-4 Loss to Texas - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- X's Win Inaugural Meeting with Dogs - Sioux City Explorers
- RedHawks Seize Extra-Inning Opener - Wichita Wingnuts
- T-Bones Hold Onto Early Lead Despite Pitching Woes - Kansas City T-Bones
- AirHogs Open Gary Series with 5-3 Win - Texas AirHogs
- Dogs Comeback Bid Falls Short in 3-2 Series-Opening Loss - Chicago Dogs
- Saltdogs Nine-Run Comeback Attempt Dies with Tying Run on Base - Lincoln Saltdogs
- McCann Drives in Four as Goldeyes Mount Comeback - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Goldeyes Slip Past Canaries in Ninth - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Railroaders Can't Overcome Early Deficit In Loss To Saints - Cleburne Railroaders
- Offensive Explosion as Saints Down Railroaders 8-5 - St. Paul Saints
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Dogs Stories
- Dogs and Saltdogs Suspended in Rosemont, Will Resume Sunday
- Wilson's Late Blast Lifts Dogs to Series Win over St. Paul
- Dogs to Host Gold Glove Charities Event Benefitting Children Fighting Cancer
- Torrez, Vavra Lead Chicago to 6-3 Win over St. Paul
- Dogs Spoil Strong Start from Simms, Lose 2-1